Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No spoken words said:
The Live of Others.

9/10.

ETA - This is a German film with English subtitles.

Set in the GDR in 1984, when the state employed 100,000 people in the Stasi (E German secret service) and use another 200,000 people as official informers (That 300,000 total meant that one in every 50 East Germans worked or informed for the Stasi, unreal), story follows a Stasi member's surveillance of a playwrite who is living with his lead actress. The man watching them eventually, for reasons revealed in the film, becomes disenchanted with why he is watching the writer and the tension slowly builds from that point on.

It's just over 2 hours, and it is 100% plot and dialogue driven, and so some might deem it slow. I loved it, and it got a huge round of applause from the audience I watched it with, so they seemed to love it as well.

I don't read a lot of books

but, I read a hell of a lot of sub-titles

I don't even think about it once the film
gets going.

One word of advice, sit in the back 1/3 of the theater

you do not want to be in the front row
your neck will get tired

as for this movie being slow for some

I don't think so

A car chase is to create suspense, and peril

this movie has plenty of suspense, they are people at risk throughout

it is a roller coaster
and two characters do not get out alive

I just saw L.A. Confidential this week for the first time ever. :reject:

I loved it, but I love Russell Crowe and Kevin Spacey. :D

Before Sunset
10/10

i didn't have any high expectations whatsoever, mostly i didn't know what to expect..and now I'm mad at myself for never seeing this earlier. What a great film, ..reminded me a little of Woody Allen's classic work. Can't wait to go rent Before Sunrise, hopefully it will be just as good if not better!

deep said:

I don't read a lot of books

but, I read a hell of a lot of sub-titles

I don't even think about it once the film
gets going.

One word of advice, sit in the back 1/3 of the theater

you do not want to be in the front row
your neck will get tired

as for this movie being slow for some

I don't think so

A car chase is to create suspense, and peril

this movie has plenty of suspense, they are people at risk throughout

it is a roller coaster
and two characters do not get out alive

After 5 minutes of reading the subtitles you get used to it. I hope you are right about the film being slow, but, already at work I spoke to 2 people that saw it and one made that very complaint.

elevation2u said:
Before Sunset
10/10

i didn't have any high expectations whatsoever, mostly i didn't know what to expect..and now I'm mad at myself for never seeing this earlier. What a great film, ..reminded me a little of Woody Allen's classic work. Can't wait to go rent Before Sunrise, hopefully it will be just as good if not better!

Oh, wow, both films are fantastic. At least, they are to me. The dialogue, the chemistry of the actors, the cinematography, etc......just wonderful.

The Departed

8/10

I was surprised by how much I loved this movie. I loved all the twists and turns, and the acting was excellent. Jack Nicholson does creepy VERY well! :up: His last scene was especially good, IMO.

You have to time those new releases just right with the movies you return. :wink:

If there's a new release coming up on Tuesday that I want to see right away, I try to mail back a DVD so that it's there on Monday, and usually I'm able to get that new release shipped out the same day.

It helps that I'm so close to a distribution center and know it typically only takes a day for me to ship or receive DVDs.

Half Nelson

6.5/10

I was a little underwhelmed. Ryan Gosling was very, very good in this. Understated, rather than "OMG I'M A TOTAL DRUG ADDICT" histrionics.

It wasn't bad by any stretch, just not as good as I had expected.

Bridge to Terabithia 9.5/10

It seems that the only time I get to go out to a movie is when I take the kids but I have to say that "Bridge to Terabithia" is one of the best movies that I have ever taken my kids to.

It's rated "G" ~ no violence, no swearing, no nudity but don't let that scare you off.

It's the story of a boy and girl and the secret world they create in the woods behind their homes. It has all the drama of family life and school but all the fun that comes with it too.

For those of you who cry at the movies ~ bring some tissues ~ you'll need them :sad:

I really loved this movie :heart:

The Motorcycle Diaries 10/10

The true story of Ernesto "Che" Guevara and his friend Alberto Grando as they set out on an eye opening adventure across Latin America.

It's extremely beautifully shot. The relationship between Che and Alberto is amusing and charming. This is now on my favorite movie list. I loved it! It changes the way you will think. :heart: :up: :up:

The Departed

9/10

Great performances by all. Lots of violence, but needed for this type of movie, I think.
I think it will win best pic tonight....but I personally do not think it should.:|

The Illusionist
9/10

Very well done film. The acting by Edward Norton was great. The scenery was very beautiful. I might have to see it again because I was confused in some parts. I'm surprised it wasn't nominated for Best Picture.

I saw that Employee of the Month movie last night with Dane Cook and Jessica Simpson. It was OK, some good laughs but typical fall down humor fodder. Then in the credits I saw one of the Exec Producers was Joe Simpson, Jessica's dad. Blech.

Dreamgirls.

I thought it was ok. Liked the music for the most part, I'm a sucker for Motown or Motown-esque sounds.

Jennifer Hudson singing "And I am Telling You I'm Not Going" was easily the highlight for me.

U2Girl1978 said:
The Illusionist
9/10

Very well done film. The acting by Edward Norton was great. The scenery was very beautiful. I might have to see it again because I was confused in some parts. I'm surprised it wasn't nominated for Best Picture.

I saw this last weekend and really enjoyed it. I felt the same way about the ending, though. I didn't see that coming at all.

U2Girl1978 said:
The Illusionist
9/10

I liked the Prestige better, and that was not nominated, either. I did like this film, too, though. I'm a big Paul Giamatti fan, and Ed Norton is great in roles like this where he might or might not be what he seems. And, the film LOOKED amazing, like it was lifted from photographs or like it was done in Amber.

Jesus Camp. 8/10.

Very good documentary. It will scare the shit out of you.

I'd lock up half the adults in there for what I believe amounts to child abuse. I haven't been this disgusted in a while.

Last night I watched the documentary LoudQUIETloud: A Film About the Pixies. If you're a fan of the Pixies, you'll probably enjoy this look at their 2004 reunion tour. It was downright uncomfortable to watch in places, but I think it did an excellent job of capturing the band's discomfort at times with each other and with their fans' zealous pursuits of them. I'd never realized how distant the four of them are, though the end of the movie did give me hope that they might tour again. 8/10

If you're curious about the Pixies, this may not be the best place to start--the movie gives next to no background information about the band or their music.

Last week I watched Brick. It stars Joseph Gordon-Leavitt as a high school loner who sets out to solve his ex-girlfriend's murder. It's a modern-day film noir in which the main character has to deal with his high school's cliques and his town's drug dealers.

I liked the concept, and for the most part it was well done, but the dialogue moved really quickly in a lot of places, so I found myself rewinding a lot. I liked how it played with the cliches of the whole film noir genre, though, and the plot kept twisting and turning all the way up to the end.

7/10

Borat: Cultural Learnings of America For Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakstan

"Yeshamesh! Hello my name-a Borat. I like sex, is nice."

:lmao:

Well I loved it. 10/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom