Random Movie Talk Twelve (no, not that horrid Schumacher movie)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We're talking about scope and size and ambition? Since when? There are always going to be bigger and more technologically daring spectacles on the horizon, but really Avatar's ideas as a film were never particularly interesting or new. And that's not why I liked it so much anyway. Never mind Cameron's general lack of style. What I'm seeing from Prometheus has me excited again about the sort of work that lead to films like Alien and Blade Runner, what seems to be a film with a wonderful excess of design, fascinating ideas, tones, and yeah, big crazy awesome spectacle as well.

While the idea of virtual reality and inhabiting someone else's body is certainly not a brand new idea (nor are the aliens living symbiotically/telepathically with the flora and fauna), you can't possibly think that Avatar's story, concept, and world were stale. Really?

I'm far from the biggest Cameron fan here but let's give credit where credit is due.

The world was new, the story was not. It's all about a man with a mission going native, how have we not seen that? I won't even bother naming the two most obvious examples because they're so often brought up by people slagging off Avatar that they're practically a tagline for the film by now.

Not stale, no. But not new either. Or I suppose it's more that they aren't really explored in any sort of inspired way aside from a few moments late in the film. As for the design of the world, there's little getting around that it's merely "oversized jungle planet with Earth animals grafted on extra limbs."

I bought a ticket for the 3:40 showing of Hunger Games at a theater that says it has the largest screen west of the Mississippi.

I have medium to low expectations.
But, I do expect this to be in the top 3 highest grossing films of 2012.

Because of how much fun I had with Thor a couple weeks back (I thought it was totally charming and exciting and funny and stupid and awesome) and because The Avengers looks like it'll be in the same vein, I've been in the mood to check out some of the recent Marvel superhero movies that I skipped.

I rented both Iron Man 2 and Captain America. And the tentative plan is to watch them both tonight. Wish me luck.

Captain America's a great popcorn flick that gets to marry together modern superhero stories with Indiana Jones/Sky Captain style. I'm disappointed future installments will take place in today's day and age though. And Thor's my favorite of the Avengers set up films.

Has anyone seen that Red Tails movie about the Tuskegee airmen? I threw it on in the plane this weekend, and had to hit stop about 40 seconds into the movie when the second line was something like, "Nazis! Let's get 'em!"

GnOo3.jpg

EW-cover-lg.jpg

That Catwoman costume design isn't very feline or flattering. The suit and ears make her look more like a huge mouse than, you know, a cat. But then Lindy Hemming always has been a hack. Her approach to costume design is 'Will this do?' I get the feeling Nolan only chose to work with her because of the Bond connection. The man's obsessed.

Also, fish scales on the suit. Awful. But on the plus side, it's not as bad as Robo-bat.

There are no words. I'm struggling to come up with the words.

At this point (and mind you I'm still on the "I just saw it!" fresh on the brain, initial reaction high), this is one of my favorite movie theater experiences ever. And I've had plenty. It's an instant favorite. This is not one to be forgotten. So much fun. Fucking phenomenal. I'll stop talking for my sanity and yours but seriously:

Go see The Cabin In The Woods.

As soon as possible.

I'm seeing it next weekend. I didn't hear about it until about a week ago, and didn't want to see it until I started hearing about it.

I rarely see horror flicks in the theaters (I'm never scared by films when I see them with other people), but this one I might just spring for.

I'm seeing it next weekend. I didn't hear about it until about a week ago, and didn't want to see it until I started hearing about it.

I'm kind of the opposite, it's been in the can & hyped for so long I think I need to keep my distance for awhile to prevent the hype from killing my enjoyment. But, then I'm so :hyper: that I'll probably go see it this weekend :lol:.

There are no words. I'm struggling to come up with the words.

At this point (and mind you I'm still on the "I just saw it!" fresh on the brain, initial reaction high), this is one of my favorite movie theater experiences ever. And I've had plenty. It's an instant favorite. This is not one to be forgotten. So much fun. Fucking phenomenal. I'll stop talking for my sanity and yours but seriously:

As soon as possible.

Last night I sat through Lockout and Three Stooges

tonight I was going for a couple of the art house films

but with all this excitement, I think I will see Cabin in the Woods

Lockout, not that good, about a C for me, I liked it just ok

Three Stooges - B , I kind of thought it might be terrible, it was better than I thought, lots of families and kids in attendance,
Fairley Brothers do a PSA at the end, show the kids the sledge hammer is really rubber, don't do this at home, slow motion finger eye poke, the fingers are on the eyebrows, please don't really poke your little brother's eyes out.

LemonMelon said:
I rarely see horror flicks in the theaters (I'm never scared by films when I see them with other people), but this one I might just spring for.

I'm impulsive, so I went.

Cabin In The Woods really is that good. Funny, sad, creative, kinda scary (but not really), and ultimately a cut above. Go.

As soon as possible.

Yep, definitely took you up on this, and was not disappointed at all (ok, I had little complaints here and there, but you know what I mean). Definitely a must see in theaters. That was the largest audience I've sat with at a movie since I don't know when (save for when I was dragged to Breaking Dawn on opening day). I love when you get an entertaining engaged interactive audience. Especially for the part when

Thor attempted to jump the gap. We ALL knew he was going to die, so it was both hilarious and sad when he hit the fall and fell into the chasm, and the audience really reacted awesomely.

ok, so I saw CITW, too.

a couple of hot coeds, a couple of buff dudes, throw in a stoner for comic relief
and bad things happen, we have seen this movie about 30 times before

or have we :shrug:

my advice - go and see it soon, don't read anything about it, or talk to anyone that has seen it, best to see it with as little fore knowledge as possible.

a solid B+ rating from me

Probably seeing this Monday. Then again, Damsels in Distress is also playing here, and I absolutely need to get to that before it leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom