Random Music Talk CXIX: Donko Blocko

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I prefer Mogwai's more recent albums - Hardcore Will Never Die But You Will, and Rave Tapes - to their older stuff. But I've never been that into them, and I'm really not very interested in the "original" post-rock, the Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Mogwai, Tortoise, whatever stuff of the nineties. Ye olde post-rocke purists will disagree, but post-rock got great when Explosions in the Sky pointed it towards crescendocore and Isis pioneered post-metal.

the interesting thing is that new Tortoise sucks balls. it really does. I do prefer older post rock somehow, probably because I'm simultaneously into jazz fusion. Tortoise's first 4 albums are masterpiece, Mogwai's older stuff is cool, etc.

I'm starting to get into Isotope 217 but they only have 3 albums. god it's hard.

Last edited:
I like Rock Action and all that. haven't listened to Rave Tape because i hear all kinds of bad reviews about it

I liked Rave Tapes and listened to it a bunch when it came out, but can't say I ever went back to it afterwards. I don't exactly represent any kind of average Mogwai opinions though; the Les Revanants soundtrack and Mr Beast are my favorites of theirs.

IWB and Bonoz2012 (and HG if you're lurking), I've been told the Dreamcar album is quite good by a fellow AFI fan. I guess I should listen to it, but I'm not all that excited about it based on some of the pre-release songs I've heard. Have any of you listened to it yet?
Catch me up on what it is?

of all the corny bullshit "wtf" moments in paul mccartney's career, this pirates movie doesn't even approach the top 20.

well i learned something today. guess i need to listen to more blank banshee :up:
late replying to this, but blank banshee is awesome :up: saint pepsi is another artist i like a lot (not that he's obscure or anything), although the newer stuff with vocals is not the same.

i also know it's not really the same as vapourwave but i'm so stoked for the new com truise album. i'm gonna be seeing him this summer too. i've seen him live before and it was awesome.

I prefer Mogwai's more recent albums - Hardcore Will Never Die But You Will, and Rave Tapes - to their older stuff. But I've never been that into them, and I'm really not very interested in the "original" post-rock, the Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Mogwai, Tortoise, whatever stuff of the nineties. Ye olde post-rocke purists will disagree, but post-rock got great when Explosions in the Sky pointed it towards crescendocore and Isis pioneered post-metal.
What is crescendocore? I thought old Mogwai was way more crescendo-ey than new Mogwai.

What is crescendocore? I thought old Mogwai was way more crescendo-ey than new Mogwai.

"Crescendocore" is the derisive term used to refer to Explosions in the Sky and all the twinkly ripoffs they spawned. It's amazing how many music fans you find who think post-rock was only decent and original in the nineties, before the big shift in style of the 2000s. I honestly find that early stuff is often quite boring - too jazz-y for my tastes, and often mired in long, go-nowhere passages of bland ambient noodling.

I'm not the biggest EITS fan either. They've got some great songs but it is all a bit samey for me. I guess I prefer the ambient noodling from time to time. I'm a big GYBE fan.

Are we allowed to call Sigur Ros postrock now, BTW?

I'm not the biggest EITS fan either. They've got some great songs but it is all a bit samey for me. I guess I prefer the ambient noodling from time to time. I'm a big GYBE fan.

Are we allowed to call Sigur Ros postrock now, BTW?

I adore The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place, and like many people it's what got me into post-rock back in the day. But I rarely play much of the rest of EITS's output. They're a fucking incredible live act though, no matter what they choose to play.

And what else has anybody ever called Sigur Ros? Post-rock through and through.

EITS led to a spike in the popularity of post-rock, but they also doomed it by crafting a marketable formula for the genre. People shit on crescendocore is because of how formulaic it gets. Say what you will about the early days of post-rock, but Talk Talk, Do May Say Think, Dirty Three, Bark Psychosis, Tortoise, Godspeed and Sigur Ros all sound very different from one another. It wasn't until the mid-2000s that all the inferior EITS clones started popping up.

Last edited:
I adore The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place, and like many people it's what got me into post-rock back in the day. But I rarely play much of the rest of EITS's output. They're a fucking incredible live act though, no matter what they choose to play.

And what else has anybody ever called Sigur Ros? Post-rock through and through.
I don't remember who it was, but there was someone on here that once said they weren't. It might have been tongue in cheek though. They're easily my favorite post-rock band though.

EITS led to a spike in the popularity of post-rock, but they also doomed it by crafting a marketable formula for the genre. People shit on crescendocore is because of how formulaic it gets. Say what you will about the early days of post-rock, but Talk Talk, Do May Say Think, Dirty Three, Bark Psychosis, Tortoise, Godspeed and Sigur Ros all sound very different from one another. It wasn't until the mid-2000s that all the inferior EITS clones started popping up.

Ugh, Dirty Three. So revered; so boring. I saw them live once. Almost every song was a snooze except for a couple of heavier passages. But it was still a great set because Warren Ellis's speeches were hilarious.

Mick Turner is a shit guitarist though.

And who cares if crescendocore is formulaic if the formula is good? I don't.

Ugh, Dirty Three. So revered; so boring. I saw them live once. Almost every song was a snooze except for a couple of heavier passages. But it was still a great set because Warren Ellis's speeches were hilarious.

Mick Turner is a shit guitarist though.

And who cares if crescendocore is formulaic if the formula is good? I don't.

Dirty Three are a specific time, place and mood band for me. I have a certain reverence for them though because they tried to fuse folk and post-rock (like Songs: Ohia, I guess) and that's just madness. It's the sort of weird shit that used to happen in the genre. Post-rock and jazz, post-rock and shoegaze, post-rock and creepy gothic country, etc.

Now it's just a bunch of dudes playing guitars through delay pedals dialed to the nanosecond over some progressively loudening toms. Occasionally they'll really push the envelope and turn the gain up all the way. I mean, there's nothing wrong with that, nor having a formula, but I feel like post-rock has progressed so little that it's not likely to see any new entries to the canon any time soon.

Oh, it's safe to say post-rock is about to enter into that state of being epitomised by prog: nothing really new happening, with loads of retreads, but a devoted fanbase who'll hang off every release. A genre that once pushed the envelope of what is possible now has clear demarcations of what you can and can't do.

Also, funnily enough, for somebody who rates post-rock and shoegaze as two of his absolute favourite genres, very few of the shoegaze post-rock bands do much for me. Mainly because they're actually not very good at either, and they have a habit of being badly mixed bedroom projects.

well Anthony Fantano already declared that post rock is dead, so..........

jokes aside, yeah,various genres do go into stagnation but its somewhat natural so i guess i can't particularity blame them; like, these days, prog metal is mostly made of djent bands with hipsters and some jazz solos and/or straight up King Crimson copy, and jazz fusion after Weather Report is basically Weather Report copy. it just happens.

Back
Top Bottom