Random Music Thread XXXV: Cobbler Strikes Again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotta see what time I can convince my GF to get there at. She's not so keen on standing in line for hours, but I think I can convince her. I'll send you a pm when I get more details. You going early?

There's no way she'll wanna go that early hahaha. I was thinking around noon or so. Either way, I can always wander up and say hello.

Gotta see what time I can convince my GF to get there at. She's not so keen on standing in line for hours, but I think I can convince her. I'll send you a pm when I get more details. You going early?

Maybe just deflate her and put her in your fanny pack, then inflate her at the venue...

I feel slightly toolish evangelizing like this, but apparently one of Google+'s features is how easy it is to categorize your friends/connections into groups, so Cobbler's BFFs don't have to see his dorky Interference friends'
One Tree Hill
gushing. I'm actually pretty interested to check it out when it goes public in August or whenever.

11 hours of sleep. Fuckyeah.

I see GAF hasn't returned...hope he didn't chug down more than he could oxidize.

Maybe just deflate her and put her in your fanny pack, then inflate her at the venue...

175786d1309741480-funny-strange-random-pics-samuel_l_jackson.gif

I'm waiting for mofo to investigate it and give the green light.

I'm waiting for mofo to investigate it and give the green light.

After a slight bit of research, I have no opinion. My research did let me know that apparently there is a song called, "On-the-Spot Tina Turner Fine" by a group called "You Slut!", though. They have others called, "Pie to the Death-Faced Indie Kid", and "Cut and Shut by You Slut!".

the_more_you_know2.jpg

Ok people. I have things to say. This is going to be very TL;DR, but I'll try and break it up into paragraphs better than I have at times

1.) The GA Line: If you go into the tour forum and read the Chicago meet-up thread, you're going to see a great deal of threats and bitching about some people who apparently line jumped. 1) There were six of them, they are not going to ruin your evening 2) They were there in person at 5 AM, you were lined up somewhere else in your fan line and Soldier Field said they were honoring THEIR system 3) At least they were in the damn fucking line ALL fucking day. Not rushing back from their naps in their hotel room when security moved us inside.
I've always enjoyed going GA, but this experience really put me off of it. Starting a list three days prior to the event, telling people in the line who were upset that if they'd've been on Interference they'd've known about the line (a flat out lie, as there was no mention of it on Interference until it was already 75 people deep). Not actually standing in the line, completely going against the spirit of GA. Seriously, the fan base, in this regard, can go fuck itself. I'll continue to play by the rules and have fun and NOT be on the front rail, because I value my neck

2.) The Pit: Never again. Never ever again. I tried to convince LeMel that I didn't want to go in the pit before, but he really wanted to experience it for himself, and I'm glad I got to as well, it was an interesting experience, but never again. Through some poor choices of my own that afternoon, I ended up walking about six miles before 10 AM, and my feet were already in pretty bad shape. But see, I have some severe anxiety issues with crowds. Usually I can handle it at concerts, but this was a significantly bad experience, because we were up on the outer rail, and for the first time, I really felt like, "Oh shit, I can't get out of here." and really began to panic, so, unfortunately, I spent the majority of the encores turned around with my head over the rail so I could breath properly and have a visual on a means of escape. I was finally about to give up and have LeMel shove us out of there during MOS, but then OTH started, and then I kind of forgot how the last 45 minutes had gone for me and had a fucking blast

3.) Space Oddity: I don't know if it's the usual for the spaceman to be Gabby Giffords' husband or not, but it was, and he was VERY sweet. He was one of the reasons why Space Oddity got brought up so many times. At the end of his broadcast he said, "Tell My wife I love her very much.' and I got a little choked up at that. Then, of course, Ali was in the crowd, so Bono was in a VERY good mood, and he sang it a bit to her as well, I do believe. Then you have the Zoo Baby who always uses it, and the intro, and there you go = A Lot of Space Oddity.

4.) Bono: Oh my God, I really wanted to yell, "Are you loose?!" at him, but never got a chance, if he's acting the way he was last night in Minn. someone will have to do it for me. I don't know if he was drunk as fuck, high on life, or just high, but he was in the goofiest mood I have ever seen him in. Going on long-"rants" about this or that. There were a few times where he found himself unable to think of anything else to say, so he'd pause for a few seconds and then they'd just start the song. And I don't mean they were rants in the sense that he was talking about the One Campaign or anything like that, he was going on about when the band first met, how he met Ali, why he loves Chicago, Larry attending a Sox game (This received a SHIT TON of booing, and Bono couldn't understand why, he thought there were a lot of Kansas fans in the crowd or something. I couldn't tell if that was a joke or not), and general other stuff like that. It was WONDERFUL.

5.) The Show itself: It was great. I'm sorry I had to ruin it for myself by being so panicked the whole time, but it was still fantastic. Bono did a bit of the Life on a Distant Planet dance during EBTTRT and I about died laughing, then Edge held his "gay headset mic" while singing his part on the Fly, which was equally hilarious. Bono tried to do the water geyser, and it didn't mist right, and fell right back in his face. They were completely on, the Achtung Baby stuff was brilliant. I kind of wish they'd stop being pansies and just play the whole damn thing if that's what they're wanting to do instead of just packing it all in at the beginning, but oh well. There was a snippet of TTTYAATW, which was pretty awesome. Snippet of Promised Land for Clarence, which choked me up, and just a lot of wonderful moments throughout the course of the show that I will treasure very much. U2 loves Chicago, Chicago loves U2. It's great.

6.) Leaving Soldier Field: Never again. Unless it's U2. I won't even go there for a Packers game. What an awful awful place. It took us nearly an hour and a half, I would guess to get back to our car. The Death March, I believe Mike called it (I think we're referring to the same thing) is possibly one of the worst constructed exits I've ever seen. What if there had been an emergency? Holy shit. Awful. But there was a saxophone and a drummer playing "In the Mood' outside the stadium and that made it a little better. Love that fucking song.

7 (Finally).) Soldier Field Security: People can bitch and bitch all they want, but I thought they handled the GA line brilliantly. They (and U2's people) decided to let us in to the stadium around 12 because half of the line (not the half we were in) were sitting straight up in the Sun. We were then supposed to be taken back outside at 4:30 to be scanned in at Gate 6 to go into the GA, but then they decided, fuck that, how about this, this makes more sense. What they did was take us straight in in groups of 50-100, and only let the next group in once the one before was there. So, if you were 50th in line, you were getting the spot you wanted, and no one could POSSIBLY line jump you at the last minute and get in front of you. It was great.

I think that's about all I have to say for now. I'm glad for this place to say all of that in, because I'm going to post more or less the same thing as I did here in the Tour Forum, but am leaving the GA bit out, because I'm a pansy.

Thank you all for dealing with that :wink:

I'm sorry the GA experience was so off-putting. I have to say, and I think this happened by the end of the Vertigo tour too, by the tail end of the tour, I am pretty much fucking over U2 fans in general (excepting people I like, naturally).

The line jumper thing pissed me off by proxy, but reading your comments, I have to say - good fucking points. Then see above re: being fucking over U2 fans in general.

I love GA and I hate GA.

Glad you had so many good bits to remember to balance out the shitty bits. And yeah, the space station stuff has been new this leg, and it's wonderful.

Re Soldier Field - YES. Oh my god. That was the one and only bad experience I had leaving any of the stadiums I've been to on this tour. What a gawdawful version of hell that is.

I vote for saying your GA piece over in the other parts of the forum, because honestly, some people probably need to hear it. There was a new poster in the new Chicago thread (to post your reviews, etc) who complained about those at the front of the stage who got to their spots and spread-eagled themselves to save spots for friends who were much further back in line, which meant that this guy, who'd been right up there with them all day, didn't get to be on the line. That pissed me off.

I talk a good game online with my righteous indignation, and I can't honestly say how I'd react if faced with something like that, but I'd like to think that that might have pushed me over the edge and I would have found a way to be on that rail if I were that guy.

Loved hearing what a wacky mood Bono was in. Must have bootleg now!

Oh, also, in spite of everything I did to avoid spoilers, and the fact that no one in the line even said anything to ruin a damn thing for me: Lemonmelon was my worst enemy. During the soundcheck he told me they open with EBTTRT, during the show, Bono said, this song is from our album Zooropa, so I expected Zooropa, but then Travis went, "STAAAAAY!!!!" and I was like, "Huh?" and then: Stay. Then, right as Miss Sarajevo was ending he went, "ZOOOROPAAAA!!!!" and I punched him in the arm.

But I think that was about it. I didn't expect Stay, that was great, and I definitely thought they'd dropped Zooropa when they didn't open with it, so that was even better.
:love:

You convinced me, and then I saw that they were already discussing it in there so I just left it as is.

Oh a few more things re: One Tree Hill. Here's what happened. Bono, as I mentioned, was completely loose, and he wanted to break into OTH right then and there before MOS, but I think he got the evil eye from Edge or something, and so he said, "But, we're not going to play it." and the crowd went into pleading mode. So then Bono said, "Ok, let the Professor get everything worked out and we'll play it after MOS." The only time I didn't think they were going to do it was when Bono snippeted it after MOS, then I was like, "Damn, guess it's not happening." But then they got it all squared away, which, of course, was great. Though, Edge really didn't know how to play the song at first. Dallas threw a sheet of chords down in front of him, and that's when he took off. The solo though. Holy shit, THAT came out of fucking nowhere.

I cracked up about your complaints about leaving the stadium, 2012. Now imagine trying to meet a group of people across the street during that mess. "We're on the steps". "I'm on the steps too". "Where?" "I don't know". "Are you sure you're in the right place?" "Yes". "Why can't we see you then?" And so on.

Oh God, it was terrible. I kept trying to keep back too, because I was still sort of in the midst of my anxiety attack, so I kept trying to stay back, and security kept pushing me forward into it. /death

There was a similar Death March in Denver. It was insane. The plan was to walk out the door the way we came in and get back on the train. That didn't happen. We got herded through a different exit and were trapped in the Death March all the way back to the hotel, which was a couple of miles at a very slow pace along a narrow pathway, next to a stream of water in the pitch black dark with 50,000 other fools. I kept thinking I was going to end up in that water somehow.

Re: the GA madness - I saw in Seattle that the very people at the front of the line who attacked this one line-jumper like a pack of rabid dogs, ended up being the very ones who felt entitled to break those rules when they felt like saving a spot for a friend, or to sneak in a teenaged daughter who was in the back of the line because she wanted to sleep in that morning.

U2 front-of-the-line-rail-freaks are a particularly loathsome breed. And then they'll be all about the love later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom