Random Music Talk CXXI: Not this time, Crappy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
what bugs me is that he said he would never utter "n word" because of offensive connotation but he says he never likes SJWs because they're never logical and often try to silence others.....or is it that people are allowed to have seemingly conflicting opinions that don't perfectly align perfectly with the political spectrum? but I get it, Cobbler, your ideal falls completely into liberal, anti-racism and classless society and that's good, i guess because that's what i want, too

also, what do you guys think of people who made quite great artist with borderline insane personality? like Wagner?

Last edited:
Blade Runner 2049 sure has a memorable soundtrack. Not often I see a movie and think much about the music afterwards.

I'd never heard of Chelsea Wolfe until seeing her mentioned on here. Got a "free" Amazon Unlimited subscription recently so I have the opportunity to listen to it. That's a lot heavier than I was expecting. I mostly like it except when the cookie monster vocals come in. Makes me want to listen to Queens Of The Stone Age's Lullabies To Paralyze (my fav QOTSA) or early Starflyer 59.

Really looking forward to seeing what he has to say for himself.

Haven't watched it yet, but here it is:

EDIT: Watched it all. As I said in one of my first posts on this topic, the Fader piece was clearly written with a histrionic, editorializing slant and you've got to laugh at shit like them completely misrepresenting a roll of toilet paper as a "white noose." The aspect of this controversy that pissed me off the most was Fantano's response to being demonetized, specifically deeming creative work as not worth his time unless he's being paid, and that hasn't changed. The meme videos still aren't funny and he still does a lot of shit that grates on people for a laugh and maybe it's for the best if he finally distances himself from that.

I think enough ink has been spilled on this topic.

Last edited:
That article is basically bullshit, although I still think the content of that second channel isn't funny or interesting at all.

Not enough ink.

Happy to admit that overall, the article comes across as over the top. I see now that the toilet paper thing is actually a meme, so ordinary from the journalist there.

But Fantano's response was bullshit. All the good points made were completely cancelled out by his complete inability to admit that he's done a lot of stuff that's really fucking shit: that Sam Hyde interview is absolute dogshit, the first three minutes are him laughing at a racist accent and it's laughable that he defends himself in the video saying he challenges Hyde. A "hey man there's a lot of people listening to this" while he's half laughing is not a challenge. He's totally complicit. And then there's that fucking amazing atheist video, and all the punching down of feminists that he's not even remotely remorseful about.

A good response would have been "hey, there's a lot of mischaracterisations in this video which really aren't accurate which is upsetting, but it has made me more aware that some of things I've done and said in the past are a bit shitty and I need to work on that". I'd have been right on board with that and he'd almost come out of it looking better than Fader.

But there's none of that.

Fuck this arsehole.

he'd almost come out of it looking better than Fader.

He already comes out of this looking better than Fader. I had seen few positive responses to the article prior to the rebuttal and now that much of it has proven to be utter horseshit, the backlash has been severe. Their traffic will spike this month and tail off after that.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: using broad labels on people gets you attention, but it won't get you a worthwhile discussion. Suggesting that a man is a racist, misogynist alt-right sympathizer got Fader a lot of hits, but it would have been more nuanced and productive to list off all the ways Fantano has been an asshole over the years and let the portrait paint itself for the reader. As it stands, they wrote a hit piece that presents a pattern of behavior to think about, but very few worthwhile examples that stand on their own.

What this shows more than anything else is Fantano's level of self-importance has become worse than insufferable. As though those who traffic in memes are the new intelligentsia or some shit.

Last edited:
So I listened to that new Torres record some of you were talking about. I've never heard any of her other stuff, but I dig this new one. Might be top 3 so far for me this year, with Grizzly Bear and War On Drugs.

Bad Baby Pie and Concrete Ganesha are my current favorites.

I honestly thought Anthony Fantano was just some guy who filmed album reviews from his bedroom out of the goodness of his heart. But as I say, I obviously don't pay that close attention to people like him.

Well not exactly, as according to the last page of posts, he's more like an online content 'creator' who does stuff for a bunch of online 'channels' for money, and more money.

I always wondered who's alt that rabid Oasis fan was.

Edit: never mind, I see he was in the other thread too.

Does it still count as a dj set if nobody appears on stage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom