Random Music Thread XXXV: Cobbler Strikes Again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bono said they would play "old songs, new songs, songs we've never played before," but who ever believes him??

I remember being agog and then a bit nuts, and sharing some "oh my god" looks with joyful and then that guy who was in the enclosed tower area with his heavily pregnant wife, and their little boy and his giant headphones, and we all shared a few "oh wow" moments.

Good times.

U2 pulling YBR out of absolutely nowhere was sheer balls, and it fit into the set perfectly with Stay, TUF and UC or whatever combination it was paired with that night, even if people were going back to their cars during it to get their tripod so they could have a battering ram in the pit.

I missed part of it in a texting frenzy to martha. But yes, gorgeous. :grouphug:

U2 pulling YBR out of absolutely nowhere was sheer balls, and it fit into the set perfectly with Stay, TUF and UC or whatever combination it was paired with that night, even if people were going back to their cars to get their tripod so they could have a battering ram in the pit.

There was also something perfect about the lighting, it being a late summer night, etc.....

They absolutely shit the bed on Electrical Storm, mostly because Edge didn't know what guitar part to play during the chorus and Bono didn't want his guitar to be heard.

I may or may not have been frantically texting Diemen and April to tell them what they had missed by not staying in town for the second show.

NSW with a good idea there, maybe put Your Blue Room in for Miss Sarajevo.

I had forgotten they played it.

If the band was playing for me personally, I'd put it in. But I think realistically, that song just doesn't work in a stadium setting, with that arrangement.

Perhaps a more trip-hoppy beat from Harry Muffin? I don't know.

Two of the highlights from my show, way back in 09, were Your Blue Room and especially Ultraviolet. UF, I am afraid to say, disappointed me, as Bono supplanted what seemed like one-third of the lyrics with formless cooing. UV, however, was transcendent, as was MoS.

The one song that I would really like to experience, which has a realistic chance of being played, that is, that I have yet to hear from them live is New Year's Day. That thing is a monster live.

MOS would sound godly earlier in the set, perhaps next to Stay or Miss Sarajevo.

YBR--->MOS would be unbelievably brilliant and put everyone in a coma.

I knew you had made a mistake when you bought it.

I couldn't see "cheese" listed on the packaging from the counter.

Your Blue Room was far and away one of my favorite songs of 1995 / 1996, so I was indeed shocked on the outside, and flipping out on the inside.

Two of the highlights from my show, way back in 09, were Your Blue Room and especially Ultraviolet. UF, I am afraid to say, disappointed me, as Bono supplanted what seemed like one-third of the lyrics for formless cooing. UV, however, was transcendent, as was MoS.

Am I mistaken for strangers, or you were at Chicago night 2 as well, right?

Electrical Serve is probably the most overrated song in the band's catalogue, an overblown attempt at being Oasis that, IMO would still have been the weakest song on ATYCLC or HTMAAS had it appeared on either.

Just because it had more balls than most of the songs on the album it followed doesn't make it good.

It is, however, better than The Cocks That Boned America.

The one song that I would really like to experience, which has a realistic chance of being played, that is, that I have yet to hear from them live is New Year's Day. That thing is a monster live.

I'm in complete agreement, to the point that I use the same phrasing. A Monster indeed. I've been lucky enough to have heard that song on just about every tour from JT on......and it NEVER gets old for me, it just remains as towering and epic as ever.

My favorite part of Popmart is that song, actually, because it required no gimmicks, no fancy lighting or imagery...they just played that shit and that was that. I also have trouble wording this, but I like the subtle little change that was made for Elevation and Vertigo performances, when Edge and Bono sing "IIIIIIIIIIIII" in unison at a point where they never used to....I should find a video example of what I mean.

Electrical Serve is probably the most overrated song in the band's catalogue, an overblown attempt at being Oasis that, IMO would still have been the weakest song on ATYCLC or HTMAAS had it appeared on either.

Just because it had more balls than most of the songs on the album it followed doesn't make it good.

Yeah I don't get the love for it either laz. Everyone fawns over it but it doesn't do much for me at all.

Reminds me, Hands That Built America = worst possible way to ruin a great song (Bullet)

Chicago '09 was pretty great all-around. Unforgettable Fire, Your Blue Room and
the Wilco "Far, Far Away" snippet that apparently only I heard

I'm in complete agreement, to the point that I use the same phrasing. A Monster indeed. I've been lucky enough to have heard that song on just about every tour from JT on......and it NEVER gets old for me, it just remains as towering and epic as ever.

My favorite part of Popmart is that song, actually, because it required no gimmicks, no fancy lighting or imagery...they just played that shit and that was that. I also have trouble wording this, but I like the subtle little change that was made for Elevation and Vertigo performances, when Edge and Bono sing "IIIIIIIIIIIII" in unison at a point where they never used to....I should find a video example of what I mean.

Agreed re: NYD.

But I feel the same way about Out of Bounds > I Will Swallow.

Two of the highlights from my show, way back in 09, were Your Blue Room and especially Ultraviolet. UF, I am afraid to say, disappointed me, as Bono supplanted what seemed like one-third of the lyrics for formless cooing. UV, however, was transcendent, as was MoS.

I don't want to harsh NSW's buzz, so I'll post this in the spoiler:
They totally neutered UF in 2009. First off, Larry mailed in the drums. Listen to how much he did in the 80s, and then listen to his tapping in 2009. Then, Bono goes and spends half the chorus just going "Stay in the song!" or something that doesn't even make sense. And he wasn't exactly putting in an A effort. They shortened Edge's cool little guitar part coming out of the first chorus, and then they really quieted what is supposed to be an epic bridge. I think Larry is the biggest offender here, but Bono is a close second.

joyful - No, I heard that too! I just didn't know right off the bat what it was. It was in the intro to Beautiful Day, wasn't it?

I don't want to harsh NSW's buzz, so I'll post this in the spoiler:
They totally neutered UF in 2009. First off, Larry mailed in the drums. Listen to how much he did in the 80s, and then listen to his tapping in 2009. Then, Bono goes and spends half the chorus just going "Stay in the song!" or something that doesn't even make sense. And he wasn't exactly putting in an A effort. They shortened Edge's cool little guitar part coming out of the first chorus, and then they really quieted what is supposed to be an epic bridge. I think Larry is the biggest offender here, but Bono is a close second.

This doesn't do anything to my buzz, or my memories of the song, etc...you're right, they fucked with it and made it less than it should have been.....but being there, hearing it in person, when you've loved the song for 25 years at that point tends to cure a lot of ills.

I'd still love to hear it, I was just disappointed. U2 usually does songs best on the tour supporting them, and then they slowly get worse as time goes on. Not always, but usually. Mysterious Ways, for example. That song was best on ZooTV and has slowly gotten worse each tour.

Agreed re: NYD.

But I feel the same way about Out of Bounds > I Will Swallow.

I love those two, but not quite as much as NYD.

And, since I'm babbling.....I'll NEVER forget my absolute and utter shock at hearing An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart followed by motherfucking Electric Co on the Vertigo tour....and then Zoo fucking Station???? Jesus.

:drool:

I love U2. :)

Agreed. U2's passion for that song has not appeared to wane significantly at any point in their career, and the result is arguably their most consistently great live track.

Besides UTEOTW, which it is coincidentally paired with more often than not. I can't believe I hadn't seen them play that song live until yesterday. But I was like five feet from Edge during his solo, so that should even it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom