Random Music Talk LXI: In Which PFan and GAF Drink a Lot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Coachella just launched a cruise! One two the Bahamas and one to Jamaica in December. Pulp, Hot Chip, Yeasayer, Girl Talk, Killer Mike, Sleigh Bells and more. No curfew. Wine tasting with James Murphy. So keen.

Jive Turkey said:
I liked them at first, but now I can't get past the douchey image they portray. It makes me want to hate them. Then I can't listen to the music objectively.

This is pretty douchey :lol:

I have, for the record, never enjoyed Vampire Weekend. I was one of the only naysayers in the thread. I might actually appreciate them ever so slightly now.

Their fashion sense is embarrassing, but I've seen worse.

I think the argument can be made that Vampire Weekend was over-hyped as well. I generally like them, but their status as torchbearers for the entire indie scene is something I cannot quite understand.

Not really their fault by any means, but I get why it can be annoying for some people. I'm sure my weird feelings towards Wilco 10 years ago were for the same lame reason.

So that Baroness album was $9.99 at Best Buy (regular price). Probably the least I've ever paid for a brand new double album.

I was driving through campus today (Pacific Lutheran University) and I passed by four girls sitting on a blanket in the front yard of a house, surrounding a large bong. This is literally right across the street from campus, from the Lutheran church, no less.

Is this common behavior on college campuses these days?

Loaded has always been my favorite. Love the bluesiness of Sweet Nothin'.

I reach for Loaded the most often, and it's a great pop/rock album, proving they could strike gold as often as the Stones or Beatles if they wanted to. But learning that Doug Yule sings lead vocals on half the tracks (including the amazing Oh Sweet Nuthin') kind of bummed me out and I'll never hear it the same way again.

Seminal 90's album, but I actually prefer the follow-up Come On Feel The Lemonheads. Juliana Hatfield still on board, and the songs are a little more varied and sophisticated. And there are still a few rockers.

Plus, they got both Rick James and Belinda Carlisle to show up and sing. That's pretty awesome.

The Great Big No, It's About Time, Down About It, Style (both versions), Favorite T, Being Around, Big Gay Heart. Lot of standout tracks.

Then I will listen to it. I see it's about twice as long, but more Lemonheads doesn't seem like a bad thing.

Having listened to all four VU albums today (discounting Squeeze of course), I am really amazed at how distinct each of them is. Really a highly versatile band.

I was driving through campus today (Pacific Lutheran University) and I passed by four girls sitting on a blanket in the front yard of a house, surrounding a large bong. This is literally right across the street from campus, from the Lutheran church, no less.

Is this common behavior on college campuses these days?

We did stuff like that in college without giving it a second thought. Somehow we felt like nothing bad would happen and somehow nothing ever did. (Don't do it, Peef.)

I listened to A Shame About Ray a few months ago when I was working on a mix for my nephew (the theme was songs that came out the year he was born). I quite enjoyed it.

I have, for the record, never enjoyed Vampire Weekend. I was one of the only naysayers in the thread. I might actually appreciate them ever so slightly now.

Their fashion sense is embarrassing, but I've seen worse.

(insert Coldplay picture from one of last two albums/tours)

Me and Cori talk about music on Twitter now. We are too cool for RMT.

You're one of the few people I regularly interact with there. I follow a few friends/acquaintances, but most of my feed is magazines/blogs/celebs/news sites.

I'm an excellent driver.

Wapner's on at 4.

I liked them at first, but now I can't get past the douchey image they portray. It makes me want to hate them. Then I can't listen to the music objectively.

I don't know anything about them, other than preppie clothes and privileged background. I don't really give a shit if I like the music. Unless they're total dickheads, and I haven't heard anything to suggest they are.

I remember seeing a lot of online discussion about musical/cultural appropriation with the African music influence, and I thought that was all interesting and there were likely some good points made in all of that kerfuffle, but it doesn't make me dislike them or the music.

I don't care about privilege unless the band is actively trying to project a working class image. Vampire Weekend are rich kids making music for rich kids. In their earlier days, the Strokes were rich kids who slummed. They wanted to be the fucking Velvet Underground or something and still be handed the keys to the indie rock kingdom. That always bugged me a little bit.

But if I really hated all privileged musicians, I wouldn't be a Blur or Radiohead fan. It is what it is.

Jive Turkey said:
How is that douchey?

What cori said... if you can't judge their music objectively because of the way they dress or an image they purport, I think that's a little douchey. It's like people who refuse to listen to Kanye because he's a massive douchebag. That stuff doesn't come into it for me. It's all about the music

lazarus said:
Friggin' Cobbler.

would be a pretty sweet way to go out!

I don't care about privilege unless the band is actively trying to project a working class image. Vampire Weekend are rich kids making music for rich kids.

I kind of get what you're saying thanks to the Strokes comparison, but what is "music for rich kids?"

I ain't no rich kid.

Or a rich girl, so Hall & Oates are right out.

What cori said... if you can't judge their music objectively because of the way they dress or an image they purport, I think that's a little douchey. It's like people who refuse to listen to Kanye because he's a massive douchebag. That stuff doesn't come into it for me. It's all about the music

I'm sure there are plenty of things in life that you don't give a fair shake because of a perceived image. It's not like I'm doing anything unusual. Have you never heard the term 'guilty pleasure'? Where do you think that concept is coming from? Dropping the 'it's all about the music' tired cliche is just as douchey

I totally get someone not listening to someone's music or watching their movies if the artist's actions reveal that they're a douchebag.

I'm not trying to argue about it, because some people care about that stuff more than others (duh), I was just honestly kind of surprised by the hate for VW when it seemed so random.

I mean, you don't like their music, then there you go. It's the other stuff that surprised me. Like, the hate for them kind of snuck up on me while I was off digging the CD. Ha.

I kind of get what you're saying thanks to the Strokes comparison, but what is "music for rich kids?"

Well, the lyrics of the songs are primarily about that Northeastern privileged world: Ivy League schools, Cape Cod vacations, etc. And it could be argued that the songs are directed primarily at people who are going to understand/relate to that world.

I'm not that demographic either, but I know enough about that culture to appreciate what they're writing about.

They may be derivative, whatever. They still sound pretty unique compared to the rest of their indie rock contemporaries. I like both albums a lot.

If you're in college, you're more rich and educated than the demographic The Strokes are aiming at. Listen to the topics they sing about. You buy chapstick, you love Peter Gabriel, you've probably drank or are cognizant of horchata. Hell, you might even be able to pick up on the total boner they've got for Fela Kuti. They advertise Tommy Hilfiger.

Music for rich, educated white people.

EDIT: What Laz said.

Again, I'm not complaining. They're honest with themselves.

I'm not trying to argue about it, because some people care about that stuff more than others (duh), I was just honestly kind of surprised by the hate for VW when it seemed so random.

I mean, you don't like their music, then there you go. It's the other stuff that surprised me. Like, the hate for them kind of snuck up on me while I was off digging the CD. Ha.

Oh, that wasn't a direct reply to you. Just an addendum to my previous post

I don't care about privilege unless the band is actively trying to project a working class image. Vampire Weekend are rich kids making music for rich kids. In their earlier days, the Strokes were rich kids who slummed. They wanted to be the fucking Velvet Underground or something and still be handed the keys to the indie rock kingdom. That always bugged me a little bit.

But if I really hated all privileged musicians, I wouldn't be a Blur or Radiohead fan. It is what it is.

Exactly. My life doesn't resemble that of the guys in Vampire Weekend in any way in terms of privilege or money or whatever, but I still like them. All my favorite bands (and actors) are doing fine for themselves money-wise, so if I'm going to start hating on people for that, I've got a long list to go through.

I've only heard Contra in full, I've only heard a few songs off their debut. But I definitely like all the things I have heard from the band. And from the interviews and such I've seen with them, they seem like decent enough guys to me, so...*Shrugs*.

I do find all those topics banal and meaningless fwiw, and I'm a lyrics guy, but if that's what you know, you should write about it. Don't pretend to be something you aren't.

I want to listen to Common People all of a sudden.

Ha! Yeah, I did a little side-eye at that line. I'm assuming there's a lyric about chapstick in one of the songs, which is pretty goofy.

But considering I'm addicted to lip balm, I guess I can say that VW makes music for me! Hooray!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom