Random Music Talk CXV: Kill Em All

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
oh well this shows that I barely care about the nationality of the bands. or any background about the band, for that matter.

Some random notes:

1. I've been filling in some gaps in my Elvis Costello collection; though I already have a lot the guy is damn prolific. Really enjoying King Of America, My Aim Is True (yeah, I know), and Cruel Smile (the official outtakes album from When I Was Cruel). I still need to hear Goodbye Cruel World.

When it comes to EC, I find myself returning to Imperial Bedroom more than anything else, which isn't exactly a unique opinion, but it's just so damned good. Rightfully celebrated production from Beatles engineer Geoff Emerick, and a great batch of songs from the artist. It has too many tracks (common for EC) but thankfully the running times aren't long so it's not a big deal.

2. If Purple Rain and Sign O' The Times are locks for any consensus Prince Top 5 (and many would also throw in 1999), I really think The Gold Experience deserves heavy consideration. It may not have the diversity of its predecessor the "symbol" album aka Androgynous, or as many memorable singles as other notable albums, but it's very consistent and has an energy that is almost shocking. There's a LOT of rock guitar on there, and it's also a hell of a dance party as well. The band sounds great, particularly Michael Bland's drums (as usual). Pussy Control is a hilariously fun opener, with Prince showing he could play the hip hop game as well as anyone back in 1995. And then shit just blows up with Endorphinmachine. A great slow jam with Shhhhh, and more standouts like Now, Billy Jack Bitch, Eye Hate U, and the should-have-been-bigger The Most Beautiful Girl In The World. Final track Gold is transcendent with one his most memorable guitar solos.

I'm pretty sure the only Japanese band I could name would be the 5 6 7 8's who appeared in Kill Bill. And I'm just assuming they are Japanese, I don't actually know that for a fact.

some 80s metalheads might know Loudness. or if you're doom metal fan you might know Boris, the band who once worked with Sunn O))))

some 80s metalheads might know Loudness. or if you're doom metal fan you might know Boris, the band who once worked with Sunn O))))

Boris are great. But no mention of Mono? :tsk:

Also I saw Vampillia a couple of weeks ago. That was... unusual, memorable.

What.... what is babymetal?

A Japanese band I've not bothered to listen to solely on account of their terrible name.

Babymetal is this shit:

they're gonna perform on Colbert's late show, apparently. I basically can't approve of that garbage.

Fishmans are my favorite Japanese band, I think. I wish more people knew about them because the dream pop fans here in particular would love them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom