Reviewing From The Sky Down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DevilsShoes

War Child
Just watched the BBC broadcast of FTSD and wanted to share some thoughts. I know there's already a thread about this, but it seems to have gotten a little off-topic and now that people can actually see the film (or at least will be able to very soon), I thought it might be nice to have a serperate thread where people can air their views. However if the mods wish to merge the two, feel free to do so.

Deep breath, here goes.

I really enjoyed the documentary. It takes a peculiar angle in that, rather than focusing directly on the making of AB, it spends most of its 90 minutes running time analysing that difficult and traumatic moment between Rattle and Hum and Achtung Baby, between the end of Eighties and the start of the Nineties. It’s far more about the personal relationships between the four members, rather than the music itself and is really the tale of how U2 survived where so many of their precursors imploded.

Each member is allowed to put forward their version of events, but most of the focus is given over to Bono and Edge, who are far more open and honest about things than I ever anticipated. For whatever reason, this material cut closer to home than the details already divulged in U2 by U2, maybe because you could actually hear the guy’s voices, rather than merely read their words.

There’s real insight into the bands mind-set around about the time of JT and the subsequent tour. Commercially and culturally it launched them into the stratosphere, but behind all the success there’s a tangible feeling of doubt, insecurity and inadequacy. Fame appears to hit them like a freight train and none of them know really how to deal with it. There’s some first class archive footage of Bono in touring-mode, by turns playful, restless, edgy and, at times, irate. The confident and flamboyant frontman is revealed to be a far more uncertain and disconcerted figure away from the spotlight. This is the sort of stuff U2 by U2 could only really hint at, being able to actually see Bono talk to his fellow band mates about his anxieties regarding the set-list or the vulnerability and anger he feels at having to step out onto the high-wire on a nightly basis is far more impactful.

As I was watching this stuff, I couldn’t help but think that this is exactly the kind of footage that should have ended up in R&H. The live cuts are of course phenomenal but the off-stage footage is far too anodyne. I understand that the band wanted to present a certain image of themselves, but the movie would have been far more compelling and resonant had some of this material been rescued from the cutting room floor.

At the very least I think the critics would have perhaps cut them a little more slack, it would have been so much more powerful to have been able to directly contrast Bono’s overly earnest stage persona with the uptight and all-too human individual behind the scenes . Some of those accusations of overblown egotism may have been deflected or at least diminished somewhat had they been able to see that. We tend to think of The Fly as being the first proper character Bono created, but this documentary proves he’d been doing it pretty much right from the start.

There’s also a sizeable chunk of excellent Lovetown footage too, with actual audio of both Streets and 40 from the New Years gig, I think. Am I naïve for thinking that if they’ve got the first and last song on tape they must have everything else in between? If so, then the footage for a DVD exists, it’s just a case of getting it out there. I really hope some of this stuff ends up on the R&H remaster.

In Berlin, there’s plenty of insight into just how dark and difficult things were, you really get a sense of just how near they came to complete collapse. We’ve all heard the story of how One appeared to arrive out of thin air, so it’s really interesting to actually hear the tapes that document these unique moments. Just listening to the band and Bono groping for melody and lyrics is absolutely fascinating, there’s a real mix of excitement, eagerness and desperation to cling to this moment and hold onto it for as long as possible.

I think if you’re looking for a ‘making of AB’ documentary then this isn’t it, only MW and One get any real attention, with some brief detail about how Bono hit upon the idea of The Fly, but apart from that, there’s precious little on offer. With that said though, you do get a spine-chilling version of LIB with Edge on acoustic and the animation used to depict the emotion of any given moment is just fantastic. Particularly effective are Bono’s memories of turning his grannies front room into a cathedral whilst playing the piano and the self-imposed prison cells built during the dark days of Hansa.

It’s the strength and fragility of the bond that exists between U2 that this film is really interested in talking about, AB and ZOO TV take second billing to the personal relations. Maybe U2 were just too stubborn to break up, but I think their willingness to negotiate some significant growing pains with sometimes brutal honesty is a key reason why they’ve survived for so long and why they’ve managed to resurrect themselves so successfully time and time again.

DevilsShoes, as usual your posts are outstanding. I was somewhat turned off by the online trailer I saw of From The Sky Down, as it seemed to show lots of contemporary interviews with Bono in hammy-mode, which simply doesn't interest me. However, your review makes clear the focus of the film, and now I am certainly going to watch it.

(My first priority this weekend was the Scorcese George Harrison doc, which I watched last night. So, U2 are next!)

Great review!

And yeah, I think the story is that everything, concert-wise is documented and squirreled away somewhere. So I have no doubt that the entire Point Depot shows exist.

Absolutely spot-on review, DevilsShoes. Thank you for creating this thread!

I do agree that anyone expecting a 'making of' will be disappointed. I was pleased with the doc myself because I wasn't expecting that. They seem to have glazed over Adam's difficulties but quite honestly we don't need to hear EVERYTHING about U2. I was a bit anxious to NOT hear dirty laundry about Edge's divorce, and I was glad to see that DG treated it with respect and the effect was heartbreaking and not cringeworthy.

Needless to say as an Uber-Edge fan, Love Is Blindness spellbound me... and I was also really excited to hear Edge singing So Cruel too. Bono was very self-effacing which will come as no surprise to those of us who know more about him than the average Joe - I just hope that comes across to those who have some kind of hatred for him.

And to those who say a documentary can't change people's minds, take it from an Edge fan who has seen countless people gain a new respect for him after seeing IMGL... and these are people who dismissed him because they quote-unquote "hate U2" or thought "Edge sucks because he uses too many effects".

I hope this documentary changes some minds and I absolutely agree that if Rattle & Hum (which I still love because I didn't need MY mind changed about U2) had more behind-the-scenes realism... the critics may have thought differently.

We'll have to see what they say about this one - but the reviews out of TIFF were largely good. Overall this is a keeper.

I was a bit anxious to NOT hear dirty laundry about Edge's divorce, and I was glad to see that DG treated it with respect and the effect was heartbreaking and not cringeworthy.

What, really? :huh:

Why should Davis Guggenheim make a doc about the band members' personal lives that leaves them in a bad light? I don't think there's any reason for that. Him and Edge have nothing but trust and respect for each other after having done It Might Get loud. From The Sky Down is not a tabloid doc about failed marriages or the band members fighting, it's about group dynamics, the evolution of the band and about them overcoming a difficult time of crisis, something that many of us can learn from. That's what I am interested in. A "making of" would be nice, but IMO boring. I really love how they put emphasis on the healing power of music here. I think that's an interesting issue and an original and welcome approach among so many music documentaries that focus on "making ofs" or tours and live shows.

Great reviews. I'm personally glad to hear that it's not a making-of documentary, because that would bore me; I'm not musically inclined, so the nuts and bolts of making music is not interesting to me at all. The story of how U2 made it through this time period and their relationships with each other is what is so fascinating to me and it's about time someone made a decent film about it. I can't wait to see it!

What, really? :huh:

Why should Davis Guggenheim make a doc about the band members' personal lives that leaves them in a bad light? I don't think there's any reason for that. Him and Edge have nothing but trust and respect for each other after having done It Might Get loud. From The Sky Down is not a tabloid doc about failed marriages or the band members fighting...

What? Did you read what I said?? I said before I went in I was hoping I wouldn't have to hear dirty laundry about Edge's divorce... and that I really liked how Davis Guggenheim treated it with respect.

As if I'm going to wish he said anything bad about :edge:... seriously. :down: I kind of LOVE the guy a bit.

I was a bit anxious to NOT hear dirty laundry about Edge's divorce, and I was glad to see that DG treated it with respect and the effect was heartbreaking and not cringeworthy.

I do agree that anyone expecting a 'making of' will be disappointed. I was pleased with the doc myself because I wasn't expecting that. They seem to have glazed over Adam's difficulties but quite honestly we don't need to hear EVERYTHING about U2. I was a bit anxious to NOT hear dirty laundry about Edge's divorce, and I was glad to see that DG treated it with respect and the effect was heartbreaking and not cringeworthy.

I thought Adam's troubles only begain during the tour? During the recording of AB (after the Hansa times), he was happily dating Naomi C right? (if memory of At the End of The World serves).

Although I'm a huge Adam fan, for the sake of a historic piece of cinematographic documentation (and all other titles this film is being coveted with), I guess what the film covered was more insightful than Adam's issues. Tons of docus have been made about the rock'n'roll boozey lifestyle. Some other time, when it's all about the band members, we can cover the evolution of Adam:wink:

Just watched this.

It is unfinished and unfocused. Takes too long to get to Hansa, and the album itself does not get talked about enough.

The best moments : band playing AB songs in 2006 in Hansa Studios. Who's gonna ride...So Cruel (if a bit too fast) and LIB and Bono playing The fly on his guitar are great. Movie could use more of this, as well as the moments such as the familiar chords in Sick Puppy (the best moment in the movie).

The weakest link : too much pre-AB U2 history. This isn't a crash course on getting to know the band.

The weakest link : too much pre-AB U2 history. This isn't a crash course on getting to know the band.

As much as I agree with you U2girl about your crash course comment, I think that this background information is particularly important to those people who don't know who U2 really is.

What I mean is that someone who watches this doc may know Bono and who the Edge are, but really have no idea of how musically important they were historically with JT and their earlier catalogue of material.

I really felt this gave the viewer some insight into how "huge" they were musically and how they struggled individually dealing with fame and what happens next.

As for Edge's divorce. It is safe to say. It obviously affected all of the members of U2. On a side note, I've had some friends recently call it splitsville, and the way it has affected the rest of our crew has been disasterous. The doc dealt with it matter of factly. They are a clan....who are individuals. When one person isn't happy, the other three try their best to help the other.

My first ever shows were Zoo TV. The documentary brought be back in time to those shows in Toronto and that famous show in Auburn Hills.

The only think that "surprised me" was seeing Bono be so bossy during rehearsals.

The doc made me fall deeper in love with his band. It solidified what I knew already and also opened my eyes to the way they practice, communicate, and understand each other.

If you've ever played in a band yourself, this movie is also for you.

Cheers to a great flick, not just for U2 fans.

I just finished watching this for the second time in less than 24 hrs (and I see you lurking Mark ;)) Big up to my U2Brothr for hosting last night for round 1!

I really enjoyed this film through both viewings. Really love seeing the band together and I don't even know how to write a proper critique of the thing as I'm full of emotion watching a band I love so much be so candid. Alot of things about insecurities, self-doubt I felt after reading U2 by U2 really came through and I am just happy they let us into their souls a bit for the making of this film.

I admit they did alot of pre-Hansa gabbing...and maybe even at the expense of some more talk about the other songs on the album..like ACROBAT and LOVE IS BLINDNESS...that could really use a story or three to accompany the sheer genius that are those tracks..but a film has to be edited to a feature length and it's what the band decided to give us. I'm happy with it. If there's extra footage we somehow get our hands on later in time (a la RnH outtakes), all the better.

Great movie imo.

The doc made me fall deeper in love with his band. It solidified what I knew already and also opened my eyes to the way they practice, communicate, and understand each other.

Hehe, I see you weren't just lurking. :wink:

I second these comments!!

If you've ever played in a band yourself, this movie is also for you.

Absolutely agree!

As much as I agree with you U2girl about your crash course comment, I think that this background information is particularly important to those people who don't know who U2 really is.

^ ^

THIS.

I think he did an excellent job of impressing the die-hards as well as 'reintroducing' U2. Which was essential, as this documentary is overall more than just something that was "on the expensive box set"... it's actually a release that was at a film festival and he expects critics to watch etc.

I thought Adam's troubles only begain during the tour? During the recording of AB (after the Hansa times), he was happily dating Naomi C right? (if memory of At the End of The World serves).

Absolutely right... never thought of that, I guess I just see that whole period of Adam in that light, when in reality you're absolutely correct... the problems started very likely right after AB was recorded. I stand corrected. ;)

I think if you’re looking for a ‘making of AB’ documentary then this isn’t it, only MW and One get any real attention, with some brief detail about how Bono hit upon the idea of The Fly, but apart from that, there’s precious little on offer. With that said though, you do get a spine-chilling version of LIB with Edge on acoustic and the animation used to depict the emotion of any given moment is just fantastic.

As deep as AB is, I thought to focus on the chord progression of One and MW lyrics was a bit superficial. I was waiting to hear what inspired some of the deeper, darker lyrics. Too much self-censorship imo. I had heard about LIB in advance, but was disappointed by the voice-overs ruining it.

No, Adam and Naomi only started dating in late 1992, when Zoo TV was well on its way (Outside Broadcast).
As for his troubles, it depends on how you look at it to determine when it began. Him falling off the wagon big time wasn't until late 1993. But I think he admitted himself that he had more unpleasant situations over the years before that incident which he attributed to alcohol abuse. But those were probably seen as separate incidents (at most) and not recognized as a chronic problem. During the build-up to and recording of Achtung Baby it most likely didn't play a role at all.

According to @U2:
"In August 1989, Adam made headlines after two undercover cops busted him for possession of a small amount of marijuana in Dublin. To avoid conviction, the judge allowed Adam to make a "donation" of £25,000 to the Dublin Women's Aid Refugee Center. In U2 by U2, Adam described his conviction as a "minor offense that some individuals tried to blow up into something quite serious." At the time, Ireland was dealing with an expanding drug culture and the arrest was meant to send a message; however the story never got the traction authorities were looking for. Adam has since expressed regret over being caught breaking the law, but did not mind making a donation to the refugee center. Sadly, this was not to be the last time that he had to deal with substance abuse."

This was in addition to comments made by the band over the years that Adam was the only one in U2 in the early 80s taking advantage of the rock star lifestyle. But Bono praised him in interviews in the late 80s for saying, "Field Marshal Clayton! No matter what Adam's up to at night, if there's a meeting at 8 am, he's there at 8 am." So while it's clear there were indulgences prior to the early 90s, it sounds like things were at least under control.

The only person who really knows when Adam Clayton's problems started is Adam Clayton. Things snowballed out of control for him in late '93, but he may have been in a bad place for several years before that. Pointless to speculate, really.

The only person who really knows when Adam Clayton's problems started is Adam Clayton. Things snowballed out of control for him in late '93, but he may have been in a bad place for several years before that. Pointless to speculate, really.

Or he may have having a lot of fun for several years before that and it only became a problem in 93. It's pointless to speculate.

It drive me crazy how substance use is only spoken of in negative terms.

The documentary is really, really good. It's amusing how they hate their late 80s incarnation more than most people do.

A strong argument could me made for Rattle and Hum/Lovetown being their most experimental era.

I'm watching the documentary again. The part where they are listening to the DAT TEN recordings. I love Bono's face and Edge's face as they talk about the new bridge.....You clearly hear the chords for "One".....during Bono and Edge listening to this old tape. And you should see their faces do a double take on those mistakenly played chords. So good to have it recorded so that they could come back to it.....and make....."One".

It's almost comedic....A minor, D.....F...G........

IF YOU PLAY IN A BAND.....ALWAYS RECORD EVERYTHING....EVEN THE MULLING AROUND SHIT!

I'm watching the documentary again. The part where they are listening to the DAT TEN recordings. I love Bono's face and Edge's face as they talk about the new bridge.....You clearly hear the chords for "One".....during Bono and Edge listening to this old tape. And you should see their faces do a double take on those mistakenly played chords. So good to have it recorded so that they could come back to it.....and make....."One".

IF YOU PLAY IN A BAND.....ALWAYS RECORD EVERYTHING....EVEN THE MULLING AROUND SHIT!

The part that confuses me is that the film says that recording is from October 11, which would put it 1 week into the sessions... which seems to conflict with most accounts I've heard of the Hansa sessions.

The part that confuses me is that the film says that recording is from October 11, which would put it 1 week into the sessions... which seems to conflict with most accounts I've heard of the Hansa sessions.

Well, it could be that they went back to it later?

Really appreciate all the lovely comments about my (rambling) review, thanks to everyone who took the time to read it and post their thoughts.:)

Good to hear what people made of the doc.

I didn't mind the fact that the making of AB wasn't really dealt with in any detail, and for me, the decision to wind back the clock to the very beginning was kind of a neccessity. To understand the situation the band found themselves in after R&H we needed to chart the journey that had led to that very moment.

People just aren't as familiar with U2's history in the same way that they are The Beatles, the groundwork needed to be laid. As EdgeFest pointed out, this doc was made for anyone and everyone, not specifically the die-hard fans.

I was really pleased that they found a place for LIB, it's the albums real masterpiece IMO and would have seemed wrong had they not acknowledged in some way. It was almost as if the guys were saying 'hey it's not all about One you know.' I can just imagine a non-fan hearing this for the first time and seeking out AB for that track alone.

I think regarding the feeling that it was a little unfocused, there's quite a revealing comment made by the director in the sneak preview clip about how even he didn't know what kind of film he was making until it was completed. For him, documentary-making has to be a process of discovery, there has to be a journey involved, and the true essence of the film doesn't become known until you actually come to assemble it.

Whether or not this is the best approach is debatable, but I think on this particular occassion, his instincts were right.

Something that really stood out for me was Adam and Larry's comments that after the New Years gig, they felt a little abandoned by Bono and Edge. The former in particular makes it clear that he spent a good portion of that downtime in some pretty unpleasant places, both physically and emotionally probably. So I think we can safely assume that Adam had been dealing with his own demons a long time before his eventual meltdown in Sydney.

All in all, this has really whet my appetite for more of the same, my ideal scenario would be to see a kind of 'Beatles Anthology' release for U2. A multi-part series that takes a look at the whole saga whilst adopting the same level of honesty. Such a project would be be a massive undertaking of course, The Beatlers only lasted for 8 years and the whole thing far more manageable, a 30 year career is a whole different ball game.

Don't click if you don't like a spoiler!
Da Mysterious ways a One. - YouTube

Back
Top Bottom