Rose Bowl Show to be filmed for DVD + Webcast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you guys think that this will be released in Blue Ray? My other question is... what happens to the Claw now? Where will it be stored?

Edge is going to plop it down on top of his house in LA, on the mountains he destroyed.

I think he only had an LA one - but yes it was set out at all shows. I think it was something his kids gave him - in that each night while at work he had a pleasant reminder of his family.

There were ones from each city. They clearly showed a Phoenix and Vegas one at their respective shows.

Sorry if I'm spamming this question in 3 different threads, but I'm hoping to find someone that can help:

I have a question for people who attended the Rose Bowl Red Zone. Did you all receive your follow up email after the show that included the photo gift of the claw from the show? Not the Ticketmaster email survey, I received that one, but the other one with the photo I didn't get. Can someone post the photo here? I'd like to see it!

Sorry if I'm spamming this question in 3 different threads, but I'm hoping to find someone that can help:

I have a question for people who attended the Rose Bowl Red Zone. Did you all receive your follow up email after the show that included the photo gift of the claw from the show? Not the Ticketmaster email survey, I received that one, but the other one with the photo I didn't get. Can someone post the photo here? I'd like to see it!

I was in RED1 near u bonocomet, I didn't get either email you are referring to. sorry...

Oh you were?! Did we meet at all? :reject:

Ok maybe they didn't send out that email yet then :hmm: Ramblin Rose said she received all hers from other shows about a week later so I thought they just didn't send me one. Maybe they still will hopefully!

no, we didn't meet but I was about midsection RED1 (near the entrance) and 3-4 rows deep. I saw from another thread you said you were towards the front of the RZ at the rail. Anyway maybe we will still get those emails, I'll let you know if I get one...

did u already get seats for anaheim? I'm wondering what RZ will close at there. Considering the second rose bowl aucion closed at $555 I'm assuming Anaheim may end up somewhere around that unfortunately...

no, we didn't meet but I was about midsection RED1 (near the entrance) and 3-4 rows deep. I saw from another thread you said you were towards the front of the RZ at the rail. Anyway maybe we will still get those emails, I'll let you know if I get one...

did u already get seats for anaheim? I'm wondering what RZ will close at there. Considering the second rose bowl aucion closed at $555 I'm assuming Anaheim may end up somewhere around that unfortunately...

Ah ok thanks :wave:

Yes I got seats for Anaheim, but I'm also bidding on RZ with the small hope that it will stay in my price range and I'll sell the seats, so I'm hoping!

not sure if there's a topic on this elsewhere, but on U2.com, there's what looks like a DVD cut of Ultraviolet from Rose Bowl...pretty cool :up:

EDIT: nevermind haha, I guess it's just the youtube broadcast in better quality, sorry haha

If they're smart they'll re-film this. Not a great show for them imo and it will rank fairly low on the overall U2 concert film scale. Like, maybe just ahead of Boston Elevation.

Yeah so they can be at a venue where i'm at!

But honestly i think they will probably release the dvd because of the huge youtube craze....it was odd it was filmed so early into the tour.

If they're smart they'll re-film this. Not a great show for them imo and it will rank fairly low on the overall U2 concert film scale. Like, maybe just ahead of Boston Elevation.

I actually agree with this....I just don't think the performance just was good enough to release on DVD....it's a shame because of the crowd, the Rose Bowl, everything is great...but the performance was lacking...songs like Ultraviolet, while they sounded great, were not represented well...I seriously doubt they're going to do this though, unfortunately.

GOYB intro failed (Edge kicks in the big muff way too late), Bono sounds ridiculous during the Crazy outro, and so on. First of all, the concert is unfortunately filled with smaller errors, which I even wouldn't mind that much. What bothers me about the concert is that Bono is 100% aware of the cameras and their purpose and puts on an absolute unnecessary show! He's trying too hard and you can tell. I don't find the webcast enjoyable to watch at all.

Pity, because the location would have been perfect.

I wasnt around here back in 01, but seriously whats so bad about boston ? I watch the dvd often and its a brilliant performance.

And about Rose Bowl, i think once the DVD is out the sound will be perfect, more interesting camera angles, and all the errors cleaned up. Should be a brilliant DVD. Dont see why your all knocking the performance, the band was wild.

how are you basing this judgement?

On a quasi-qualitative comparison of good to excellent audience recordings of songs from the last few tours (over 3-4 shows per tour) played through my reference monitors. My criteria has nothing to do with the crowd or song selection, but simply how well they performed their various parts in the songs compared to how well they performed them at other shows this tour and past tours.

Using the webcast audio would make it even worse, so to be fair I didn't even bother with that.

On DVD it will probably be fine. Since the band clearly went to a lot of trouble and expense in arranging for a full scale crew and recording, they're bound to release it eventually. I do hope it's re-edited though. For me, the most thrilling moment of the concert I went to was when the Claw erupted with light during the intro for Streets, yet the Youtube Rose Bowl stream did indeed inexplicably cut to a terrible shot of an onstage cameraman! (What price on the audio being offered as a future U2.com subscriber gift?!)

Random question - have U2 ever commissioned a concert recording and not released the results? The most obvious one I'm thinking of is Milan 2005, which was only given a partial release. (I wouldn't class Dortmund 84 here, by the way. It was a TV broadcast that perhaps should've been on TUF remaster DVD, but the source wasn't commissioned by U2 themselves.)

On DVD it will probably be fine. Since the band clearly went to a lot of trouble and expense in arranging for a full scale crew and recording, they're bound to release it eventually. I do hope it's re-edited though. For me, the most thrilling moment of the concert I went to was when the Claw erupted with light during the intro for Streets, yet the Youtube Rose Bowl stream did indeed inexplicably cut to a terrible shot of an onstage cameraman! (What price on the audio being offered as a future U2.com subscriber gift?!)

Random question - have U2 ever commissioned a concert recording and not released the results? The most obvious one I'm thinking of is Milan 2005, which was only given a partial release. (I wouldn't class Dortmund 84 here, by the way. It was a TV broadcast that perhaps should've been on TUF remaster DVD, but the source wasn't commissioned by U2 themselves.)

One of the Dublin shows in 2005 (I want to say the third one) was fully filmed, but only for "archival purposes".

On DVD it will probably be fine.

Of course it will, it was never the intention that the webcast and DVD be the same. I'm kinda shocked that so many people are proceeding under this assumption.

Well speaking for myself I'm only talking about the quality of how the songs were performed, not the sound quality or what camera pans they decided to go with.

So on that count, unless they intend to do a bit of overdubbing...and I know they've done this in times past but this is a bit of a different situation...and this is why I say they should just leave the webcast as it is, a webcast, and refilm on another day..because there are a considerable number of areas that are candidates for 'fixing' with overdubs. It will end up sounding dramatically different and I'm not so sure that would be a good move.

Well speaking for myself I'm only talking about the quality of how the songs were performed, not the sound quality or what camera pans they decided to go with.

So on that count, unless they intend to do a bit of overdubbing...and I know they've done this in times past but this is a bit of a different situation...and this is why I say they should just leave the webcast as it is, a webcast, and refilm on another day..because there are a considerable number of areas that are candidates for 'fixing' with overdubs. It will end up sounding dramatically different and I'm not so sure that would be a good move.

I knew what you were talking about(just suprised by how many think the webcast is what we are going to get) and actually agree, that's why I would prefer a few nights recorded and do a best of...

30-minute pre-show?

I understand there was a 30-minute pre-show with the various videos and Rocko Reedy's peptalk to the audience. Could someone please share this with me? It’s not in the rebroadcast.

I have other digital items to trade.

Back
Top Bottom