Rose Bowl Show to be filmed for DVD + Webcast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For those of you that watched the youtube stream, did Bono miss the opening parts of Beautiful Day? I was in the pit and there was no audio on the first two lines, but I couldn't tell if Bono missed it or if it was due to technical issues. If he did miss the lines, how are they going to fix that for the DVD?

if you had a problem with Bono's voice last night, go listen to the Elevation Boston bootleg, and then get back to me.

I did. The beginning of WOWY in particular, is better. Bono is actually singing the opening verses. There's a difference in the technique he's using, and the one on Boston Elevation is more difficult. At the end of Boston WOWY, however, he completely falls apart, and pulls it together last night towards the end of the song, so there's that I guess.. :up:

Anyways, watching the fan-shot WOWY on youtube, his voice sounds better. There is definitely something different in the mix..too much ambience mic, too much reverb, Edge up a bit too high, not sure, but the official streamed youtube is not a good representation imo.

For those of you that watched the youtube stream, did Bono miss the opening parts of Beautiful Day? I was in the pit and there was no audio on the first two lines, but I couldn't tell if Bono missed it or if it was due to technical issues. If he did miss the lines, how are they going to fix that for the DVD?

his mic packed in. He was swiftly handed a replacement

I have to say....that due to the nature of the Rose Bowls design......i think the crowd at least looks impressive in the pics i have seen

Same here. The few longs shots we got of the stage with the crowd reminded me of Slane a little bit...and when the lights were on them they were in to it!

I agree that it was too dark throughout most of the 1st half, and I honestly thought there was a lighting glich because BOno was in the dark so much and so was the crowd. How in the world could you judge the crowd when the hardly showed them at all? Were they supposed to be jumping during Stuck and ISHFWILF? Umm no. I thought the hand clapping during CRAZY was cool!

Crowd close up shots were sadly missing, I hope they add them in for the DVD!

Why does everyone keep saying Bono's voice sucked on the Elevation tour. IMO it was the best. It was smooth and he quit smoking for awhile around that time. Since Vertigo, he can't get close to high notes and it sounds rougher than ever.

Ummm, no. Elevation voice was his worst, sometimes even worse than Popmart. Vertigo was much better, not always great, but overall better and improving since. The fifth Vertigo leg was simply phenomenal. But the Elevation shows are hard to listen to. And he smoked throughout the tour. I don't know if he's smoking now, but his voice seems to be in better shape now.

Am i the olnly one that doenst notice Bonos voice good and bad performances? I would say he cant belt them out like he used to JT-AB period, but i reallt dont get this whole popmart/elevation thing. I just enjoy the songs.

what was wrong with the elevation tour and what's so great about his voice now?

There was nothing wrong with the tour, just Bono's voice - or lack of one.

His voice is better now (not great) because he doesn't sound like he just smoked a carton of cigarettes…

Also, he can actually hit some falsetto parts as opposed to squawking through them or not singing them at all.

There was nothing wrong with the tour, just Bono's voice - or lack of one.

His voice is better now (not great) because he doesn't sound like he just smoked a carton of cigarettes…

Also, he can actually hit some falsetto parts as opposed to squawking through them or not singing them at all.

i guess we just haven't a different ear for smokers voice

Since Vertigo, he can't get close to high notes and it sounds rougher than ever.

Vertigo tour was far better he Elevation, just compare BD, Bad, WTSHNN, ISHFWILF, Desire from Vertigo to the Elevation versions. Elevation had a few highlights but his voice wasnt weak at all on Vertigo.

Looking back at the archived one, i so hope they go back and edit the sound/angles for some songs. The sound is just awful compared to there other dvd's. Im not moaning, just when its actually released i hope the sound is alot more clearer and simple(no echo's or any effects). Atm from the stream the dvd has the potential to be up there with slane, with some tweaks i hope they sort out. I cant imagine bono looking back and saying yes perfect, release it.

his voice was find imo....yeah...maybe a little rough....but not terrible by any means. there was no obvious cracking during the time i watched

Same here. The few longs shots we got of the stage with the crowd reminded me of Slane a little bit...and when the lights were on them they were in to it!

I agree that it was too dark throughout most of the 1st half, and I honestly thought there was a lighting glich because BOno was in the dark so much and so was the crowd. How in the world could you judge the crowd when the hardly showed them at all? Were they supposed to be jumping during Stuck and ISHFWILF? Umm no. I thought the hand clapping during CRAZY was cool!

Crowd close up shots were sadly missing, I hope they add them in for the DVD!

Agreed! It was an excellent venue + energetic (GA) crowd so it will be a great dvd. My only minor complaint after watching it two times is that Bono's voice was not representative for the 360 tour, but I think in the end the energy he put in his performance makes up for it. Maybe a bit too much, cause after running the circle during the intro of COBL he lost a bit of control over his voice.

I'm watching it now. Wow, Mysterious Ways is amazing :hyper: :ohmy:

Bono's voice isn't too bad. Not really as great as it could be, but ok.

But why didn't they show more of the light show? It's so dark most of the time.

Yeah It's really dark. Much darker than all those audience shot videos on youtube. Almost no lights from the business units/stands like in most other stadiums, which is a good thing IMO.

I'm watching it now via AppleTV on a Plasma TV. Excellent stuff!! :applaud:

Watched the stream again. The audio mix is extremely spotty, but that's easily fixed. The director of the stream needs shot, not only was the entire show too dark but he actually managed to miss every major lighting cue and a lot of the time Edge and Bono. Not enough establishing shots, I don't think the guy had much experience of directing live broadcasts which is a completely different beast to filming a show. Again the editing is easily fixed, not really sure what they're going to do with the limited exposure though.

weird. the stream worked fine for me last night, but YouTube won't even load for me right now.

Back
Top Bottom