Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) V

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't forget The Sweet Hereafter. That is one hell of a film, and actually managed to score directing and screenplay noms.

Also Robert Duvall's The Apostle, Donnie Brasco, Wag the Dog, Deconstructing Harry, Kundun, and Gattaca.

And of course you have lesser but entertaining fare from good directors like Starship Troopers, The Fifth Element and Face/Off.

I've only seen Gattaca from the second list of films and all 3 from the last list, but yeah, it looks like a solid year, if anything.

Fucking Titanic.

The Sweet Hereafter, good lord. Great book, great film. It's not a movie I can rewatch often, but when I do it feels like I've discovered it for the first time.

Glad that you like it, Laz-Al-Gul.

Glad that you like it, Laz-Al-Gul.

:lol:

neeson.jpeg

Always mind your surroundings.

in bruges

mildly amusing at first with the fat americans and "OMG they're filming midgets!" but it turned into a crapfest as soon as it made its plotline known.

so far that's the second movie i've seen all year. :hmm:

I think I saw Charlie Barlett sometime during the week and wishing that I hadn't, it was even worse than Juno. It was so blah, cliched and pointless that even Robert Downey's minor role couldn't even salvage the rest of it (and it was the only reedeming part of the movie).
3/10

Short Cuts

I had never seen this film from start to finish, just bits and pieces but I'm glad I finally saw it the way it was intended. Great film, I enjoyed the characters (especially Tom Waits), they managed to be low key and complicated at the same time within the various events. A reminder of what a true cinematic genius Robert Altman was,
it's one of those films that takes days to absorb and rethink how each glimpse of the character's life was a reflection on society and how we maneuver throughout. Bottom line is I loved this film, it was long overdue that I watched something that really captured my attention.

9/10

haha I completely forgot I watched In Bruges, probably cause it was so lame,
but I admit I laughed quite loudly at the part where Colin Farrell calls the fat Americans elephants or something classy along those lines and the fat guy tries to hit him but can't. Very childish, I know, but it was ridiculously funny to me. The midget part was unamusing.

The ability to speak does not make you intelligent.

That's Laz-Gon Jinn to you, pal.

Did I ever tell you the story of how I got my hands on a free copy of the Phantom soundtrack, before the film was released...maybe 3 days before. You can probably guess how amped I was for this film, yes? Anyway, I knew that Neeson was playing someone named Quai-Gon and that he was a Jedi. That was all I knew. So, I look at the soundtrack, and what's the name of one of the songs towards the end? "Quai-Gon's noble end".

For fuck's sake!

Thanks, John Williams.

Did I tell you guys that I heard the choir part of "Duel of the Fates" in the sacrifice scene from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom? Even if I'm wrong, if you listen for it, they sound very familiar.

Short Cuts

I had never seen this film from start to finish, just bits and pieces but I'm glad I finally saw it the way it was intended. Great film, I enjoyed the characters (especially Tom Waits), they managed to be low key and complicated at the same time within the various events. A reminder of what a true cinematic genius Robert Altman was,
it's one of those films that takes days to absorb and rethink how each glimpse of the character's life was a reflection on society and how we maneuver throughout. Bottom line is I loved this film, it was long overdue that I watched something that really captured my attention.

9/10

Short Cuts is great
it holds up well
amazing ensemble cast

some one reviewed "The Player"
in here recently,
it was great in it's day

it had all the A-list actors making fun of themselves

but with the passage of time, it loses some of it's bite.

do you think a 16 - 18 year old will understand that Julia Roberts is the hottest young female star, comparable to a Scarlette Johanson today?

do you think a 16 - 18 year old will understand that Julia Roberts is the hottest young female star, comparable to a Scarlette Johanson today?

Holds up for ME, I should say. Cannot speak for 16-18 year olds, but, I'll say this: If we're talking about people like PFan and LemonMacPhisto, yes, they'd get it.

and to all you Sweet Hereafter fans

Ian Holm is not Baggo Billgo, or what ever
but the great British Actor that made "Game, Set, Match" an amazing BBC mini-series to watch

and speaking of S H

I will also recommend Atom Egoyan's "Exotica"

it has a creep factor to it
but, things are not always what they seem.

and to all you Sweet Hereafter fans

Ian Holm is not Baggo Billgo, or what ever
but the great British Actor that made "Game, Set, Match" an amazing BBC mini-series to watch

and speaking of S H

I will also recommend Atom Egoyan's "Exotica"

it has a creep factor to it
but, things are not always what they seem.

Deep

Ian Holm is the lead actor in the Sweet Hereafter, and played Bilbo Baggins in The LOTR. He's also Sam Massibini in Chariots of Fire. Yes! He's whatever role we most liked him in. Game, Set and Match are three great books by Len Deighton, turned into that miniseries. Better than Ludlum's stuff, not as good as LeCarre.

But you know that.

I've seen Exotica. Uncomfortable, but enjoyed it.

Does not mean that he did not know that Julia Roberts was box office gold at one point.

I know he knows that and much more

A lot of people will not get the irony of Buck Henry (the Graduate) pleading a pitch, etc.

I like The Player

at the time, I thought it was brilliant.

but, I think is had more impact when it was more current.

I think it was LMP that gave it a mediocre review.

I gave The Player around 7/8 stars and really enjoyed it, if I remember correctly. The Graduate joke worked since I had just seen that film recently before that, too. Julia Roberts and Bruce Willis both showing up for free in a movie at that point must've been huge.

I was surprised at how much of it seemed like it was current... especially with Peter Gallagher's character showing up and trying to phase out writers and the whole development of the "Habeus Corpus" storyline.

Deep

Ian Holm is the lead actor in the Sweet Hereafter, and played Bilbo Baggins in The LOTR. He's also Sam Massibini in Chariots of Fire. Yes! He's whatever role we most liked him in. Game, Set and Match are three great books by Len Deighton, turned into that miniseries. Better than Ludlum's stuff, not as good as LeCarre.

But you know that.

I've seen Exotica. Uncomfortable, but enjoyed it.

You enjoyed it.

Did you think it was an excellent film?
I did.

Because you realy don't know where the story is going. I think each actor ends up not being what I first thought they were.

You are a book reader. I am not.

I just think the small supporting role in LOTR is not representative of Holm's great acting range. And I have seen him in many other films, too.
Sweet Hereafter, is the film i think he is best in.
GSM is the work,in which I enjoyed him the most.

Ian Holm also kicks ass as Ash in Alien, this shouldn't be left unsaid.

I gave The Player around 7/8 stars and really enjoyed it, if I remember correctly. The Graduate joke worked since I had just seen that film recently before that, too. Julia Roberts and Bruce Willis both showing up for free in a movie at that point must've been huge.

I was surprised at how much of it seemed like it was current... especially with Peter Gallagher's character showing up and trying to phase out writers and the whole development of the "Habeus Corpus" storyline.

I am getting old

I must have got confused. Sorry.

I am getting old

I must have got confused. Sorry.

No worries. :)

If I give anything a 5 or above, I at least liked it, to varying degrees of course. 7/8's fairly high for me.

you gave it some stars

I think it was your last sentence, that left me with the impression, of less than enthusiastic.

The Player ***1/2

This was my first Altman flick, which may seem like blasphemy to people named Laz, but that's okay. Aside from being an "industry" flick with loads of actor cameos (most of which are unscripted), the film centers on Tim Robbins as a movie exec being stalked by a vengeful writer. He confronts a guy who he thinks is doing it and kills him, only to find out he's killed the wrong man. Altman fills this with tons of references to other films (the 8 minute-long opening shot references Welles' Touch of Evil and Hitchcock's Rope; the camera lingers on shots of posters of movies that give insight to the film's plot - things that hardcore cinephiles would pick up on and appreciate). I enjoyed this film, from a directing and performance standpoint, but would only recommend this to people who are familiar with cinema or dig movies about the film industry.

I would recommend

Short Cuts for your 2nd

I was just joking when I referred to Holm as Bilbo. He's had many other impressive roles.

Also, I second deep's recommendation of Exotica. Along with Cronenberg, Atom Egoyan has made some of the better films to come out of the Canadian film industry.

I can also see a little where deep is coming from. Bruce Willis and Julia Roberts were two of the big names of that late 80's-early 90's period. Are they recognizable to a lot of people still? Sure. But Julia barely works anymore, and Willis does much more supporting parts than leads now. I'd also say that most viewers didn't even know who Buck Henry was back when the film came out, or even what Touch of Evil was. I think the film was made, as LMP suggested, for people who know a bit more about cinema.

What really dates the film is Greta Scacchi in the female lead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom