Random Music Talk LXI: In Which PFan and GAF Drink a Lot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's like 40 degrees in the newsroom here. I just stepped outside to warm up. The novelty wore off in about 10 seconds.

As someone who just spent an entire weekend standing in a foot of water with stoned hipsters, I hope they secure stronger headliners than Vampire Weekend and Grimes.

Ha, that's pretty funny. I will never go on a cruise, though I will reread David Foster Wallace's cruise ship essay probably once a year until I die.

Am I the only living soul who likes Vampire Weekend? I think their first album is great (except that one song about how Blake has a new face, because wtf? also, it's annoying).

Second one's good too, but that first one is just so much fun.

They need to dip into their trust funds and find a ghostwriter to fix those lyrics.

Hell, I'll do it.

Well, you know me - I'm not one to care about lyrics that much. :)

(Unless they're talking about Blake getting a new face.)

I really love the Pavement song "Box Elder", you guys.

I like Vampire Weekend. Haven't heard the debut but there were a few great tunes on the last one. Giving Up The Gun and the clip that went with it were awesome.

Health-nuts, what are your feelings on supplements? Fanatic, ok with them, or feel like there as unnatural as processed foods? People seem can be pretty divisive on it all.

I'm going to pickup the Baroness album this evening. Anyone else checked it out yet?

Health-nuts, what are your feelings on supplements? Fanatic, ok with them, or feel like there as unnatural as processed foods?

Go for it.

BarryBonds.jpg

Health-nuts, what are your feelings on supplements? Fanatic, ok with them, or feel like there as unnatural as processed foods? People seem can be pretty divisive on it all.

Fairly fanatic. Lately I like brands like MegaFood because the nutrients actually do come from whole food.

There's a huge thread of those of us who like them.

I only ever hear about people talking about disliking them, and they're not posting in that thread. Which is to say I didn't realize there was a thread. :wink:

I really didn't have anything to say about them other than to pipe up to say "Hey, I like them!"

I confess I've never listened to a whole VW record. I just wasn't crazy enough about anything I heard or saw to want to listen to more, but I always figured I was in the minority.

It's A Shame About Ray by the Lemonheads is fast becoming a favorite album of mine. It's like what would have happened had the Replacements stayed together up to that weird period in the mid-90s when jangle pop started being commercially viable.

I listened to that album (on cassette!) so much when that thing came out. One of my friends had it on heavy rotation for that whole year.

Me and Cori talk about music on Twitter now. We are too cool for RMT.

Also, I just stumbled across this. Must say I had a pretty good laugh at it. I mean it's obviously ridiculous, but I had a chuckle. I should tweet it to the extreme feminists I follow on twitter.

Drive - Women Only Parking Spots To Be Introduced

Mayor Gallus Strobel, from the Black Forest town of Triberg, told Germany’s Spiegel magazine he introduced the spots because men were better at parking than women.

The women’s spaces, which are marked by female symbols, are reportedly better lit and wider, while the men-only spots have concrete pillars to negotiate and can only be reversed into.

Strobel told the magazine that women were welcome to attempt parking in the men-only spots, but that “men are, as a rule, a little better at such challenges”. He denied accusations of sexism, pointing out that there were 10 women-only spots in the carpark compared to only two men-only spots.

I listened to that album (on cassette!) so much when that thing came out. One of my friends had it on heavy rotation for that whole year.

:hi5: It's a kickass summer album. Made my commute a lot better today (as well as Posies' Frosting on the Beater.

Me and Cori talk about music on Twitter now. We are too cool for RMT.

Also, I just stumbled across this. Must say I had a pretty good laugh at it. I mean it's obviously ridiculous, but I had a chuckle. I should tweet it to the extreme feminists I follow on twitter.

Drive - Women Only Parking Spots To Be Introduced

Women driver jokes?

In other news, American Airlines will be offering larger bags of peanuts, and Target will begin stocking Roundtine starting next week.

I only ever hear about people talking about disliking them, and they're not posting in that thread. Which is to say I didn't realize there was a thread. :wink:

I really didn't have anything to say about them other than to pipe up to say "Hey, I like them!"

Yeah, I think a lot of people unfortunately joined the "hate train" (pun about Vampire Weekend thread title) once they became popular.

I liked them at first, but now I can't get past the douchey image they portray. It makes me want to hate them. Then I can't listen to the music objectively.

I don't get that either. The guys are extremely nice and polite, nerdily so. Not what I think of when I think "douche". I understand thinking they have some really lame fans, because they do. Then again, so does U2.

Vampire Weekend--never heard a song of theirs that I like. I tried. Now when they come on the radio, I change the station immediately.

But my God. Can't get enough Twin Shadow right now!

I think the argument can be made that Vampire Weekend was over-hyped as well. I generally like them, but their status as torchbearers for the entire indie scene is something I cannot quite understand.

It's A Shame About Ray by the Lemonheads is fast becoming a favorite album of mine. It's like what would have happened had the Replacements stayed together up to that weird period in the mid-90s when jangle pop started being commercially viable.

Seminal 90's album, but I actually prefer the follow-up Come On Feel The Lemonheads. Juliana Hatfield still on board, and the songs are a little more varied and sophisticated. And there are still a few rockers.

Plus, they got both Rick James and Belinda Carlisle to show up and sing. That's pretty awesome.

The Great Big No, It's About Time, Down About It, Style (both versions), Favorite T, Being Around, Big Gay Heart. Lot of standout tracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom