Random Music Talk XXX: Bow Chicka Wow Wow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been on a blues kick lately, listening to Zeppelin, Clapton, B.B. King, and stuff.

Yes, I know they're barely the blues, I'm neon-white, etc, etc.

Looks like the whole Pink Floyd catalog is getting a major overhaul.

Why Pink Floyd...?

Oh lord, those are going to be a major drain on my bank account.

I must also say that I despise the original version of Layla. Listening to some sleazeball lust after someone's wife and then play a super-bloated coda ad nauseum is not my idea of a good time. /Rant.

Wow. Uh, music feels so much more alive through vinyl. Never expected that.

a32a3b9c-0e1b-4f66-ab4f-b66a7d1eb134.jpg

The '90's can go to hell.

What a joke!

I must also say that I despise the original version of Layla. Listening to some sleazeball lust after someone's wife and then play a super-bloated coda ad nauseum is not my idea of a good time. /Rant. rock n' roll.

Because everything you described is extraordinarily rock n' roll.

And listening to an old strumpet creak his way through past glories on his path to useless awards and embarrassing baby boomer nostalgia is the least rock n' roll thing imaginable. Fuck acoustic Layla. /Laz

Because everything you described is extraordinarily rock n' roll.

And listening to an old strumpet creak his way through past glories on his path to useless awards and embarrassing baby boomer nostalgia is the least rock n' roll thing imaginable. Fuck acoustic Layla. /Laz

Well, I'm more of a fan of restraint than bombast in music. But you probably knew that already, and I'm not sure how it fits in with my love of early Elton John, which was about as bombastic as anything ever produced. :wink:

Let's not forget that Clapton won a "Best Rock Song" Grammy for a 25 year-old composition.

Fuck him.

Acoustic Layla is partially to blame for Achtung Baby losing AOTY. Which is actually one of its lesser sins, but I see no harm in listing more.

Well, I'm more of a fan of restraint than bombast in music. But you probably knew that already, and I'm not sure how it fits in with my love of early Elton John, which was about as bombastic as anything ever produced. :wink:

No, restraint is completely awesome, I'm with you there.

Just as long as the restraint isn't because the artist is afraid of breaking something.

That picture almost looks like Bono is photobombing two hot chicks.

I just heard Smith Westerns in an ad for a new Tommy Hilfiger product, Vampire Weekend Pool Party.

Yeah, that commercial's been getting a lot of play. I've seen it a bunch of times on ESPN. I like the song a lot, though.

Have you heard the album yet? Sounded great to me on re-evaluation, and it's going to be terrific summer music.

You all were busy today.

Phil Selway is the coolest motherfucker on earth for all 50 minutes of OK Computer. That is all.

Yes.

I'm developing a crush on 1970s Linda Ronstadt.
Yes. Heart Like a Wheel and Prisoner in Disguise are still great records.
By the way, Reggo, 2 weeks from tonight....

The Fray will ruin your life.

I just found out they're opening in Denver as well. As much as I was dreading three Lenny Kravitzes, it was still going to be better, relatively speaking, than one Fray.

I like both versions of Layla. I have the Derek And The Dominoes version on my iPod, fwiw.

I like that whole album one fuckload.

I've been on a blues kick lately, listening to Zeppelin, Clapton, B.B. King, and stuff.

Yes, I know they're barely the blues, I'm neon-white, etc, etc.

I'm glad you said it, not me. Try some Buddy Guy next.

Let's not forget that Clapton won a "Best Rock Song" Grammy for a 25 year-old composition.

Fuck him.

Goddam he used to be great though.

Have you heard the album yet? Sounded great to me on re-evaluation, and it's going to be terrific summer music.

No, "Weekend" is the only song I've heard. They're one of the bands on my "maybe" list for checking out at Lolla this year. I'll hear the album in full at some point, I'm sure.

:hmm: Doesn't she play, like, 70s singer songwriter kind of music? That's usually in my wheelhouse.

Based on the research I've done today, she seems to do a bunch of different styles and genres. And they're mostly all covers. She just picks awesome songs that somebody else wrote, and sings them herself. Smart woman.

And she was super hot.

YouTube - The Stone Poneys (feat Linda Ronstadt) - Different Drum (1967)

This is a song that I used to hear on oldies stations a lot, and until today I didn't know it was Linda Ronstadt. The Stone Poneys is a fucking awesome band name, by the way. This shit is super '60s and it's one of those songs from that era that has a very bittersweet vibe. They were trying their damnedest to love everything and be happy all the time, but they felt that shit was coming to an end soon and knew in the back of their minds that everything actually sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom