Radiohead continued - Subterranean Homesick Aliens club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like it! I need to spend more time with the album as a whole, but I do think the singles are the strongest tunes. It's definitely has slow parts and the lyrics aren't great. I think it's an enjoyable release though and I look forward to hearing what else Ed can do in his solo work going forward.

My two favorite solo works from Radiohead members remain The Eraser from Thom and Weatherhouse from Phil.

Olympik is my favorite track. As has been mentioned here, it has a very 90's U2 vibe which I love

Thom played a new song called "Plasticine Figures" on Fallon and I liked it a lot.

Also, I will never not think of Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds when I see or hear the word plasticine.

i think i was born in the very last year of the generation where the words "plasticine" and "mucilage" actually meant something to kids.

This is likely the best cover of Paranoid Android you'll ever hear. From two dudes in a Utah pizzeria. Wish I could sing like him.

Happy 20th, Kid A. I remember rushing to my local Borders (RIP) to buy you after class (RIP being young). The girl working the register told me people had been camping out in front of the store to buy the album when they opened that morning (RIP physical media). I remember rushing home, throwing you on my 5 disc CD player (RIP old technology), and being disappointed in virtually every second of your run length because you sounded nothing like Bends or OK Computer (RIP guitarz). I believe I disliked everything other than Idioteque for at least 1 or 2 years after (RIP bad taste).

Man I feel old.

Happy birthday to my favorite album of this century.

Happy 20th, Kid A. I remember rushing to my local Borders (RIP) to buy you after class (RIP being young). The girl working the register told me people had been camping out in front of the store to buy the album when they opened that morning (RIP physical media). I remember rushing home, throwing you on my 5 disc CD player (RIP old technology), and being disappointed in virtually every second of your run length because you sounded nothing like Bends or OK Computer (RIP guitarz). I believe I disliked everything other than Idioteque for at least 1 or 2 years after (RIP bad taste).

:up: :up:

Wow I guess and Kid A and I share the same birthday. It was released on my 21st bday

Rasputin Records in Pleasant Hill, CA, for me. AFAIK, they are still there and still selling CDs. I do miss being young, though.

Kid A is incredible, and maybe the biggest pivot point of their career. There's RH before Kid A, and RH after Kid A.

It was a grower for me. I first got into RH in 2001, just as Amnesiac was coming out. But I started with OKC and The Bends, which I both loved right away, but Kid A took longer to click with me. I think I even warmed up to Amnesiac quicker because the production wasn't as cold.

I first grew to like it while still thinking it was depressing and that I needed to be in the right mood for it.

After that, I eventually grew to love it regardless of mood, and I think it's one of the most unique records I've heard. There's nothing quite like it. I don't find it depressing at all anymore. Just beautiful. I used to have trouble connecting with the human element in the record, because of the production, but I eventually grew to connect with it in a big way. The whole record for me now has the feeling of someone who has so much emotion inside of them but has struggled to express it and is now finally doing so. But maybe that's just me.

That was pretty much my experience too, namkcuR. The first Radiohead CD I bought was Amnesiac. I knew their hits but never followed them closely until them. But it took me a while not to think of Kid A/Amnesiac sound as depressing. I only came to love those albums in my mid-20s.

You know how Springsteen once described the start of Like a Rolling Stone as "that snare shot that sounded like somebody'd kicked open the door to your mind". That's how I feel about the opening notes of Everything In Its Right Place.

Kid A is the most influential album in my listening history. I borrowed it from the local library only knowing a few Radiohead songs that floated around alt radio (mainly Karma Police and High & Dry). Like others have mentioned, I was taken aback through the first listen. I don't even know why I returned to it, but on the second listen, I was intrigued. On the third, I loved it. It opened the door to so much stuff I would never have looked into otherwise. Idioteque was the first song to "click," which is odd given the presence of more conventional songs like Optimistic and How to Disappear.

I think it didn't click with me at first, and I heard it many, many years after it first came out (maybe 09 or something), and I can actually recall doing one of my classic "review after first listen" series of posts about it, and asking people if they could identify the only track that I really liked on first listen, someone guessed Optimistic, which was correct, as it's the most conventional song on there.

I pretty quickly came to adore the album from front to back, it is a masterpiece, though falls behind In Rainbows and OK Computer for me overall.

The time I fell in love with it I think was around 2010 or so. I distinctly remember being on a camping holiday with family, and the weather being pretty gloomy, wet and rainy... I remember listening to it as it rained lightly, and droplets of water grouped on leaves. It was the perfect accompaniment.

Other fond memories include being high as fuck on ecstasy at Melbourne's most iconic nightclub, and it getting to about 4am, and the DJ closing his set with a remix of Everything in its Right Place. I went absolutely nuts.

I also really like listening to Mild Und Leise by Paul Lansky, a 20-minute-long piece of computer music, which contains Idioteque's motif... it only appears once in the 20 minutes and they built a fantastic song around it.

My favourite two songs from Kid A however are Motion Picture Soundtrack and Kid A. Gorgeous tunes. Felt so grateful to hear Kid A in person when they last toured here... in 2012.

I actually haven't listened to it in a long time, I think I will rectify that today.

So I know it's not a big even-year anniversary or anything, but I felt compelled to write: In Rainbows is a teenager today, having been released thirteen years ago on October 10, 2007. They grow up so fast.

I will always remember the release that night. The pay-what-you-want thing was making all kinds of news, and Interference was at its peak. The album dropping was a big deal here and the whole place was literally up all night listening.

Most of you loved it immediately; it look a little longer for me. It wasn't what I was expecting after HTTT. But nonetheless, I did fall hard for Reckoner instantly, and that made me go back to the album quickly and frequently(just the fact that it was RH did that, but my love of Reckoner added to it) and it remains one of my very favorite RH tracks.

Needless to say, after a few weeks, the album starting growing on me in a big way, and continued to for months after that, and I now join you all in loving it.

It holds up incredibly well. It hasn't aged one bit. The band is known, not inaccurately, for making music that is often of a rather bleak and depressing nature. But In Rainbows is defined by a buoyant, breezy, almost bubbly(as in champagne, not gum) sound that pervades every track, and it makes even darker tracks like All I Need or Videotape sound, somehow, not so dark(hell, the former builds up to one of the band's great feel-good climaxes). It's remarkable. It's probably their warmest album, other than maybe The Bends.

Just as an aside - even though Jigsaw was the first single from the album, it still seems like one of their most underappreciated tracks. One of Thom's most thrilling vocal performances on record.

Anyway, just wanted to mark the thirteenth anniversary of an album that means a lot of to a lot of people here and has a place in B&C's history.

Forgot to reply to this^. It is an absolute masterpiece, a 10/10, by far my favourite Radiohead record. Weird Fishes is probably my second favourite song of all time behind Streets. It's fucked that a record can contain three songs as good as Weird Fishes, Reckoner and All I Need, and nearly every other song is pretty much a 10 as well. Faust Arp on its own isn't anything hugely special but it works great in context, a bit of a breath after a hectic first half. Jigsaw's my least favourite track and it's still terrific. The record means so much to me, and I just moved house, so don't have the energy required to go deep on it.

Whilst I was moving, I noticed the stellar OKNOTOK box set... and I can't fucking wrap my head around the fact there's been no 20th reissue of Kid A??? I get most of the material everyone knows about has been released, but it's iconic and I can't believe they haven't reissued it. Unless they're waiting for Amnesiac but that wouldn't make much sense, and the AB reissue came with Zooropa.

Weird Fishes, Reckoner, and All I Need also my favorites, though I would also throw House of Cards in there too. Jigsaw my least favorite as well, but still very good.

Any Kid A reissue should also come with Zooropa, so people are aware that Radiohead aren't the ones who invented 21st Century music.

Reckoner, All I Need, and Nude are my favorites from that album. It rests firmly in the middle of Radiohead for me. And I’m also surprised there was no reissue of Kid A.

Amnesiac and Hail To The Thief. What’s the consensus on these two? They are the two Radiohead albums I’ve spent the least time with, although There, There is one of my favorites.

Does anyone rank either of them higher than OKC, Kid A or In Rainbows?

Amnesiac for me is in the upper half of my personal Radiohead album list. It’s my 4th favorite of theirs. Hail To The Thief would have benefitted from being shorter. I think it’s fairly in the middle for me.

1 OK Computer
2 Kid A
3 The Bends
4 Amnesiac
5 In Rainbows
6 Hail To The Thief
7 Pablo Honey
8 A Moon Shaped Pool
9 The King Of Limbs

1 OK Computer
2 Kid A
3 The Bends
4 Amnesiac
5 In Rainbows
6 Hail To The Thief
7 Pablo Honey
8 A Moon Shaped Pool
9 The King Of Limbs

this is exactly the same as my list except i'd put in rainbows 3rd and have the next two move down a spot each.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom