Random Music Talk LIII: Even more fun than the last thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tonight, instead of going out drinking, I think I'll stay in and listen to my Bitches Brew vinyl. I'm sure my friends will understand when I say "well iYup would approve".

Serious question: how long does it take for music to get stuck in your head? I know it varies with each song, but I frequently get frustrated when I listen to albums for the first time, and really like some of the songs, but once the album is over, I can't remember any of it. Like I quite enjoyed Pretzel Logic, but the only track I can recall without listening to it is Rikki Don't Lose That Number. I know I quite liked Staircase and The Daily Mail, but I can't remember how either go.

Obviously it has a lot to do with how often you come back to the songs/albums, and perhaps it means that I don't like them as much as I think I do. I find it frustrating, because it means there's only a handful of albums that I hear each year that I end up playing with any regularity because even though I might have quite liked an album, I don't go back to it because I can't remember how the songs go. LM would say keep trying, but then it could cross a line where listening to music goes from being a hobby I love to a chore done to boost my Random Music credibility, which as you all know, I couldn't care less about.

#FridayNightBoredom #TimeForAnotherDrink #BitchesBrew

LM would say keep trying, but then it could cross a line where listening to music goes from being a hobby I love to a chore done to boost my Random Music credibility, which as you all know, I couldn't care less about.

Honest question: do you think I enjoy music? Anyone can jump in on this (hurrrr Lance's mom would say that).

To answer your question, my suggestion is to slip those albums you have a dubious opinion on into your everyday routine, in those moments when you want to have music going but don't know what to listen to. Doesn't take away from the time you would typically spend listening to music you adore, since you would have just wasted time thinking through the whole process anyway (silence is a boring album IMO, maybe a 5.4 or so), and you'll find that music more easily endears itself to you when you're bored and need some company. Then, when you give it a sirius listen some time down the road, you'll find you're familiar with the songs and have a better time with it. Or you'll discover that you know all the songs and it's still terrible. All variables have been removed at this point and it probably will never work. Bin it.

Basically, my favorite albums got me going when I was happy, sad, scared, pissed off, completely idle and so on. I didn't limit them to in-the-dark-headphone-omg-I'm-going-to-love-this-dammit listens.

I think you enjoy it immensely, because you even seem to get a kick out of albums you feel indifferent about or even outright dislike.

I will try that. I do find in spite of all the music on my ipod many days I can't pick one album to listen to.

I think your last point is a good one. I've got albums I've had for ages that I still haven't listened to because it hasn't seemed like the right time, which is fucking ridiculous.

Sorry, I just get offended when I'm pinned as being That Guy. You know the Guy. The Guy who responds to a post of "oh fucking hell this was so fucking horrible my testes/ovaries shrank in terror why would anyone ever listen to something this shitty" with "I don't think you tried hard enough, pussy. Get back in there."

Everybody hates That Guy, including myself.

Frank Ocean Vs. the Eagles: The Plot Thickens | News | Pitchfork

In a small way, I hope he gets sued. American Wedding was horrendous.

See, I think anyone who causes me physical pain with a song as shitty as American Wedding should be sued. It's only fair. But I also don't want the Eagles to make a cent. Even a red cent. This is tough. I'm tempted to say everyone involved should be drawn and quartered, but that might be a bit strong, especially since Frank Ocean and Don Henley have a few good songs each.

there's no doubt you like music. you could write an essay about me noodling retardedly on a piano :wink:

regarding trying to like music, i find there's a limit. eventually i have to accept that something just won't do it for me. it might jump into the rotation every now and then, but if i'm indifferent, time will either do it or not. i can't force it. it's like that band that we daren't mention. i didn't like pop for years, then one day it came up, and boom.

i also won't overlisten to stuff i like, because i don't want to start to pick holes in it. see also: atm machine discussion in the hellhole.

For you, this has absolutely got to be the place to start re: Beefheart:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiny_Beast_(Bat_Chain_Puller)

It's the closest thing to Steely Dan while also being Captain Beefheart. It has a lot of Zappa going on too. Great record. Please for the love of God do not start with Trout Mask Replica unless you never want to hear anything else the man has done. But please do listen to it after this one, and maybe Safe as Milk. Take a couple dozen ounces of shots while you're at it. My all-time favorite Christgau quote:

"Very great played at high volume when you're feeling shitty, because you'll never feel as shitty as this record."

Shit, this is as good as these songs are ever going to get. Do what you will. I recommend placing it at the top.

Sorry, I just get offended when I'm pinned as being That Guy. You know the Guy. The Guy who responds to a post of "oh fucking hell this was so fucking horrible my testes/ovaries shrank in terror why would anyone ever listen to something this shitty" with "I don't think you tried hard enough, pussy. Get back in there."

Everybody hates That Guy, including myself.

I think that there is a sad misconception on these forums that analyzing and enjoying music are incompatible. I'm totally with you in the sense that thinking about the complexities of songs, albums, and artists' careers is not a "chore," but rather another dimension to the music as a whole. The only danger is in becoming overly-critical to the point that one assumes that one will hate everything that is released - I don't think that is true of anyone in Random, but I can think of a few B&C posters who fit the bill.

The last few times Ive been to my favourite used cd shop downtown have been a bust so it looks like last night was karmic pay back, I got:

Inni by Sigur Ros (2 cds + dvd)
Veckatimest by THE GRIZZ!
Build A Rocket Boys by Elbow
Beach House by Beach House
Devotion by Beach House
Teen Dream by Beach House

All for $60, thank you Jeebus.

The last few times Ive been to my favourite used cd shop downtown have been a bust so it looks like last night was karmic pay back, I got:

Inni by Sigur Ros (2 cds + dvd)
Veckatimest by THE GRIZZ!
Build A Rocket Boys by Elbow
Beach House by Beach House
Devotion by Beach House
Teen Dream by Beach House

All for $60, thank you Jeebus.

Where'd you go?

Cool :up: I'm right around the corner. I'm pissed that they had to move out of the old place to make room for Dollarama.

Sonic Boom at Bloor and Bathurst :up:

Guile%27s_Sonic_Boom.gif

Is a Jack Nicholson Party anything like a Lemon Party?

I don't remember what that is, but I do remember it being depraved.

I'd google it but don't want it going into my new search history.

This also reminds me of LANCEMOM, one of my favorite Cockropa songs.

"Midnight...is when her work begins..."

Back
Top Bottom