Random Movie Talk Twelve (no, not that horrid Schumacher movie)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Random comment, completely not brought on by the discussion earlier in this thread, if you believe it, but anyways:

I don't know if there is any other movie I have so frequently found myself wishing to watch/coming back to than Blade Runner. I don't even know if I like the movie, I don't know if liking is the right sentiment. I'm completely transfixed by it though. Whenever I see it on my shelf, or notice it on a movie channel, I do very much feel compelled to watch it. I'm also pretty sure Rutger Hauer's monologue at the end is possibly my favorite scene of all time.

Anyways, just a random thing.

Random comment, completely not brought on by the discussion earlier in this thread, if you believe it, but anyways:

I don't know if there is any other movie I have so frequently found myself wishing to watch/coming back to than Blade Runner. I don't even know if I like the movie, I don't know if liking is the right sentiment. I'm completely transfixed by it though. Whenever I see it on my shelf, or notice it on a movie channel, I do very much feel compelled to watch it. I'm also pretty sure Rutger Hauer's monologue at the end is possibly my favorite scene of all time.

Anyways, just a random thing.

I went through a similar phase a few years back. Not a bad thing.

I was going to watch it again just now, but Travis came back from his walk sooner than I expected. I got far enough in to realize that I've never seen the theatrical cut before though. What's up with that voice over?

I fast forwarded to watch the last 20 minutes, and the ending...the voice over, all of it...

um...what's the general consensus on the theatrical version anyways?

Well thank you Netflix for letting me know to take the extra few seconds to throw my DVD in from now on.

My God, I hadn't seen this yet, had it already been posted in here?

Posting the link because I know Interference is going to shrink it:
http://geekdraw.com/storage/blog-images/avengers-movie-poster-panorama-geekdraw-july-2011.png

avengers-movie-poster-panorama-geekdraw-july-2011.png

Specifically in love with the Iron Man one:

ironman_510.jpg

Sean Penn vs. Terrence Malick : The New Yorker

I didn’t at all find on the screen the emotion of the script, which is the most magnificent one that I’ve ever read. A clearer and more conventional narrative would have helped the film without, in my opinion, lessening its beauty and its impact. Frankly, I’m still trying to figure out what I’m doing there and what I was supposed to add in that context! What’s more, Terry himself never managed to explain it to me clearly.

I partially agree with Penn, in that his role seems a little short-changed, and I think the film could benefit from even just 5-10 min more of his presence, preferrably with some more dialogue.

But even without this, the film is still powerful, emotional, brilliant, etc.

Sitting through the film twice. Penn is more right than wrong.

Grading the film as a whole, it does not hold together as a complete work.

Some parts are very strong, the whole Brad Pitt, 1950s family drama is very good.

Got bored and watched that Cher/Christina Aguilera movie "Burlesque". It was horrible, but I loved it.

This movie is currently filming on the University of Washington campus and a few blocks away from my house. Based on the title and location, I guessed it was going to be another American Pie-type comedy and IMDB's description does not disappoint:

The night before his big medical school exam, a promising student celebrates his 21st birthday with his two best friends.

Starring "Asian Frat Bro" from Glory Daze, aka Eric, "the first boy to greet Bella on her first day at Forks High School", aka Justin Chon. Claire, from How I Met Your Mother, and, uh, this guy.

Can't wait.

Yeah if you have even a passing interest in docs or sports films go see SENNA.

No talking heads, no sit-down interviews, just raw, archival footage edited together with occasional voice-overs gives it a propulsive momentum. If a fictional film came out with this plot and this lead character, you'd dismiss it as unbelievable.

I watch a lot of documentaries and by 30 minutes into this one, my brain stopped treating this as reality and was just engrossed in the plot. What makes it even more heartbreaking is the crushing feeling of dread that sets in as the film makes its way to its inevitable conclusion (if you know the events).

Fantastic.

Senna (2011) Trailer - No Fear No Limits No Equal - Formula 1 Documentary HD - YouTube

SENNA International Trailer - YouTube

^ One of the best films Ive seen this year, and im 1. no formula 1 fan, 2. no motorracing fan. Its a film that tries to get a window as to what is going into a person's mind 1. without acting and 2. through 100% archival footage

I saw it last night, it is very good.
Amazing that they could make a narrative film from only found footage, video, interviews, etc. no reenactments.

Yeah, talking heads and re-creations have their place, but that kind of documentary narrative is pretty incredible.

Man on Wire had re-enactments. And it was still great.

This film, they had some on board video, that puts one in the races with the driver's POV. To have that actual footage was really something.

As far as I can tell the standalone disc is out of print in R1, the Redux blu-ray is more than sufficient, I'm just getting a little OCD completionist haha.

AoT actually isn't included with the Kino set. You could check some Asian import sights or the like. I know it's available on torrents.

Yeah, I'm probably going to look for an import if I can't find it at some of my favorite second hand shops in the near future.

Hey, does anybody know what the fuck happened to Bridget Fonda?

I always liked her, IMDB tells me she hasn't been in a movie in nearly 10 years. WTF.

Of course, the answer is most likely that she just quit the business and wanted to have a quiet life. But, still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom