Random Music Talk LXV: 6400 Posts Have Led Up To This

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
water=wet.

Feel like I'm coming down with my thousandth ear infection, guys. Preparing for a week or so of pain, lack of appetite and my hearing being worse when it's over.

So Peef, if you're ever in Seattle...

banner3.jpg

Ear infection, yaaaaay. That sucks, hope it doesn't get that bad and you get over it soon. Are you taking anything for it or something?

I had a nasty little toothache earlier this week. Blergh.

Right now it's just an earache. Waiting to see if it goes full-blown infection. If it does, I'll see the doctor. For now, I'm just gauging my pain and weighing my options.

Moonlit_Angel said:
That's a great song. I too only know a handful of their songs, but I love everything I've heard. Definitely need to start looking for the albums.

And martha, I am jealous. Some days I think we really, desperately need a time machine.

I think I've discovered why I wasnt overly impressed with japandroids. No, japandroids don't sound like the jam, but I can't get too excited about a band that seems to be aiming for the same kind of response, and in all honesty I'd rather just listen to art school on a constant loop or something. Or stiff little fingers. Again, not the same exact sound, but they're yet another band that did loud, kick you in the ass simple punk rock n roll, did it better, and did it first. Titus Andronicus and japandroids, or even some hold steady tunes, offer slightly better musicianship yet it doesn't make up for any of it in the end. It just bores me.

And yes, I want that fucking time machine. Fuck that butterfly sound of thunder effect shit with safaris, gimme rock n roll.

Reggo said:
Right now it's just an earache. Waiting to see if it goes full-blown infection. If it does, I'll see the doctor. For now, I'm just gauging my pain and weighing my options.

Boo. Up until I was 14 I'd get two ear infections a year around allergy and cold seasons, always culminating in ruptured ear drums. Then I stopped getting them, had three one hear about three years ago (like ten years later), and haven't had another one since. No idea what that was all about, but I am well sympathetic as to how much ear infections really suck. Between that, really loud music, driving with my windows down all the time and even more loud music, it really shouldn't be much of a surprise my hearing is kind of terrible. They start ringing occasionally if I use headphones for too long.

Ergh, IWB, that sounds beyond shitty. Sorry you had to deal with that.

I think I've discovered why I wasnt overly impressed with japandroids. No, japandroids don't sound like the jam, but I can't get too excited about a band that seems to be aiming for the same kind of response, and in all honesty I'd rather just listen to art school on a constant loop or something. Or stiff little fingers. Again, not the same exact sound, but they're yet another band that did loud, kick you in the ass simple punk rock n roll, did it better, and did it first. Titus Andronicus and japandroids, or even some hold steady tunes, offer slightly better musicianship yet it doesn't make up for any of it in the end. It just bores me.

And yes, I want that fucking time machine. Fuck that butterfly sound of thunder effect shit with safaris, gimme rock n roll.

I've still yet to hear anything by Titus Andronicus or Japandroids. Have heard some Hold Steady, though, but only a couple songs here and there. I get your general point, though-sometimes it's just too hard to beat the originals.

Also, hell, yes to your last two sentences :yes:.

Re: The Jam:

I used to think that Snap! was one of the greatest compilations ever, but now, I don't know. I mean, it's great, but I have a thing about 2 disc compilations these days. Take an extra hour and just listen to In The City, All Mod Cons, Setting Sons and Sound Affects and you've got it all.

LemonMelon said:
So only one band is allowed to kick your ass? That's a shame.

Not what I said. I even listed two bands. Seriously, though. That still doesn't account for the clash, above all else. Or sham 69, cocksparrer, et al. The US, with various pockets of Boston (although from boston im more partial to the '96 street punk and successors stuff than a lot of slapshot, gang green, fu's type stuff) or ny hardcore (i do enioy me some agnostic front, sheer terror, madball, killing time, cro-mags...so on and so forth) west coast punk rock be it old school black flag/gbh/circle jerks/germs type stuff or the epitaph records golden years of bad religion, rancid, mofo, pennywise, etc. Or the bouncing souls. Or...well, a lot of bands. If anything, Id have expected you to take what I said as "so no new band is ever going to kick your ass again?" which is really not entirely what I meant either, although pretty much what I said. It's probably more that the better musicianship kills off what grabs me about loud, fast, aggressive music. I want to like it, because those dudes can play. It just fails to grab me the way a metric fuckton of other bands have in the past, and they sound similar enough that I can't help but lump them into the same loose category--also probably a bigger problem, if I would just stop comparing them to other things I'd probably enjoy them more. Because they're similar though, and because that similarity is to such a large percentage of the type of music I love, I keep trying to 1) like them 2) figure out why I don't, and 3) I get annoyed when I talk myself in circles on the subject and still have no answer to either 1or 2. Maybe I just need to see them live, but I am still so burnt out on long drives out to Boston that even the Street Dogs live do very little for me anymore.

The first three Hudson Falcons albums are great. And you know what other really random album was ridiculously solid? The Beltones' Cheap Trinkets. You know who bores me to shit? Evil Conduct. And now I can't listen to forced reality's 15 pints and I'm still standing without thinking of GAF and peefster.

Not what I said. I even listed two bands. Seriously, though. That still doesn't account for the clash, above all else. Or sham 69, cocksparrer, et al. The US, with various pockets of Boston or ny hardcore, west coast punk rock be it old school black flag/gbh/circle jerks/germs type stuff or the epitaph records golden years of bad religion, rancid, mofo, pennywise, etc. Or the bouncing souls. Or...well, a lot of bands. If anything, Id have expected you to take what I said as "so no new band is ever going to kick your ass again?" which is really not entirely what I meant either, although pretty much what I said. It's probably more that the better musicianship kills off what grabs me about loud, fast, aggressive music. I want to like it, because those dudes can play. It just fails to grab me the way a metric fuckton of other bands have in the past, and they sound similar enough that I can't help but lump them into the same loose category--also probably a bigger problem, if I would just stop comparing them to other things I'd probably enjoy them more. Because they're similar though, and because that similarity is to such a large percentage of the type of music I love, I keep trying to 1) like them 2) figure out why I don't, and 3) I get annoyed when I talk myself in circles on the subject and still have no answer to either 1or 2. Maybe I just need to see them live, but I am still so burnt out on long drives out to Boston that even the Street Dogs live do very little for me anymore.

I like my bands to kind of be able to play. Not great, necessarily; maybe know the scale, maybe not (I mean, it's in alphabetical order, so not too hard). Vocals are the bigger thing. If it's just a bunch of incoherent screaming, I'm out, especially since I am a lover of lyrics and if the band is actually saying something (as the Jam and the Clash so often do), I'm putty. Great hooks can make up for that, of course. I don't care what Japandroids sings about, it just sounds good.

I don't even know what kind of music we're talking about here though. Punk? Hardcore? Garage rock? Mod?

Shit, I need to sleep.

I don't know what kind of music I'm talking about either, and I think being awake for 28 hours has something to do with it. I can't categorize music when I'm not exhausted, and I certainly can't right now. I pretty much threw all of it into that one post because it all holds and undercurrent of loud, fast, aggressiveness, even if it's 90 million different sub-categories.

I've tried to listen to so much bridge 9 style hardcore, and in the end it all sounds like the same thing. It's a lot of screaming. And not much more.

Catchiness, hooks, anthemic sing-a-long stuff trumps being able to play in my mind. And just tends to detract from the other stuff for me.

I was laughing about how I'd try to throw a block of mod stuff into a playlist when I was doing a radio show at school, and how silly and narrow it really was. It would usually consist of a song from: the jam, the chords, the nips' "gabrielle", small faces " sha la la la la lee," an early who song, and serve as an excuse to then play Wilson Pickett, the four tops, Otis redding, Sam Cooke, before then jarring any unsuspecting listener with lamb of god, early killswitch, or something else ridiculous like that. What I'm saying is, other than the jam, the who in the beginning, Shane Macgowan before the pogues, the small faces, the chords (and who the fuck were they and where did I hear of them? maybe tomorrow is a wicked good song, at any rate), I have no idea what mod stuff is anyway. Other than a northern soul compilation I found and never listened to? Fuck it, I'm going to bed.

*Not appropriate to post the video on this forum*

but what do the audiophiles think of the new video for the Flaming Lips's cover of Roberta Flack's First Time Ever I Saw Your Face starring Amanda Palmer?

It really changes from day to day, mood to mood. Purity Ring probably has my favorite live show of the three even though Claire (Grimes) is the most charismatic performer. Caroline (Chairlift) has one of my absolute favorite voices and is hotter than any human has a right to be. I absolutely love Something, but Grimes and Purity Ring are probably more my style musically.

Visions is probably the best album of the bunch, so we'll go with Grimes for the time being.

Plus she just put out a cool video in which she wears a hat that says "pussy"and carries a flaming sword like she's Beric fucking Dondarrion

But then again, I'm sure I'll hear "Wrong Opinion" or "Fineshrine" later and want to change my answer accordingly.

Thank you for the lengthy response. I have pondered it.

I think I will also ponder Game of Thrones every time I see or hear of a flaming sword from here on out. Suck on that, Cherub.

I know 4 people that care:

Romantics1-1.gif

lololololololol

lol

I dont think I listen to the jam's that's entertainment nearly as often as I should. I also don't think it's possible to listen to that song too much.

One of those songs where I vastly prefer a cover of it to the original.

Looks like The Flaming Lips have recut "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" video with Amanda Palmer. No cornstarch this time.

But no clothes, either.

Please don't tell me it's Amanda Palmer going clothes-free, as I may not leave the house for a week.

I'm now standing front row at the Springsteen show in Moncton. I arrived at 2, doors opened at 3, and yet here I am. One of the most civilized GA systems I've seen.

I heard people behind me talking about the infamous Vik episode last year, which made me laugh.

I get a kick out of the Ben Folds song "Rockin' The Suburbs."

That whole album is pretty good.

I like Ben Folds Five slightly more than his solo stuff; he sounded a bit more like an ironic 90s Carole King on those records.

I'm excited about their reunion album. Maybe I should make a thread for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom