Random Music Talk LVIII: The Moon And Antarctica

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having trouble mustering the will to drive to Dallas for Lips + St. Vincent right now, guys.

Peter Gabriel is coming to Chicago in September, supporting So's 25th :up::up::up:

It's been an extremely slow year for me as far as gigs are concerned, but Peter Gabriel, Bruce Springsteen and potentially Radiohead, plus Lollapalooza and Pitchfork should keep me busy (and broke) over the next three months.

Elton John's self-titled is a very underrated album. Take Me To The Pilot and Border Song kick ass. And of course, Your Song.

I don't know about underrated, as it launched one of the most successful pop careers in history, but it is a damn strong album.

Compared to the Tumbleweed Connection, Madman, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and Captain Fantastic, I don't feel that it gets enough credit for being a great album. Obviously, the hits have been run into the ground.

Hot damn, The Cage.

Reggo said:
First I thought your post said something about Ted Nugent. Then I thought it had something to do with lugnuts. Now I've just decided that I've forgotten how to read.

I made the Ted nugent mistake, too. No lug nuts though.

LemonMelon said:
Broadcast is such a great band. They have all of the hazy 60s psych I love, plus the buzzing electronics and krautrock leanings of Stereolab.

Hmmm. I like 60s psychedelic stuff and stereolab.

Peter Gabriel is coming to Chicago in September, supporting So's 25th :up::up::up:

Is he simply performing that album? I'd rather hear Us in its entirety. I mean, you have to suffer through Big Time with this, not to mention Sledgehammer, which is like 1/4 as good as its music video.

I don't know about underrated, as it launched one of the most successful pop careers in history, but it is a damn strong album.

Compared to the Tumbleweed Connection, Madman, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and Captain Fantastic, I don't feel that it gets enough credit for being a great album. Obviously, the hits have been run into the ground.

So you're saying it's better than Bowie's self-titled debut?

Is he simply performing that album?

No, not at all. He played 15-18 songs a night in a tour full of other people's material, with an orchestra. I'm assuming So will be performed in full, plus 10 others.

So is one of my least favorite Gabriel albums, but it is what it is. I love Don't Give Up, Sledgehammer, Red Rain and In Your Eyes, so there's that. But I loathe Big Time, always have, and I can't even remember the others.

lazarus said:
Is he simply performing that album? I'd rather hear Us in its entirety. I mean, you have to suffer through Big Time with this, not to mention Sledgehammer, which is like 1/4 as good as its music video.

He'd most likely be playing at least Sledgehammer regardless, so I'd take Big Time if it meant hearing the rest of it.

Agreed about Us though.

Oh, and Mercy Street live will be sweet. Forgot that in my previous post.

Nice to get some guaranteed great tracks, even if we're stuck with some crap. I would have traveled to fucking Buffalo to see Bruce play Greetings if I could have afforded it, even with a slot for Mary Queen of Arkansas.

lazarus said:
I think writing "lips" and "St. Vincent" in the same sentence should be all the motivation you need.

Didn't think of it that way. I'm leaving now. And I'm glad I'm biting the bullet. So to speak.

Danny Boy said:
There are far worse things than driving from Austin to Dallas. Driving from Dallas to Lubbuttocks, for example.

I've done it so, so many times that I've just grown to despise it. And the real sticking point this time is driving back immediately after the show. I'm on my way though. Nearly to Waco. Absolutely belting me some Misty is helping pass the time.

I've only ever done Austin to Lubbock (twice), and at least there are some cool little towns on the way. Dallas to Lubbock would be excruciatingly boring.

I've only driven up the far western part of Texas, up through the panhandle. Amarillo was the city I remember driving through.

It was by far the least part of a very long (and mostly awesome) road trip.

That's because West Texas is the most boring place on earth, with a few exceptions.

Actually East Texas is probably worse.

Texas is a living hell to drive through, but Indiana might actually be worse, especially heading east.

I had it rough learning to drive in Maryland. The terrain changes fairly often, there aren't very many highways or interstates and the weather is horrible. Regardless, that's a great deal more interesting as far as road trips are concerned. I used to have to drive 3-4 hours to every concert, but I didn't mind when I could just look off to one side and see this:

1-2-62E-25-ExplorePAHistory-a0c0d9-a_349.jpg

Yeah, that's beautiful. If I ever won the lottery, I'd spend a shitload of time just road tripping around the country.

My parents are thinking about a road trip to Alaska. "We'll drive the RV to Seattle, and then we'll take the jeep up to Alaska! It's only 24 hours of driving."

Part of me wants to jump at the chance - a) I've always wanted to go to Alaska, and driving there would be awesome; and b) let's face it, even as an almost-40 year old, my parents would probably pick up much of the tab.

On the other hand, that's a shitload of time to spend in a car with my parents.

So yeah, we'll see about that one.

You guys probably don't care about this at all but I need to post about it anyway. I'm too excited.

One of my favourite bands, dEUS just pulled a Radiohead. They announced and released(!) a new album today, just 8 months after their latest album. It's great as well. The album cover might be familiar...

deus-following_sea_cover_low.jpg

Plus you have to deal with Maryland drivers.

I don't know what that's about. Our driving tests are shockingly rigorous compared to what's offered in the midwest, but the level of intelligence on the road is still abysmal.

A good idea is to avoid I-95 as much as possible.

My mother commutes 2 hours round-trip for work every day, and the trip cuts through the Appalachian Mountains for most of the time, resulting in views like that.. I'm sure she's sick of it by now, but I miss it.

I'm going to be commuting an hour and a half every day for an internship I'm doing with the Times of Northwest Indiana (forgot to mention that I got it!), and the trip is going to be torture. All the frustration of driving to Chicago with none of the fun of visiting Chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom