Random Music Talk CII: Brazilian Style, the longer it takes, the closer it gets.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I run into Bono at a bar, we're both drunker than hell:

But Bono, is there really an end to love?

Fuck yes there is, son.

Here's hoping Edge has a lead vocal on one of the two additional tracks coming, or maybe a lead vocal on one of the tracks off SONGS OF EXPERIENCE.

What's the over/under on GAF being currently:

1. unconscious
2. with vomit residue on lip/facial hair
3. in a holding cell
4. sporting a black eye
5. missing a tooth
6. slapped by uninterested/insulted woman

Yeah that's my vote. You can picture all of those things happening from a single incident.

What's the over/under on GAF being currently:

1. unconscious
2. with vomit residue on lip/facial hair
3. in a holding cell
4. sporting a black eye
5. missing a tooth
6. slapped by uninterested/insulted woman

That's just a normal Saturday night, last night being his birthday you'd have to add a couple like:

7. at the emergency room
8. attempting to break in to US Cellular field at 2AM
9. in a tattoo parlor getting Taylor Lautner's face tattooed on his ass when the artist misunderstood his slurred request for a Taylor Swift tattoo.

thought this was a really interesting read, on how female artists' voices (much like their looks) are criticised far more heavily than male artists

Radical Strain – The New Inquiry

Interesting article. It does seem that Pitchfork especially treats a lot of music from female artists as a reaction to some element of femininity; I remember the FKA Twigs article being heavy on that. I.e. they cast feminine concerns on the artist regardless of the subject matter of the music.

I wonder what this author thinks about some of the more confrontational female-led music out there, though, like Savages or EMA. There's also a counterexample to the importance affixed to a traditionally "beautiful" female voice in all the praise afforded to Joanna Newsome. I will say that arguably my favorite female vocalist is one who doesn't align at all with a traditional female voice: Victoria Legrand.

I genuinely thought the lead singer of Beach House was male until I posted something to that effect here and was immediately torn to shreds by peef, LMP, imps, et al. Rightly so, too. Her voice fits the music so well.

I think the author went a bit over the top when talking about male artists' voices though. Like I cannot fucking stand Neutral Milk Hotel because I hated Jeff Magnum's vocals so much.

I genuinely thought the lead singer of Beach House was male until I posted something to that effect here and was immediately torn to shreds by peef, LMP, imps, et al. Rightly so, too. Her voice fits the music so well.

I think the author went a bit over the top when talking about male artists' voices though. Like I cannot fucking stand Neutral Milk Hotel because I hated Jeff Magnum's vocals so much.

Probably about how I feel regarding the singer in Alt-J.

Though since making that comment I've come around to it a bit. It's at the bottom of the pile of songs Bono's written on the topic, but there's still some genuinely affecting lines buried beneath the sheen of the pop production. With a better vocal melody and no Tedder it could work a lot better. We'll see how it goes live.

2_91467175_3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom