Random Music Talk LXIX: Give it to Laz - He'll Eat Anything

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got home from the funeral of a former classmate. Hung himself at 22. Hundreds of people at the funeral. I didn't really know him that well, but man.

I didn't cry (and yet I cry every time I watch Toy Story 3, go figure) but it's probably the saddest thing I've ever experienced. I hope I never, ever have to go to a young person's funeral again :sigh:

Just got home from the funeral of a former classmate. Hung himself at 22. Hundreds of people at the funeral. I didn't really know him that well, but man.

I didn't cry (and yet I cry every time I watch Toy Story 3, go figure) but it's probably the saddest thing I've ever experienced. I hope I never, ever have to go to a young person's funeral again :sigh:

Oh honey. I'm so sorry. That's awful.

Tell me more. I use my old walkman headphones because the ipod earbuds are too big for my ears.

Well they're not the cheapest thing on the market, but stuff like this:

Custom or Universal

These are musician rated, and very good across most all of the price points above $150 or so. They're also very durable, I've had mine for almost 7 years and have done everything from perform in them to run, bike, workout, etc. Above all, they are simply amazing on the plane. Really don't think I could fly without them ever again. They don't seem to suffer from cord/connector breakdown as easy as retail ipod earphones etc, so the cost is justified imo. The other best thing about them is you can keep the music low volume, which is better for your hearing.

Shure and Sennheiser also make similarly priced, and cheaper, models. Whichever brand you do narrow to, make sure you're getting at least dual drivers.

I don't think the ones you can buy at Best Buy etc are any good, they are "in ear style", but not true monitor quality.

Thanks guys, it just sucks to think this bloke had all this support, all these people who cared about him, but was too far gone to see it. Very sad and I feel so sorry for the family.

One of the most touching things I've ever seen happened at the burial - one woman was crying hysterically and so one of the older family members (they are Tongan) instructed all the Tongan men and women to start singing in harmony. It was beautiful.

Very sad, way too young to die. Sorry to hear that man.

And I cried for Toy Story 3 also. I think it's a sign you have a soul, and that's a good thing.

Sorry to hear that, Cobbler..... It sucks that life has to be peppered with the reality of dealing with death.

It's taking every ounce of restraint not to correct "hanged".... but I guess I just did

(You said you didn't know him very well. If he was a close friend I would've refrained from grammar policing ;) )

Thanks guys, it just sucks to think this bloke had all this support, all these people who cared about him, but was too far gone to see it. Very sad and I feel so sorry for the family.

I can't even begin to imagine what it's like to feel that way as it is, but for someone that young to feel like that is just...*Shakes head*.

One of the most touching things I've ever seen happened at the burial - one woman was crying hysterically and so one of the older family members (they are Tongan) instructed all the Tongan men and women to start singing in harmony. It was beautiful.

Aw. Sounds nice.

As for the mention of 'Toy Story 3' in here-I've still yet to see that one, but I definitely remember crying my eyes out during the bit in 'Toy Story 2' with Jessie's whole "I've been abandoned" thing. A relative gave me a doll when I was 2 years old that they made for me, and I still have her to this day-she's my favorite one (we're talking "if my house were burning this is the thing I'd save" here), and after that scene I wanted to just curl up with said doll and give her a big hug.

Madvillainy = much better with headphones

Fact.

Very sorry to hear about your friend of a friend/person that you kinda knew's death. I've never been to a funeral of someone that young before and hope I never have to. My father always told me stories about being in high school during Vietnam and having to go to one after another and it chilled me to the core.

LemonMelon said:
Fact.

Very sorry to hear about your friend of a friend/person that you kinda knew's death. I've never been to a funeral of someone that young before and hope I never have to. My father always told me stories about being in high school during Vietnam and having to go to one after another and it chilled me to the core.

I tried playing it in my car just before but you can't really hear the music/production. No good.

Man one was bad enough. If you ever need a reason not to go to war that's it.

Uhhhh....what I mean is....let's go vote!

Democracy!

Fucking god fucking dammit to fucking hell I will never in my life understand how anybody could vote for Romney in this election. And if you tell me that you'll vote for Romney, I have a lot less respect for you than I did two seconds ago. Please fuck off.

And I thank you.

I think I'm just nervous and need some sleep. Sorry. Everybody listen to "State Of Grace" off of the new Tigg LP if you want to hear the best song of the year. Sorry. One love.

Well they're not the cheapest thing on the market, but stuff like this:

Custom or Universal

These are musician rated, and very good across most all of the price points above $150 or so. They're also very durable, I've had mine for almost 7 years and have done everything from perform in them to run, bike, workout, etc. Above all, they are simply amazing on the plane. Really don't think I could fly without them ever again. They don't seem to suffer from cord/connector breakdown as easy as retail ipod earphones etc, so the cost is justified imo. The other best thing about them is you can keep the music low volume, which is better for your hearing.

Shure and Sennheiser also make similarly priced, and cheaper, models. Whichever brand you do narrow to, make sure you're getting at least dual drivers.

I don't think the ones you can buy at Best Buy etc are any good, they are "in ear style", but not true monitor quality.

Thanks for the link. I use my Bose headphones with my big ipod, but I can't justify taking Bose headphones to the gym.
Fucking god fucking dammit to fucking hell I will never in my life understand how anybody could vote for Romney in this election. And if you tell me that you'll vote for Romney, I have a lot less respect for you than I did two seconds ago. Please fuck off.

:hi5:

Uhhhh....what I mean is....let's go vote!

Democracy!

And I thank you.

If it's any consolation, I will never in my life understand how anybody could vote for Obama in this election either.

If one is anything other than a straight white Christian guy, I think it is abundantly clear why one would vote for Obama.

Because they're just as ignorant and backwards thinking as those voting for Romney?

No, that's not it in the slightest. It's that women and gays in particular, and basically any other minority demographic, are looking at direct threats to their livelihoods from a Republican administration.

So I just got back to my office and checked my email and opened one from a local radio station that says:
Congratulations! You're won your way into having Breakfast with Billy Corgan this Saturday October 27th at the Hard Rock Café. Please arrive at 8:30am.

Your name will be on the guest list, so please bring your ID with you, this is for you and a guest. There will be complimentary breakfast served by the Hard Rock café.

You've also won apair of tickets to see the Smashing Pumpkins that night at the Agganis Arena, your tickets can be picked up at the Hard Rock café.

Forgot I even entered the thing, apparently I'm having scrambled eggs with Uncle Fester on Saturday.

Wow. Era Extrana is really good. Hadn't listened to it since Psychic Chasms didn't grab me much. Might have to revisit that one as my tastes may have changed since I was dismissive of it.

Sorry to hear about your friend, Cobbler. I have personally known 3 people who have committed suicide, but similarly they have been acquaintances and not close friends. I always wonder what caused them to make that decision, but I didn't know them well enough to really know their demons.

One guy I went to elementary school and junior high with. He killed himself in his early twenties. He was a gifted athlete but very short. I remember him being very cocky and always believing he could beat anyone at anything. I've always wondered if the realization that he couldn't had something to do with his suicide.

Another guy I went to junior high and high school with. He committed suicide in his mid twenties. In junior high he was a total metal head and wore Ozzy and Iron Maiden shirts to school everyday. Then in high school he knuckled down and became one of the top students in the class. Unfortunately I don't think he had much success in college and didn't have a solid career, and I've again always wondered if that had something to do with his decision.

The third was a girl that lived in my freshman dorm in college. She got back together with her high school boyfriend second semester and he dumped her over the summer, so she poisoned herself with carbon monoxide in her parents garage. I've always thought that was a particularly stupid reason. :(

That's terrible, Cobbler - but that moment you described when the family comforted the woman by singing sounds like the kind of incredible moment you'll remember forever. A small bloom in a lot of darkness. Someone I went to school with recently committed suicide too, though I can barely remember her a few of my friends were very close to her, so it's been kind of crushing seeing them after. It's hard to know what to say after it. Maybe you're just not meant to say anything. I don't know if words can really work in that kind of situation.

Suicide's something I've always been intrigued by. Never could do it myself - I suppose I see myself as being so accident-prone that there wouldn't be any point - but the feelings and thoughts that come before the act, the justification and decision, that's fascinating. Maybe I need to read more Hume.

Wow. Era Extrana is really good. Hadn't listened to it since Psychic Chasms didn't grab me much. Might have to revisit that one as my tastes may have changed since I was dismissive of it.

This was a fun little post to see. Glad you enjoyed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom