Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Little Miss Sunshine 7/10

I really enjoyed this one. I liked the ending, it was not what I was expecting at all. Some parts were over the top, but it made me laugh.

Blades of Glory

6/10

Why did I pay to see this in the theater? I guess I thought it'd be funnier than it was. I laughed enough, I guess, but they were cheap laughs.

Will Ferrell is still annoying, but I love Amy Poehler and Will Arnett, and it was nice to see Jenna Fischer, and as a former skating geek, I loved all the cameos.

My recommendation: wait for DVD.

Bono's Betty said:
Children of Men 4/10

I couldn't wait for this movie to end. The only reason I gave it a 4 is because I really enjoy watching Clive Owen, but thats about it.

Aw, why didn't you like it?

Children of Men is a 10/10 if I ever saw one.

But anyway.

I just saw Goodfella's in its entirety for the first time last night (shocking I know, how come it took so long?).

I'll give it a 9/10. Wasn't AS amazing as I thought it was going to be, though it's still a 9/10, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it one of the greatests films of all time, or even Scorsese's best film. But oh yeah, Joe Pesci fucking rocks. :rockon:

cdisantis83 said:
I very much enjoyed Broken Flowers. Bill Murray is excellent in a very understated role, and the ending is creative, avoiding cliches. There is a great deal of strong commentary on aging and family, and also some genuinely funny moments. By the end, I really sympathized with Murray's character.

8/10

one of my favorite movies ever,
:love:

LemonMacPhisto said:

Aw, why didn't you like it?

I found it very depressing, way too much violence. Not to mention half the time I had no idea what was going on. I also thought the ending was bad. I was expecting them to show at the end what would have happened if the whole world knew there was a baby born. Maybe bring some hope to the rest of the world.

Last edited:
I, personally, loved the ending
it was a very cliche kind of thing
the symbolism
of somebody passing away and someone being born , but it worked and felt anything but cheesy and forced. it was dark, depressing, and frightening but with a slight brush of hope enough to make the movie a pretty accurate representation of human life externally and internally. In all it's grittiness , Children of Men is one of the overall best film which surpassed my wildest expectations and had more to offer than I could have ever hoped. Every single aspect of the movie was flawless, symbolic and about as perfect as a movie gets. One of my most memorable movie theatre experiences, right up there with the New World, Sin City, & Lost in Translation along others.

^ I agree completely :up:

It was the realism that made this movie. That and Michael Caine is in it.

corianderstem said:
Blades of Glory

6/10

Why did I pay to see this in the theater? I guess I thought it'd be funnier than it was. I laughed enough, I guess, but they were cheap laughs.

Will Ferrell is still annoying, but I love Amy Poehler and Will Arnett, and it was nice to see Jenna Fischer, and as a former skating geek, I loved all the cameos.

My recommendation: wait for DVD.

I enjoyed the cheap (well, $9.25 x 4) laughs! Even the skating cameos were funny.

I cannot give this a 1-10 rating, unless you seperate it out in a special "comedy" category. I enjoy Ferrell oddball humor - and the cast was great.

I used to like Will Ferrell, but he needs a new schtick. He makes me roll my eyes. And itch. He makes me itch.

I am, however, looking forward to him being relatively subdued in Stranger Than Fiction ... which is still languishing on top of my TV in its little red Netflix envelope.

corianderstem said:
I used to like Will Ferrell, but he needs a new schtick. He makes me roll my eyes. And itch. He makes me itch.

I am, however, looking forward to him being relatively subdued in Stranger Than Fiction ... which is still languishing on top of my TV in its little red Netflix envelope.

It's a good movie.

I wouldn't say it's his Truman Show, but a good movie nonetheless. Watch for Dustin Hoffman and Tony Hale to steal the movie.

And I'm a big Ferrell fan, and I had to agree with Blades of Glory. It had the potential to be extremely funny, but you know what killed it? Jon Heder.

He's simply not funny.

Lancemc said:
Children of Men is a 10/10 if I ever saw one.

:up:

It's filled with little moments that make you think--but it worked in strange ways for me, because it seemed much better a view days after I saw it. Maybe I was actually overwhelmed by the darkness and realness of it all, which is weird, because I usually eat that stuff up. The Pink Floyd/Orwell references are also pretty interesting...definitely one of the most thought-provoking movies I've ever seen.

LemonMacPhisto said:

It was the realism that made this movie. That and Michael Caine is in it.

He was brilliant. I loved his home in the forest :drool: I wanted to crawl in and read a book in the living room.

I can agree with that. I found Napoleon Dynamite painfully unfunny, but I'm not sure I can blame that entirely on Jon Heder.

I'd actually place him low on the list of reasons it wasn't funny.

What about the John Lennon references?

Clive Owen's character had a picture of him in his apartment and I thought Michael Caine's character resembled him quite a bit.

SPOILER

Who thought Julianne Moore would die that way AND that early?

That's just a great instance of not knowing much about a movie and being hugely surprised.

There's a little blurb in Entertainment Weekly in the CoM DVD review where Michael Caine admits Lennon was a definitely frame of reference for the character.

LemonMacPhisto said:
What about the John Lennon references?

Clive Owen's character had a picture of him in his apartment and I thought Michael Caine's character resembled him quite a bit.

Completely! Man-hug :hug:

I actually mentioned that in the earlier review thread, but nobody seemed to bite...until now.

*orange-level spoiler alert*

It was a clear reference in my mind: the Lennon glasses, Caine's mannerisms, and just the way he was throwing around little bits of learned wisdom to Clive--including one great bit where he mentions how Lennon and McCartney's relationship is symbolic of life itself--a mix of fate and destiny...and how powerful it is, that despite their obvious differences, the music united them. I liked that a lot. There's also a cover of Tomorrow Never Knows playing at one point in the background.

corianderstem said:
There's a little blurb in Entertainment Weekly in the CoM DVD review where Michael Caine admits Lennon was a definitely frame of reference for the character.

Clearly, he's been reading the reviews at Interference :wink:

Speaking of reviews, I'm actually glad I passed on Blades of Glory today after reading the comments here. There was a mysterious force at breakfast telling me, "No, wait for Interference to guide you on this one." I think it was coming from the toaster.

I went to see The Namesake tonight, and I really loved it. It was different in some key ways than the book, but I think it's a beautiful film, and it was well worth the hour I had to drive to see it (and it gave me an excuse to go have real sushi :drool: ). I'm not sure if it would appeal to everyone, but I was a fan of the book, and when I heard Jhumpa Lahiri speak last year, she was very enthusiastic about the movie, so I was looking forward to seeing the adaptation.

For those who haven't read the book, it's a quiet but very well-developed family drama. It chronicles the experience of Indian immigrants and their American-born children, but there's something very universal about it, too. I give it an 8.5/10.

Children of Men arrived from Netflix yesterday, so I have that to look forward to tomorrow.

Blood diamond 7/10. DiCaprio was good, but he was way better in Departed. The male support role - Djimon .... - steals the movie from everyone else. Anything past the character's death and the escape could easily be cut off.

elevation2u said:
I, personally, loved the ending
it was a very cliche kind of thing
the symbolism
of somebody passing away and someone being born , but it worked and felt anything but cheesy and forced. it was dark, depressing, and frightening but with a slight brush of hope enough to make the movie a pretty accurate representation of human life externally and internally. In all it's grittiness , Children of Men is one of the overall best film which surpassed my wildest expectations and had more to offer than I could have ever hoped. Every single aspect of the movie was flawless, symbolic and about as perfect as a movie gets. One of my most memorable movie theatre experiences, right up there with the New World, Sin City, & Lost in Translation along others.

See and I didn't get what all the Lost in Translation hype was all about.

I guess I'm in the minority here for Children of Men. :shrug:

BonoIsMyMuse, please let us know what you think of it.

LemonMacphisto, the whole John Lennon reference thing is very interesting, and now that you say it, I can totally see it.

Bono's Betty said:
LemonMacphisto, the whole John Lennon reference thing is very interesting, and now that you say it, I can totally see it.

One more thing: Lennon's "Bring On The Lucie (Freeda People)" plays as the credits roll at the end. I think the reference is pretty official now :wink:

RV :down: :down: at the most a 5/10, maybe even a 3 or 4 and as much as I love Robin Williams this shoud have been alot better. I guess I just had to vent about this movie. :madspit:

saw two movies this weekend..

Meet the Robinsons 3D- Cute movie.. my 9yr old liked it

Blades of Glory- loved it.. hilarious.. Will Ferrell is just too much.. some of the scenes.. laughing so hard I had tears running down my cheeks..

Reign Over Me. 8 out of 10.

I saw this movie yesterday. It stars Adam Sandler and Don Cheadle. I really liked this movie. Some parts were sad. Adam Sandler's character is seriously frustrating in this but he did a good job. I love Don Cheadle. :up:

I just got done watching Children of Men. I found it scary as hell because it all seemed so plausible. The ending made sense to me--there couldn't possibly be any more certainty in a world as far gone asthe one depicted in the movie, but tomorrow still comes.

It took me awhile to get into it, and I was a little confused in a few places, but never so much that I needed to rewind. I definitely see John Lennon in Michael Caine's character, and would have even if I hadn't read about it here first :wink: I wouldn't necessarily say I liked the movie, because this doesn't seem like the kind of movie it's possible to "like" in the sense of it being entertaining, but I think it's a very necessary movie.

I'm not sure I'm ready to rate it yet, but I'd say at least an 8/10.

The Lookout

It stars the kid from 3rd Rock

he was in that movie Brick,
that most people did not like, but I did.

Well, The Lookout will be much more popular than Brick

there has been some comparison to Memento, forget about that

Jeff Daniels does great supporting work

7.5/ 10

Blades of Glory

7/ 10

I don't expect much from these types of movies

it was pretty funny, but not as good as Talladega Nights

I just watched Match Point, and am rather ambivalent about it at the moment. It affords some clever twists, but also involves a great deal of improbable decisions and contrived dialogue. On the other hand, Scarlett Johansson=:drool: :love: :combust: She is just about as intoxicating an on-screen presence as I have ever seen.

5/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom