Random Music Talk LV: Discussing The Music We've Been Listening to and Enjoying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
iron yuppie said:
The fucking iPhone is the worst thing ever to happen to concerts. Of that I am sure.

Truest thing I've heard all day. Would be on a non-April Fools' as well.

Who are you seeing? And yeah, it is. I've taken hardly any photos or videos. I prefer to dance and sing like a lunatic.

Same here. A few photos or a video clip here and there is fine, but yeah, if you're doing it the entire show and barely paying any actual attention to the artist themselves, why the hell are you there?

Enjoy the show, iron yuppie.

Same here. A few photos or a video clip here and there is fine, but yeah, if you're doing it the entire show and barely paying any actual attention to the artist themselves, why the hell are you there?
:reject: I...kinda did that at Green Day and I regret it. I mean, I did get some epic pictures and video clips, but, yeah. I was way too focused on taking pictures like a Japanese tourist than having fun at the show. The batteries dying in my camera while I was in line should have been a sign. My two favourite memories of the gig were while my arms were sandwiched to my sides when people rushed the rail during the first few songs. Usually I listen to the universe, but that night, I was listening to my inner fangirl. I mean, I was in the same room, with Tre Cool. Who was 20-ish feet away. And Mike was even closer. I consider it lucky I didn't short-circuit completely and pass out or something. Learnt my lesson with U2. Got some decent pics and a couple of decent video clips, but I was more engaged there.

I don't see the point in taking videos when there's 700 clips from every angle up on YouTube the next day. I don't even watch the videos I have taken, so never again.

When I saw U2 in Brisbane with my cousin, who is also a massive U2 fan (he was in a band once, and he sampled the white noise at the start of Daddy's Gonna Pay in one of their songs), I was so distraught when he spent a fair amount of it filming. He stood perfectly still and filmed the entirety of City of Blinding Lights, as I lost my shit despite it being the third time in a week I'd seen it.

Also: I waste too much time on songmeanings. The latest pearl of wisdom, from Punchup at a Wedding: "This song seems to be centered around the fragility of something that should be absorbing and beautiful. It could just as easily be about being splattered with mud from a passing truck while carrying a piece of artwork. Or something like that. The "No no no" seems like denial. We want to believe that these beautiful things can exist without being ruined."

Years ago I was working in the ER and the paramedics brought in the father of the bride DOA straight from the reception. He had a massive coronary in the middle of the festivities.

The entire wedding party was standing around the trauma bay in their formal wear watching them code the guy. It was surreal and horrible at the same time.

Sorry, shitty story, but Cobbler reminded me of it.

:reject: I...kinda did that at Green Day and I regret it. I mean, I did get some epic pictures and video clips, but, yeah. I was way too focused on taking pictures like a Japanese tourist than having fun at the show. The batteries dying in my camera while I was in line should have been a sign. My two favourite memories of the gig were while my arms were sandwiched to my sides when people rushed the rail during the first few songs. Usually I listen to the universe, but that night, I was listening to my inner fangirl. I mean, I was in the same room, with Tre Cool. Who was 20-ish feet away. And Mike was even closer. I consider it lucky I didn't short-circuit completely and pass out or something. Learnt my lesson with U2. Got some decent pics and a couple of decent video clips, but I was more engaged there.

Aw, now I feel bad for my comment earlier. Eh, well, I can understand being so excited about wanting to capture everything, too-almost like you're afraid if you don't capture it all down somehow you'll forget eventually or something. I fully confess to doing the "writing down the set list" thing, I've done that at concerts for my favorite bands. But mainly that's because sometimes I've looked online at setlists and they're incorrect and such, so if I write it down, I have it all proper and accurate. I know. It's a weird obsessive thing. So I'm a bit of a hypocrite on the whole "pay attention to the show" issue, too :p.

I've always left the picture taking to whomever goes to a show with me, simply because I'm afraid if I do it my pictures will turn out like crap.

I definitely know the "inner fangirl" feeling you talk about, too, by the way. I used to always find the girls absolutely spazzing out over the Beatles in those clips amusing, but...um...yeah, I wasn't THAT hysterical, but close enough to it, when I've seen bands I like.

Years ago I was working in the ER and the paramedics brought in the father of the bride DOA straight from the reception. He had a massive coronary in the middle of the festivities.

The entire wedding party was standing around the trauma bay in their formal wear watching them code the guy. It was surreal and horrible at the same time.

Sorry, shitty story, but Cobbler reminded me of it.

A Dothraki wedding without at least three massive coronaries is considered a dull affair.

So I made that blog.

ramblings from djp | A home for all my ramblings, stories, reviews, interviews, and all the rest

It won't spare you all from my long-winded and overly-detailed post-gig reviews, but you can read it for slightly more refined versions of those reviews, plus my opinions on things, interviews, stories, etc.

Thx guyz.

What I was digging on the ipod today

(HD) LCD Soundsystem - 45:33 pt 2 / Sound of Silver - Madison Square Garden - New York, NY - 4.2.11 - YouTube

I really, truly love 45:33. Shame On You is stellar and most of the rest is fucking great too. plus Reggie Watts.

Signs you're a nerd: you're frothing at the mouth at the prospect of seeing Richard Dawkins go head-to-head in a debate with the highest-ranking religious guy in your country (Cardinal George Pell) on live TV in a week's time.

Has anyone heard the debut from Alabama Shakes? It's streaming on NPR.

First Listen: Alabama Shakes, 'Boys And Girls' : NPR

Though I don't really listen to blues rock, the songs are strong enough and different enough from each other that it's an enjoyable listen. The only thing I'm having trouble getting past is the singer's voice, especially in the slower moments. Anyone else heard it yet?

Meats I ate from the top of a tree tonight (no lie, we went to a place that had seated areas built into trees):

Impala
Kudu
Ostrich
Springbok

Info I have to share about music:

None

u2popmofo,

are you going to pick up the new Lotus Plaza that comes out this week? i need more people to discuss it with and i'm not willing to rejoin atease to do so. :angry:

I'm in South Africa, but I'll buy it when I get back so you get off my case about it. :wink:

I'm just glad I didn't have to eat cat food with those District 9 aliens.

Has anyone heard the debut from Alabama Shakes? It's streaming on NPR.

First Listen: Alabama Shakes, 'Boys And Girls' : NPR

Though I don't really listen to blues rock, the songs are strong enough and different enough from each other that it's an enjoyable listen. The only thing I'm having trouble getting past is the singer's voice, especially in the slower moments. Anyone else heard it yet?

I dig it. I'm a sucker for bluesy rock though. I can see where the lead singers voice can grate, but I thought it was interesting.

:lmao: You made the Edge cry.

PS. The Hive would have kicked ass on this.

Back
Top Bottom