Random Music Talk CXXXI: Interference Finally Gets Its Revenge on Cobbler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Congratulations, Mikal! That's very cool about your kids playing. An awesome memory for sure.

I was listening to That's Where You're Wrong by Arctic Monkeys this morning, and because I typed in 'thats' That's the Way by Led Zeppelin came up. What a gorgeous song.

Visiting a friend in Boston this weekend and we're going to the Arctic Monkeys show at TD Garden on Sunday. Very excited, will be my 5th time seeing Arctic Monkeys but first time since the Suck it and See era. Didn't catch them on either the AM or Tranquility Base tours. My first two times seeing them were in smaller theaters in Chicago on their first two times visiting the states. Feel pretty lucky to have seen them way back then.

And doubly excited because I've never been to Boston before. Will be nice to cross it off the list. Gonna probably try to do some sightseeing/touristy stuff the day after the concert. Anybody got any recommendations? I know a few of our regular posters here are familiar with the area.

Hewson could probably answer better since he's closer, but there's the usual list of things like Faneuil Hall, Quincy Market, North End, Aquarium, Museum of Fine Arts, Museum of Science, Freedom Trail, etc.

Too bad the Sox are in KC this weekend though.

Hewson could probably answer better since he's closer, but there's the usual list of things like Faneuil Hall, Quincy Market, North End, Aquarium, Museum of Fine Arts, Museum of Science, Freedom Trail, etc.

Could do the Fenway Park tour if he's interested.

Weather is picture perfect this weekend.
A whale watch or harbor boat tour would be a good take.

Also GAF are you strictly in the city with no car access or do you have wheels and want to see anything outside of the city?

But I think for GAF the most logical thing is hang around the campuses of BU, Northeastern, Simmons etc. All the co-eds are back. :lol:

RIP Jimmy Buffett.

Saw him once 20 years ago. It was quite the experience. A non-stop party. The tailgating was as much as an event as the show itself.

Never saw him, wasn't really my scene having quit drinking so long ago, but sad to hear of his passing. He built himself quite a life mainly off his live shows and rabid fanbase.

RIP.

Could do the Fenway Park tour if he's interested.

Weather is picture perfect this weekend.

A whale watch or harbor boat tour would be a good take.

Also GAF are you strictly in the city with no car access or do you have wheels and want to see anything outside of the city?

But I think for GAF the most logical thing is hang around the campuses of BU, Northeastern, Simmons etc. All the co-eds are back. [emoji38]
Strictly in the city with no car. Hmmm, honestly a Fenway tour sounds great. I hadn't thought of that. Gonna look into it, thanks.

Yup I think we are going to do the Freedom Trail tomorrow afternoon, before the concert.

The fact that this is less embarrassing than every Shuttlecock “rock” single post-Bomb era is pretty damning for the latter.

Think about his much desperate sweat you hear on American Soul, for example, by comparison.

Odds that shuttlecock recruit Andrew Watt to produce?

animal-house-zero-point-zero.gif

The fact that this is less embarrassing than every Shuttlecock “rock” single post-Bomb era is pretty damning for the latter.

Think about his much desperate sweat you hear on American Soul, for example, by comparison.

Overall, the 2's output this millennium is much bigger and better, for fairly obvious and reasonable reasons, but yeah, this song is a perfect example of a Good rock song. Safe. Simple. Perfectly executed, skilfully done. U2 haven't made a good rock song since Vertigo. It's not their strong point anymore, but we know they actively avoid their strong suit these days anyway.

It's got a good riff, is well produced, but otherwise has nothing there that will ever prompt you to look for the song on a playlist because you really want to listen to it again. Not too dissimilar to something like "You're the best thing about me" but then with even less appeal.

for-you-bane.gif

There were songs on SOE that I still keep in rotation.. they just happen to not be any of the ones they pushed as singles.
Yep.

Lights Of Home {Strings version)
Summer Of Love
The Little Things That Give You Away
Land Lady
Blackout
Love Is Bigger Than Anything In It's Way

All quality and there's a nice little EP. Could probably add in Red Flag Day and Love Is All We Have Left, and there you have it. A nice little 9 song album.

I haven't visited the Blue Crack for a spell.

RIP Jimmy Buffet. :sad: Every time I drink a margarita, I think of him.

Thanks for posting the new Stones video, Headache. Love the video and the song.

Overall, the 2's output this millennium is much bigger and better, for fairly obvious and reasonable reasons, but yeah, this song is a perfect example of a Good rock song. Safe. Simple. Perfectly executed, skilfully done. U2 haven't made a good rock song since Vertigo. It's not their strong point anymore, but we know they actively avoid their strong suit these days anyway.

It's got a good riff, is well produced, but otherwise has nothing there that will ever prompt you to look for the song on a playlist because you really want to listen to it again. Not too dissimilar to something like "You're the best thing about me" but then with even less appeal.

Let me be clear: I don't think the Stones have made a truly great album since Some Girls, and there's nothing after Steel Wheels I ever need to hear again, disposable music that's far from vital. Whatever the criticisms are of U2, they actually continue to record material that seems to matter deeply *to them* at least. Far more impressive work in the back half of their career; U2 released Moment of Surrender nearly 30 years in, and The Troubles 35 years, there's no analog of quality on that level from the Stones.

But yeah, my point was that this new song is a pitch right down the middle that basically says Mick Still Has It. Who knows who's playing what on the rest of it, but it's nothing you can really take much fault with if heard on the radio. In short, they don't appear to be trying to hard, even with a young/modern producer.

Back
Top Bottom