Real Thing, sans vocal double

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Globo14

Refugee
Has there ever been a version of "Even Better Than The Real Thing" without vocal doubles, either official or fanmade? EBTTRT is such a cool song (that's the best word there is to describe it), but the vocal doubles annoy me slightly.

In the original version, I always thought the main vox was Bono and the second vocal was Danny Lanois. But on the new 360 mix/Fish out of Water mix or whatever it's called, both the main vocal and the "double vocal" sound like Bono. I like the new mix a lot, but I prefer the vox on the original mix.

In the original version, I always thought the main vox was Bono and the second vocal was Danny Lanois. But on the new 360 mix/Fish out of Water mix or whatever it's called, both the main vocal and the "double vocal" sound like Bono. I like the new mix a lot, but I prefer the vox on the original mix.

:eyebrow: Is that mix already out yet? I haven't heard anything about that.
And I think that in the original version Bono's voice was just double tracked, so no other persons doing the vocals.

There is an instrumental remix of EBTTRT (A440 Vs U2 Instrumental Remix).

:eyebrow: Is that mix already out yet? I haven't heard anything about that.
And I think that in the original version Bono's voice was just double tracked, so no other persons doing the vocals.

There is an instrumental remix of EBTTRT (A440 Vs U2 Instrumental Remix).
You mean this one? It sounds like a studio version of the Glastonbury performance, with a few bells and whistles thrown in. They didn't even bother to fix the awfully off-rhythm introduction.

U2 - Even Better Than The Real Thing (360 Mix - 2011) - Official Music Video - YouTube

Last edited:
You mean this one? It sounds like a studio version of the Glastonbury performance, with a few bells and whistles thrown in. They didn't even bother to fix the awfully off-key introduction.

U2 - Even Better Than The Real Thing (360 Mix - 2011) - Official Music Video - YouTube

Yeah, that's what people are calling the 360 Mix, and many are speculating that it's the same as the "Fish out of Water Mix" listed on the upcoming box set... kind of like how the live version of Crazy Tonight is actually based on two different studio remixes.

Yeah, that's what people are calling the 360 Mix, and many are speculating that it's the same as the "Fish out of Water Mix" listed on the upcoming box set... kind of like how the live version of Crazy Tonight is actually based on two different studio remixes.
I think that would be nice, but I would hope they clean it up a bit, and fix the intro.

This arrangement has so much potential, it would be crazy if they left that version as the studio representation of this version of Real Thing. But I fear they will.

globo14, if you really don't like the vocals on Real Thing, you may hate to know that it's actually a TRIPLE-tracked vocal :wink:

Another annoying similar vocal is in City of Blinding Lights. Those high background vocals in the chorus don't fit.

It's all over Bomb (although they don't bother me in COBL): A Man and a Woman (the worst offense of all of them, that bit in the bridge with the obnoxiously high part), Crumbs, All Because of You and Yahweh have them as well.

I've noticed them there too, and the ones in the studio version of COBL are subtle enough. But live, they're obnoxious.

I always thought it was Bono and Edge in the original version.

Back
Top Bottom