Random Music Talk CV: The Human Fund - Money for Leo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Late to the game here, but seriously: Fuck Beyoncé, fuck Kanye, and I guess fuck GAF too.

I've never liked the former, and her outraged fans are awful. Kanye has definitely gone too far this time, and I don't even give a shit about Beck anymore. The idea that Beyoncé lost due to racism 15 years after the (far more talented) Lauryn Hill won the top prize or 10 years after the (far more talented) OutKast did is laughable. And, you know, BEYONCÉ HAS ALREADY WON 20 GRAMMYS. Madonna never won AOTY either. Get in line.
It sucks because I generally want to be on the side of defending Kanye and there's just nothing to defend here. He's just being shitty.

It sucks because I generally want to be on the side of defending Kanye and there's just nothing to defend here. He's just being shitty.

Yeah, agreed. And my take is that Kanye needs to work on how he picks his spots. Taylor Swift and Beck really aren't the best targets for him.

Wow, the difference between Future Islands' debut and In Evening Air is insane.

Also, In Evening Air is really, really good. I am super pleased.

Late to the game here, but seriously: Fuck Beyoncé, fuck Kanye, and I guess fuck GAF too.

I've never liked the former, and her outraged fans are awful. Kanye has definitely gone too far this time, and I don't even give a shit about Beck anymore. The idea that Beyoncé lost due to racism 15 years after the (far more talented) Lauryn Hill won the top prize or 10 years after the (far more talented) OutKast did is laughable. And, you know, BEYONCÉ HAS ALREADY WON 20 GRAMMYS. Madonna never won AOTY either. Get in line.
Did he actually imply she lost due to racism though? I thought he only questioned the artistic integrity of the Grammys which is laughable in its own way of course but not quite so bad. I'm not American so I can't judge the general climate surrounding racism that well. What I'm trying to say is that I may be way off the mark here.

Are people really ultra-PC and morally outraged/crying racism/sexism/homophobia/islamophobia/and trigger happy at everything and anything in real life, or is that just the Internet? I live in a very un-PC little bubble of bad taste jokes that hit a lot of marks I would generally avoid a) via text where they come off wrong and b) in company of folks outside my usual environment, because I'm say things that come off pretty fucked up sometimes. But then again, so do everyone else I know in real life...there's generally offensive though, and then there's holy fuck lets start a twitter war. And I don't know were the on and offline lines are anymore. If I say "mother nature is a cunt-bag whore if we get more snow on Thursday like we're supposed to," is that a case of OMG the c word die in a fire because you're repressing women, or is it stupid silly 13 year old making up your own curses because WTF is a cunt bag whore, anyway?

Monty Python's SPAMALOT
Weekend Spectaculars - Friday 2
All-star cast to be announced

^^ I'll have to keep an eye out for who ends up in the cast. I was supposed to go to the original premiere back in Chicago years and years ago, when David Hyde Pierce and Tim Curry were in the cast. I never did end up seeing the thing at all, after my mom had to cancel our trip to see it. Depending on the cast, I might make the journey.

Also, I'll try very hard to be at the B-52s/Furs show. And Empire of the Sun AND St. Lucia? :love:. I'm also going to take that as a sign of when to expect St. Lucia's new album to be out by.

I didn't realize how long it had been since I last heard Morning Phase, but I just gave it another listen. It really is a very good album, but it's first half definitely outshines the second, outside of the closer.

Are people really ultra-PC and morally outraged/crying racism/sexism/homophobia/islamophobia/and trigger happy at everything and anything in real life, or is that just the Internet? I live in a very un-PC little bubble of bad taste jokes that hit a lot of marks I would generally avoid a) via text where they come off wrong and b) in company of folks outside my usual environment, because I'm say things that come off pretty fucked up sometimes. But then again, so do everyone else I know in real life...there's generally offensive though, and then there's holy fuck lets start a twitter war. And I don't know were the on and offline lines are anymore. If I say "mother nature is a cunt-bag whore if we get more snow on Thursday like we're supposed to," is that a case of OMG the c word die in a fire because you're repressing women, or is it stupid silly 13 year old making up your own curses because WTF is a cunt bag whore, anyway?

I'd say that for a lot of people, especially in those PC circles, there's very little distinction between real life and the internet, so yeah. I made a joke that used leukemia as the punchline recently, and one person there exploded at me because I had the gall to use the word leukemia in a humourous context, and that I was obviously exploiting the suffering of children in doing so.

I didn't realize how long it had been since I last heard Morning Phase, but I just gave it another listen. It really is a very good album, but it's first half definitely outshines the second, outside of the closer.

I disagree, in that I would argue the middle is the best part of the album. Blue Moon, Unforgiven, Wave and Blackbird Chain are all excellent.

Has anyone ever owned a Mac Mini? I was thinking about getting one and hooking it up to my tv to serve as both a pc and entertainment center.
i bought one when they first came out.

Well, this has changed my life.
those shortcuts saved my life when i had to start writing long papers entirely in german. it's one thing when you're casually talking on fb and use an e instead of an umlaut (e.g. ue instead of ü), but in a paper it's a no-no.

(oh and danny, i echo what ashley said, i definitely feel bad for all the stress you got piled on you in a short amount of time, at least a lot of it seems short term. sorry you had to miss your appointment, that's the worst. would you be able to at least cut back on seeing gigs a little, just prioritising, until you've managed to save a bit?)

omg. it's not even good vodka! (i mean, it's not bad, i just mean it's not the best ever or anything)

I'd say that for a lot of people, especially in those PC circles, there's very little distinction between real life and the internet, so yeah. I made a joke that used leukemia as the punchline recently, and one person there exploded at me because I had the gall to use the word leukemia in a humourous context, and that I was obviously exploiting the suffering of children in doing so.

I realized how stupid that post of mine was when I remembered when I was in high school they cancelled plans to do west side story as the school musical when people complained that it was racist (because "it portrays Puerto Ricans as gang members," someone even added that whole fiasco to the Wikipedia page for Amherst, MA).

I probably won't cut back on seeing gigs. I don't go to that many anyway, it's just that when I do go they're expensive. I am cutting back on alcohol and spending when I go out to places. Spoon tonight, won't be drinking.

Smirnoff is good vodka I'd say. There's three or four brands I can think of off the top of my head that are much worse that are sold here. That said I use vodka as a mixer to get pissed, I don't drink it or have it around the house or anything.

I realized how stupid that post of mine was when I remembered when I was in high school they cancelled plans to do west side story as the school musical when people complained that it was racist (because "it portrays Puerto Ricans as gang members," someone even added that whole fiasco to the Wikipedia page for Amherst, MA).
Amherst is the east coast capital of political correctness.

I am the dinosaur of meme users, I realize, but that is another one that will never stop making me laugh.

That thread is a cesspool for a number of reasons, but ultimately the biggest joke of them all night be the comparison between Kanye and Bono. I mentioned it out loud to a coworker who doesn't like U2 and he laughed. He was like, "Bono's got a big head, but there's a big difference." Sometimes there's a tendency on this board to go so far in proving that people mindlessly defend U2 or hate other musicians that it flips the other direction and U2's own fans seem to get unfairly mean to them.

Either way, ultimately doesn't matter, but I wanted to share that thought, but didn't feel like joining that particular conversation.

I probably won't cut back on seeing gigs. I don't go to that many anyway, it's just that when I do go they're expensive. I am cutting back on alcohol and spending when I go out to places. Spoon tonight, won't be drinking.

Smirnoff is good vodka I'd say. There's three or four brands I can think of off the top of my head that are much worse that are sold here. That said I use vodka as a mixer to get pissed, I don't drink it or have it around the house or anything.

I had to cut back on alcohol because of weight gain. I gained a lot of weight and my tolerance was really really building up. I could down two bottles of wine in one night and feel a little hungover the next day, but not horrible. That kind of worried me.

I am the dinosaur of meme users, I realize, but that is another one that will never stop making me laugh.

That thread is a cesspool for a number of reasons, but ultimately the biggest joke of them all night be the comparison between Kanye and Bono. I mentioned it out loud to a coworker who doesn't like U2 and he laughed. He was like, "Bono's got a big head, but there's a big difference." Sometimes there's a tendency on this board to go so far in proving that people mindlessly defend U2 or hate other musicians that it flips the other direction and U2's own fans seem to get unfairly mean to them.

Either way, ultimately doesn't matter, but I wanted to share that thought, but didn't feel like joining that particular conversation.

Bono "elevates" other artists and doesn't take any down, at least publicly.

I had to cut back on alcohol because of weight gain. I gained a lot of weight and my tolerance was really really building up. I could down two bottles of wine in one night and feel a little hungover the next day, but not horrible. That kind of worried me.
That's interesting, my hangovers have worsened with age. Though I've gone from drinking five nights a week to two or three so I suppose maybe that has something to do with it.

I'm a little out of shape, but if I regularly worked out I'd be fine. I really need to start doing that again.

I can't drink much these days because of the Lexapro I'm on. More than one glass of scotch, rum or whatever and I feel like falling asleep. Maybe two beers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom