Random Music Talk LXVII: All the First-World Problems You Can Handle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My favorite tracks on the new Grizzly Bear are the first three "full" tracks on there: Sleeping Ute, Speak In Rounds, and Yet Again. Throw that nice little instrumental interlude in there, and the first 15 or so minutes of the album are pretty perfect. Still trying to crack the second half.

And I'm seeing them live in three days, on a bill with Cloud Nothings and Dinosaur Jr.

EDIT: I'm listening now and track 6, A Simple Answer, is hitting me more than it did on previous listens.

My favorite tracks on the new Grizzly Bear are the first three "full" tracks on there: Sleeping Ute, Speak In Rounds, and Yet Again. Throw that nice little instrumental interlude in there, and the first 15 or so minutes of the album are pretty perfect. Still trying to crack the second half.

Sleeping Ute is one of the songs of the year for me. It really distills the many things that they do well into a concise statement.

I wanted to go to that Chicago show, but the price ended up being a bit more than I was comfortable paying. Hope you enjoy it, though.

And I'm seeing them live in three days, on a bill with Cloud Nothings and Dinosaur Jr.

Speaking of Dinosaur Jr., their new album is REALLY good, maintaining the level of quality from the previous two reunion albums, but mellowing things out just a bit and letting Mascis indulge himself on more solos.

This is a good thing.

Love the cover, too.

Dinosaur-Jr-I-Bet-On-Sky.jpg

EDIT: I'm listening now and track 6, A Simple Answer, is hitting me more than it did on previous listens.

Yeah, A Simple Answer is great. I like the last 3 quite a bit as well. Really happy with the album so far. I'm jealous you get to see them, I still haven't had a chance. The haven't come here over the course of the last 3 albums that I'm aware of. They're one of those "must see" bands for me at this point.

u2popmofo said:
Yeah, A Simple Answer is great. I like the last 3 quite a bit as well. Really happy with the album so far. I'm jealous you get to see them, I still haven't had a chance. The haven't come here over the course of the last 3 albums that I'm aware of. They're one of those "must see" bands for me at this point.

How does it feel to know I will see them live before you do?

cobl04 said:
How does it feel to know I will see them live before you do?

But you probably spent $800 more than the rest of us would have, so that's OK.

Seen em already, supporting one of my favorite albums of all time. I have nothing but kind words to say.

Speaking of Dinosaur Jr., their new album is REALLY good, maintaining the level of quality from the previous two reunion albums, but mellowing things out just a bit and letting Mascis indulge himself on more solos.

This is a good thing.

Holy shit, I agree with laz about something.

Danny Boy said:
So apparently alcohol enemas is a thing.

Who knew?

There's a guy in the city who does that, I intubated him once, he's been tubed at least one other time that I'm aware of when he's done it.

So I didn't realize that Frightened Rabbit had a new EP out / coming. I also didn't realize they'd signed to a major label. Hmm.

Probably only on sites where they make it look as if half the amount of songs are included.

Waiting 4 Prince. There's like 500 people here.

Could be a long night. But at least they're piping in Eddie Murphy tunes.

What kind of pet shop is filled with rambunctious yahoos and hot jazz music at 3 am?

Prince's.

Good God. He only played an hour, but it was extremely dope. Once in a lifetime type shit right there.

THEN Janelle Monae came out and rocked some shit from that new album she promised us ages ago, jammed for another 15 minutes or so and closed with Tightrope. The crowds were harsh on her, but I tuned them out and had an amazing time.

I was like 100 feet from Prince. I would have paid $75 for Housequake alone, but the New Power Generation also rocked some Curtis Mayfield and Aretha.

Why hast thou abandoned ye olde Prince thread??

An hour of Prince is worth full sets by most artists. The Janelle set is a nice little bonus.

Any other recognizable songs? When I went to one of his afterparties I barely could identify anything. And considering how much non-release/non-album stuff he has it's not surprising.

Hell, the guy opened some of the shows on the tour last year with a song off The Chocolate Invasion, which is a fan club-only release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom