Saitama I Setlist Watch and Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver said:
Aaaaaand Electrical Storm DOES maintain its record of being the only U2 single to never be performed live.

:hmm: now that you mention it, ES would fit quite well anywhere between ISHFWILF and Bad/40. :wink:

I think this trio would sound great together:

BD
WITS
ES

Although I haven't quite figured out in which order.

Definitely time for me to get a few more hours of sleep.

:wave:

Last edited:
they must dig up something really special at the next couple of shows to top this.

What an interesting setlist, I hope there will be a recording for WITS.
I seriously did not expect WTH to return tonight, but the band seem to like it so much they took it with them over to Japan. Lucky people in Tokyo!
I just wish LAPOE and Kite would return for any of the remainings shows, please!

Miringeltje said:

Have a great time at the 3rd show in Japan, fragrant!

Arigato!!!

Really, who could ask for a better rally for Monday's show.

I leave on Friday and can't wait.

BTW, numbers were used for entry, BUT, my friends who were supposed to be in the back blocks ended up front rail Adam's stage. They must have been close to 4U2Play. It's good news that there are glitches in the system...I hope...gets me more psyched. :D

:drool: :

Window in the Skies debut
One Tree Hill as the closer

:madspit: :

Kicking out Love and Peace or Else and Zoo Station, two of the most rocking (along with The Fly) and the best songs of the whole tour (along with - you guessed it - The Fly, City of Blinding Lights and The Electric Co.) is totally bizarre.

I Will Follow-I Still Haven´t Found combo: boring.

U2girl said:

I didn't look back at all the pages - any word on whether WITS was acoustic or full band?

It was full band. It:s really quite a gorgeous song. i hadn:t heard it until tonight.

djerdap said:
:drool: :

Window in the Skies debut
One Tree Hill as the closer

:madspit: :

Kicking out Love and Peace or Else and Zoo Station, two of the most rocking (along with The Fly) and the best songs of the whole tour (along with - you guessed it - The Fly, City of Blinding Lights and The Electric Co.) is totally bizarre.

I Will Follow-I Still Haven´t Found combo: boring.
once again, am sure was boring for those that were there

maycocksean said:

I did miss Zoo Station but I bet I:ll be in tomorrow night.

I'm not so confident about that. I thought it would be used at one of the two shows in both Melbourne and Auckland, but all four of those gigs had Fly/MW/WOWY as their first encore. I think the best hope for Zoo Station is the third Saitama gig. I also fear that if it is played at one of the three remaining shows, that will probably be its last performance for quite some time.

Axver said:

I'm not so confident about that. I thought it would be used at one of the two shows in both Melbourne and Auckland, but all four of those gigs had Fly/MW/WOWY as their first encore. I think the best hope for Zoo Station is the third Saitama gig. I also fear that if it is played at one of the three remaining shows, that will probably be its last performance for quite some time.

At this point, since Zoo Station has had its run on this tour, it wouldn't bother me if it didn't come back. They played it. They dropped it and played some other cool stuff.
Axver, I know this question is hard to answer since U2 adds more songs to their repetoire with every album, but at this point, how is Vertigo comparing to previous tours for sheer variety?

bgmckinney said:

At this point, since Zoo Station has had its run on this tour, it wouldn't bother me if it didn't come back. They played it. They dropped it and played some other cool stuff.
Axver, I know this question is hard to answer since U2 adds more songs to their repetoire with every album, but at this point, how is Vertigo comparing to previous tours for sheer variety?

I'm just glad that U2 dug into their back catalogue and dug out something other than I Will Follow or Pride. I'd like to see a bit more of songs of Zoo Station's popularity - songs from big albums that are often overlooked in favour of the huge hits, such as In God's Country or Exit or Acrobat or Love Is Blindness.

I think it is fair to say that Vertigo has been one of U2's most varied tours. As you say, that question is a tough one to answer, but I would be willing to say that it is indeed the most diverse of all of U2's tours. Some other tours have their total song count blown out by things such as Edge's karaoke on Popmart, while on Vertigo, almost all songs noted as being performed separately and independently were actually played in full or nearly there. Plus, Vertigo has been the first tour since Lovetown to feature a song from every album currently released. Alas, it did not achieve the feat of featuring a song from every currently released album in a single set: the last show to do that was 9 January 1990 (which has the last performance of God Part II and, until this tour, the last performances of Gloria and One Tree Hill ... all in a row!).

I think that 'Until The End Of The World' will come back tonight, as it replaces 'Zoo Station' although ZOO would be great to hear.

Interesting that Miss Sarajevo was played, do the Japanese know Italian opera?

theu2fly said:

You're fucking kidding, right?

That comment was a joke, right?

... wow. Even if that is a joke, that comment is inexcusable.

theu2fly said:
I think that 'Until The End Of The World' will come back tonight, as it replaces 'Zoo Station' although ZOO would be great to hear.

Are you serious? Japanese are CRAZY for classical music. They travel the world because of it. I live in Vienna and know what I am talking about.

Axver said:

I'm just glad that U2 dug into their back catalogue and dug out something other than I Will Follow or Pride. I'd like to see a bit more of songs of Zoo Station's popularity - songs from big albums that are often overlooked in favour of the huge hits, such as In God's Country or Exit or Acrobat or Love Is Blindness.

I think it is fair to say that Vertigo has been one of U2's most varied tours. As you say, that question is a tough one to answer, but I would be willing to say that it is indeed the most diverse of all of U2's tours. Some other tours have their total song count blown out by things such as Edge's karaoke on Popmart, while on Vertigo, almost all songs noted as being performed separately and independently were actually played in full or nearly there. Plus, Vertigo has been the first tour since Lovetown to feature a song from every album currently released. Alas, it did not achieve the feat of featuring a song from every currently released album in a single set: the last show to do that was 9 January 1990 (which has the last performance of God Part II and, until this tour, the last performances of Gloria and One Tree Hill ... all in a row!).

I doubt anything will ever top the amazement I felt at two moments on this tour: when An Cat and Gloria were included on Leg 1 (An Cat! I still can't get over that); and when Miss Sarajevo showed up in Amsterdam with Bono singing Pavarotti's part. No one could have seen that coming. And now, with OTH back in the set... who knows what the future holds?

KUEFC09U2 said:
once again, am sure was boring for those that were there

Once again, talking about the setlist, not about the performance.

djerdap said:

Once again, talking about the setlist, not about the performance.
well of course its going to look boring, hardly like words on a computer screen can sing is it?

KUEFC09U2 said:
well of course its going to look boring, hardly like words on a computer screen can sing is it?

Riiiight.

Well, I do hope they mix it already on the 2nd night, with Until the End of the World/New Year´s Day instead of I Will Follow/I Still Haven´t Found, The First Time instead of Walk On, Love and Peace or Else back in it, Zoo Station instead of Mysterious Ways and Kite, but not instead of One Tree Hill. Put One Tree Hill in the main set and Kite as a closer or something like that.

Anyone know anything about that Window in the Skies performance? Did Bono play piano?

1stepcloser said:

Was The Sweetest Thing ever performed live?

Yep, a number of times on the Elevation Tour. Bono played the piano. Did he repeat that today?

I was dreading coming here tonight, as I expected a full-on flaming after I stopped texting the playlist... but it looks like someone was resourceful enough to continue with the updates, so thanks for covering my ass on this one!

The reception inside the arena was terrible, so I wasn't even sure that any of the messages were getting through.... I noticed my IWF text didn't make it.

The problem I had from the beginning was the rowdy crowd. We were on the rail in front of Adam, but there was such a crush from behind, it's a wonder I didn't break bones trying to text all the songs. It took all my wits just to hold onto my rail spot.

As it was, my phone died anyway halfway through, stupidass me didn't charge it up the night before. Someone called me from inside the arena, sounded like a Aussie lass, she said she was near Adam's B-stage. I asked her if she could please take over the texting tonight, because I was getting flattened up front, but she couldn't do it for some reason...

So, I owe everyone a big apology! Gomenasai!

I probably won't be able to text tomorrow, either, since I'm thinking of ways to film the show from inside the barrier...

By the way, I met someone who told me she was going to record the show with her audio rig. She doesn't torrent any of her stuff, she just keeps it all for herself, but she's open to sharing, so I'll get in touch with her when I get back home after Hawaii and try to get all three audio recordings from her then, if they haven't already appeared over at U2torrents.

It's 12:30am here in Tokyo and I'm absolutely knackered, plus my poor ribs are killing me (damn rowdy Japanese U2 fans!), so I'll hopefully check in again over the next couple of days.

Lots of interesting details about the show here tonight! Very strange to see the outdoor stage indoors...

Take care,
Nick

4U2Play said:

As it was, my phone died anyway halfway through, stupidass me didn't charge it up the night before. Someone called me from inside the arena, sounded like a Aussie lass, she said she was near Adam's B-stage. I asked her if she could please take over the texting tonight, because I was getting flattened up front, but she couldn't do it for some reason...

So, I owe everyone a big apology! Gomenasai!

Not at all Nick. Thanks for stepping up and wanting to do this setlist. :)

That could have been my friend Carly at Adam's stage...glad that she was able to reach you. :D

So much for the reputation of low key Japanese fans. LOL. Take away the assigned seats and they are ready to go! Sorry about your sore ribs, but I am psyched that there was lots of excitement....hopefully it wasn't too much.

And good for you for getting to the front. How did the line situation work?

Thanks again!!!!!

Rest up!!! Two more to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom