Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched Clean last night. It stars Maggie Cheung as Emily, a singer trying to put the pieces of her life back together after her underachieving musician husband OD's on heroin she bought. She must deal with her in-laws (played by Nick Nolte and Martha Henry), to whom the court has awarded temporary custody of her son Jay. Emily vows to clean her life up so that she can get Jay back, but she struggles to find a job she can tolerate and a place where she feels like she really belongs.

What struck me most about this movie was its quietness. You'd think that a movie about a musician would be filled with music and loud places, but Emily always seems to find herself on the outside looking in. The movie was also beautifully filmed, filled with plenty of vibrant colors, which perfectly contrast the darkness of the subject matter.

Nick Nolte gives an excellent performance. I love how well he plays characters who are always about five minutes from falling apart. Maggie Cheung was very good, too, moving from a bitchy Yoko Ono type character early in the movie to a character I really cared about. The pacing was a bit slow, but overall, this was a very good movie.

8/10

8/10

The Departed. Great dialogue, intriguing story and well paced with a twist or two at the end, and the cast in top form.
DiCaprio proves he can lead a movie, and stands up very well against J. Nicholson (used to be De Niro in these type of roles in a Scorsese movie). Next to those two, the stand out and the gem of the movie is Mark Wahlberg. Baldwin's character is a little to similar to Wahlberg's and Martin Sheen is good too. I'm forgetting Matt Damon and I liked the woman connecting the both moles.

Last edited:
zodiac
8/10

very good

different from se7en

it mostly just follows the story
without too much sensationalism

all the actors do good work

black snake moan
5/10

and that may be too generous

ricci does about half the movie in her underpants :huh:

for awhile I thought I walked into that
dakota fanning movie that did not get released

Zodiac

7 or 8 /10

A little long, a little slow towards the middle, but it was very good and I was definitely interested in the story. I didn't know anything about the Zodiac killer or the case going into the movie.

Nice to see Anthony Edwards getting some work.

corianderstem said:
Zodiac

7 or 8 /10

A little long, a little slow towards the middle, but it was very good and I was definitely interested in the story. I didn't know anything about the Zodiac killer or the case going into the movie.

Nice to see Anthony Edwards getting some work.

:up:

I just got back from seeing this. It was really well-acted, and long, as you say. More of a psychological thriller than a blood & guts display...I liked that about it.

The only bit of violence that really bothered me (I had to turn away) was with the couple by the lake.

I'm used to gun violence in movies, but without spoiling anything, I'm not used to seeing that specific sort of murder on screen.

inconvenient truth- really good, and so concerning/shocking that i can't even brush it off as "haha that bitter al gore. ha" after the fact, not even a little. :uhoh:

triplets of belleville- one of the most bizarre movies i think i've ever seen.

godfather- first time i've seen this, fucking love this movie, i've already watched it a few times. so many good scenes...

VertigoGal said:

godfather- first time i've seen this, fucking love this movie, i've already watched it a few times. so many good scenes...

have you see Godfather II ?

if not

you are in for a real treat!

I didn't see Godfather I or II until only a year or so ago. I was so pleased that they did indeed live up to all they hype I'd heard about them for so many years.

I just saw Running With Scissors (God bless Netflix :heart: ). I was expecting a goofy, quirky comedy, which it was to an extent, but it was much darker than the trailers made it look. Some really touching parts, and good acting throughout. I'd watch it again. :)

Also saw Mr. and Mrs. Smith. Fun action flick. Brangelina definitely have the onscreen chemistry to match the offscreen. Angelina ain't too bad on the eyes, either. :wink:

corianderstem said:
The only bit of violence that really bothered me (I had to turn away) was with the couple by the lake.

I'm used to gun violence in movies, but without spoiling anything, I'm not used to seeing that specific sort of murder on screen.

That actually bothered me, as well.

*SPOILER AHEAD*

Not because of the graphic nature (I've seen much worse), but because the scene was so real emotionally, with the couple, and how they tried to reason with the killer using humor, etc. It was really sad...you get the sense the couple were also very much in love :(

I saw The Departed recently. Great movie! Jack, Leo, Damon, Wahlberg and Martin Sheen are among many who put on a great performance. Mark Wahlberg was really cool!

I have a confession to make: I actually saw two movies tonight...the other was The Astronaut Farmer. :reject:

I'm a sucker for anything space-related, but this was more movie-of-the-week material than a major Hollywood release. My dreams have better scripts. I'm sure kids would like it, but overall, a definite renter.

5/10

angelordevil said:

That actually bothered me, as well.

*SPOILER AHEAD*

Not because of the graphic nature (I've seen much worse), but because the scene was so real emotionally, with the couple, and how they tried to reason with the killer using humor, etc. It was really sad...you get the sense the couple were also very much in love :(

****more spoiler alert****

I guess the guy lived

that is why we got so much detail in that scene

also, did someone live in the first shooting attack?

deep said:

I guess the guy lived

**Continuing Spoiler***

Yeah, I think he did live, if I recall. The same with the guy in the first attack...he was the one who pointed to the killer's photo much later in the movie, when he sat down with the investigator.

deep said:

I guess the guy lived

Bah, beat to it by angelordevil. :wink:

Zodiac
8.5/10

I really enjoyed this movie, all of the actors did a great job. Robert Downey Jr. was hilarious. I liked the way that little bits of humor were thrown in to lighten the mood up, it helped the movie be not so depressing and dark. It was nice to see Anthony Edwards acting again, especially since I've been hooked on early ER episodes as of late. He is an excellent actor as well. It's long, and probably could have been cut a little, but I don't think it's overly done and it did keep me interested the whole movie.

Last edited:
angelordevil said:

**Continuing Spoiler***

Yeah, I think he did live, if I recall. The same with the guy in the first attack...he was the one who pointed to the killer's photo much later in the movie, when he sat down with the investigator.

**Continuing Spoiler***

so all the attacks we saw were recounted by someone that survived

with the exception of the taxi driver, but that info was from the kids and the knowledge that he took part of the guy's shirt

the rest of the killings we just hear about

that is why this movie is not that sensational and also seems so credible

it really is a damn good movie

Pan's Labyrinth

Really enjoyable, but also quite intense. The actors were all pretty amazing, most notably the little girl who played Ofelia, the main character. There are 3, 4 at most scenes that are graphic and received the "ewww reactions" but the last ones actually felt more satisfying than disturbing (Maribel Verdu is v. powerful onscreen). I didn't think it would be, but the story in the reality portion of the movie was as interesting as what was going on in Pan's world.

Last edited:
The Zodiac. (5 out of 10) Let's see it's about a serial killer in the bay area (where I am from). Now in the trailer the show alot of Jake Gyllenhal but in reality he really does not play a major role until the last hour and a half of the film. The movie was slow and way to long. Clocking in at 2hrs and 40 min to be excact.

The Marine. (1 out of 10) Cheesy (what do you expect from a WWE film) The acting was awful, the survival rate of John Cena surviving a hail of gun fire and explosions which seem to blow up a whole block or building is amazing and yet no scatch on him at all. watch it if you love cheese fest movies.

The Protector.( 10 out of 10) Starring Tony Jaa from Ong Bak Thai Warrior in his 2nd western released film is loads of fun. The fight scene towards the end had me tearing up at how beautiful the fight scene was and all the broken bone (tearing because of laughing that is) I Highly recommend this to anyone!

the departed- really good movie. it got long at parts but i really enjoyed the first hour and a half or so especially. the acting was great from everyone i thought. jesus christ, lots of people died. but the final one made it all worth it.

Being There

6/10

I've always heard so many great things about this movie. And while Peter Sellers remains awesome, it kind of put me to sleep.

Pan's Labyrinth
8/10

Stunning movie. It's foreign, so it's all in Spanish and has English subtitles. The entire story was gripping, a few scenes were cringeworthy, but nothing that isn't seen in every horror movie that comes out.

I realize that this one is slightly older, but I just recently saw Lost in Translation, which I thought was absolutely superb. The central relationship was exceedingly genuine and the characters were always believable. As a matter of fact, nothing about the film felt in any way contrived, which is something that I cannot say about most films that I have seen lately. I realize that this film polarized a lot of viewers, and I can understand how some would not enjoy it. It demands attention and requires analysis, and has some very strong existentialist themes running through it. For me, however, these things were all strong points. 10/10.

Lost in Translation is one of my favorite movies of all time. :love: It's so superb. A favorite moment of mine is when they're all in the apartment singing kareoke and Bill rocks out the Peace Love and Understanding. :cute:

Yes, it is emotional without being awkward or saccharine, which is something very difficult to accomplish; it is almost like the movie equivalent of the song Wish You Were Here.
The only thing unrealistic about it is this- I have worked in the Humanities for six years now, and I have never seen a philosophy major look like Scarlett Johannson.

cdisantis83 said:

The only thing unrealistic about it is this- I have worked in the Humanities for six years now, and I have never seen a philosophy major look like Scarlett Johannson.

:lol:

I've hardly seen any woman at all who looked like Scarlett Johannson.

:shifty:

2006-01-13-Scarlett.Johansson.HQ.1.jpg

:wink:

And I was going to review The Prestige, but I seem to have forgotten what I was going to say...

:drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom