RA D IOHE_AD IN/RAINBOWS" continuing discussion thread part V

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
AtomicBono said:

I think the review underrated the album a bit (though of course I agree with their analysis of All I Need),

Yes, I think they did, too, but I also thought the review was fair and reflected a lot of people's opinions. I disagree with some of what it said but at the same time feel the criticisms have merit.

Update on my roadtripping friend. He's back on the road again and ask me to report that he listened to it 12 times yesterday in his car. I'm getting worried. I think we've lost him. He's gone over the rainbow. :uhoh:

intedomine said:
True though, the b-sides from the Bends-era are better than any of the tunes on the album, with the exception of maybe Bones and the title-track.

hahahaha. WOW.

inmyplace13 said:
I'd never call The Bends a bad album, but in the scheme of their catalog, it doesn't do much for me either. I know I'm in the minority here, but the only Radiohead album I don't enjoy more than The Bends is, obviously, Pablo Honey.

I'm not saying there aren't great tunes on it. I love Planet Telex, High and Dry, and many others. I just think the album sounds dated. While every other one (Pablo Honey excluded) has aged exceptionally well, The Bends sounds like 1995 to me and I really can't get past it.

Yeah, I've never been overly impressed with The Bends either. I think Fake Plastic Trees is brilliance, but the rest of it is just "very good." I'll never understand why people are so enamored by it.

I'll never understand why people are so enamoured by the more electronic-oriented phase of RH's career, either. My entry point into their catalogue was The Bends, and I do adore Kid A and all that stuff, but I just haven't been hit head-on by the awesomeness of that period yet.

The new album is a nice balance though, and will probably help me slip into albums like OK Computer and Kid A more easily.

Radio-lube?

The Bends is awesome, but it isn't a patch on OK Computer. I prefer Kid A and In Rainbows to it as well. It's not because it's "dated" or whatever, but there are some clunkers on it, and the atmosphere of the record can't touch Kid A's.

I do think The Bends sounds very 90's, while everything that came after is basically timeless. However, the fact remains that the songs on it are fucking good. Just, Bullet Proof, Street Spirit, High and Dry, Fake Plastic Trees ... :drool: :drool: :drool:

so, I was walking back from the gym today, listening to All I Need, and literally right as the climax started, like the very fucking second, it suddenly started to rain and I looked over and there was a rainbow. Kind of amazing. I think someone else related a similar experience.

Canadiens1160 said:
I'll never understand why people are so enamoured by the more electronic-oriented phase of RH's career, either. My entry point into their catalogue was The Bends, and I do adore Kid A and all that stuff, but I just haven't been hit head-on by the awesomeness of that period yet.

The new album is a nice balance though, and will probably help me slip into albums like OK Computer and Kid A more easily.

Radio-lube?
Ha, ha.
I can't speak to the time period issue of "The Bends" because I still love Pulp's '90s stuff and late '80s early '90s U2 and The Cure, so I never find it out of place. I enjoyed "Street Spirit" off The Bends first in 1995, but, except for that track, "The Bends", "High and Dry" and "Fake Plastic Trees", which I all love, I find the rest quite dull nowadays; I actually lost interest within a few months of buying the album in 2003. Whereas I was pulled into buying Radiohead albums by "Hail to the Theif" and find "Kid A"/"Amnesiac" stuff more long-lasting and can listen to it more repeatedly in a way I get more easily turned off even OK Computer.

Anyway, there will be a tour in May of 2008:
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003660154

I found the news on www.ateaseweb.com. In case any Radiohead fans don't know it's the best site for Radiohead news. I actually found a link to it off Radiohead's official site, suggesting fans go there, among other places for news!

Last edited:
Muldfeld said:

Ha, ha.
I can't speak to the time period issue of "The Bends" because I still love Pulp's '90s stuff and late '80s early '90s U2 and The Cure, so I never find it out of place. I enjoyed "Street Spirit" off The Bends first in 1995, but, except for that track, "The Bends", "High and Dry" and "Fake Plastic Trees", which I all love, I find the rest quite dull nowadays; I actually lost interest within a few months of buying the album in 2003. Whereas I was pulled into buying Radiohead albums by "Hail to the Theif" and find "Kid A"/"Amnesiac" stuff more long-lasting and can listen to it more repeatedly in a way I get more easily turned off even OK Computer.

Anyway, there will be a tour in May of 2008:
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003660154

YEP looks like tour ! yeah baby!! :hyper: How many shows can I catch next year.. :D

U2Fanatic4ever said:

YEP looks like tour ! yeah baby!! :hyper: How many shows can I catch next year.. :D
Last year, I foolishly tried to limit myself on some stupid honor system to let other fans get seats, but if there are 2 dates in my city again next year, I'm getting a spot at both dates. Tons of fans go to, like, several shows, and the band doesn't seem to mind.

I'd ask fans to please make sure their friends actually want to go, if they buy up tickets for them. Don't just grab up as many as you can and then give them to bellweather fans or sell them because that's really unfair to other hardcore fans! It's why I couldn't see U2 in 2005. So the band's "buy only what you need" should still apply.

I just hope I can relax this time. Last time I wanted to connect with the band so badly I became frustrated by my inability to concentrate. I'll have to go on starving listening to Radiohead music, too. I was off Radiohead for a month before, but still had listened to too much and couldn't appreciate the freshness of many of the songs live. I also knew the bootlegs too damn well. Ruined it for myself. Anyone gonna fast on Radiohead as well?

Frontman Thom Yorke is anything but a fan of international treks and, in the past, the singer has raised concerns over the effects of touring on climate change.

Gotta love him for that. I filled out some kind of online form to determine how "green" I am, and because I am very conscious about conserving energy (use the right lightbulbs, keep the thermostat turned down, unplug things I'm not using, recycle, have lo-flo toilets, conserve water, etc., and now even have solar panels) I assumed I was quite above average in greenness. But because I fly a lot for business, that alone knocked me way down the ladder in green living. I was kind of upset about it--it was shocking, actually.

This album is really growing on me now! Loving the 1-2 punch of 15 Step and Bodysnatchers! Bodysnatchers sounds like Radiohead doing Pearl Jam. :drool:

I've never had such a turnaround on my feelings for song like I am with Reckoner.

For the first 3-4 days, it was easily my favorite song on the album, and then, for some reason, over the weekend, it just stopped doing it for me. I mean, it's still good but it just sounds flatter now. It's not knocking me out like 'oh my fucking god this song is incredible' the way it was. I keep listening to hoping the magic will come back but it isn't, at least not now.

I don't know what happened.

I've been really digging Hail to the Thief recently. Sit Down, Stand Up is completely sublime then rolls into a clusterfuck of electronica and raindrops.

The album itself is still a notch below The Bends, OK Computer, and Kid A, but better than I remembered it.

LemonMacPhisto said:
I've been really digging Hail to the Thief recently. Sit Down, Stand Up is completely sublime then rolls into a clusterfuck of electronica and raindrops.

The album itself is still a notch below The Bends, OK Computer, and Kid A, but better than I remembered it.

I also returned to it recently, and it does have several very strong tunes- especially "Sail to the Moon," "The Gloaming," "There There," and "Punchup," which I very much like even if most are lukewarm towards it. A reviewer on Amazon was quite astute to suggest that, had the album been released by any other band, it likely would have been endlessly applauded.

Muldfeld said:

:drool: yes. yes. yes. god I can't wait. I would like to skip the winter months and go straight to summer, please.

xavi - what exactly about All I Need is better live? it sounds about the same to me :scratch: I'm actually surprised they were able to capture the crescendo so well live since it's such a wonder in the studio. But I sure don't see how the studio version is lacking :shrug:

and i can't get over how sexy thom's voice is :drool: never thought i'd say that about him, but that song (and this whole album really) is proof he can sing pretty if he wants to :wink:

as for Hail...for some reason I've had There There in my head all day. I admit, it's a damn good song. And I adore the first half of Sit Down, Stand Up, but that THE RAINDROPS THE RAINDROPS THE RAINDROPS shit is dumb. No wonder people thought Radiohead had become a parody of themselves. Still, Hail is a solid album overall. I think I like it more than Amnesiac, which while certainly good, never did as much for me as it seems to for people here.

namkcuR said:
I've never had such a turnaround on my feelings for song like I am with Reckoner.

For the first 3-4 days, it was easily my favorite song on the album, and then, for some reason, over the weekend, it just stopped doing it for me. I mean, it's still good but it just sounds flatter now. It's not knocking me out like 'oh my fucking god this song is incredible' the way it was. I keep listening to hoping the magic will come back but it isn't, at least not now.

I don't know what happened.

What happened is that Yorke's vocal is slightly annoying, and the that the song really fails to build to anything. The strings right at the end as the song fases are SO good, but it's too little too late.

Zootlesque said:
Bodysnatchers sounds like Radiohead doing Pearl Jam. :drool:

Totally! Never thought of that before. A bit of surf-punk happening there. :up: I love the breakdown. :drool:

Canadiens1160 said:

I'm one of the few who think Kid A is actually their best album, but I don't think of it as "electronica" at all, for some reason. I know it is...but, to me, it's like Sigur Rós fused with jazz. The 'mood' of Kid A transcends any sort of standard electronica I've heard...so much so, that it's easily one of the greatest albums I've listened to.

AtomicBono said:
so, I was walking back from the gym today, listening to All I Need, and literally right as the climax started, like the very fucking second, it suddenly started to rain and I looked over and there was a rainbow. Kind of amazing. I think someone else related a similar experience.

Pretty cool! I saw one here this morning, on the way to work. I immediately thought of the album...Mother Nature is pushing the promotional material! :wink:

cdisantis83 said:

I also returned to it recently, and it does have several very strong tunes- especially "Sail to the Moon," "The Gloaming," "There There," and "Punchup," which I very much like even if most are lukewarm towards it. A reviewer on Amazon was quite astute to suggest that, had the album been released by any other band, it likely would have been endlessly applauded.

"There There" is one of the best songs they've ever recorded. "I Will" is also a sweet little tune, it segues pretty well into "All I Need" on a new Radiohead mix I just made actually.

AtomicBono said:

xavi - what exactly about All I Need is better live? it sounds about the same to me :scratch: I'm actually surprised they were able to capture the crescendo so well live since it's such a wonder in the studio. But I sure don't see how the studio version is lacking :shrug:

more Glockenspiel from Jonny :der:

and they recorded this nice chimes melodic noises which Jonny would play

you can hear it right at the beginning :D

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ad_2j2b5K3o

in fact its all throughout the song :mad:

AtomicBono said:

as for Hail...for some reason I've had There There in my head all day. I admit, it's a damn good song. And I adore the first half of Sit Down, Stand Up, but that THE RAINDROPS THE RAINDROPS THE RAINDROPS shit is dumb. No wonder people thought Radiohead had become a parody of themselves. Still, Hail is a solid album overall. I think I like it more than Amnesiac, which while certainly good, never did as much for me as it seems to for people here.

the rain drops pwn :mad:

as proof by this clip :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1ke7C_i-CY

skip to 3:30

the raindrops...
:drool:

xaviMF22 said:

the rain drops pwn :mad:

as proof by this clip :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1ke7C_i-CY

skip to 3:30

the raindrops...
:drool:

:lmao: I'm sorry, but to me that just proved how ridiculous it is.

Sit Down Stand Up to me is this: They had a good piano part and melody and didn't really know what to do with it. So they just sorta repeat it for awhile, then realize they should probably have it do something besides repeat, so they come up with some half-ass crown ending. THE RAINDROPS, THE RAINDROPS, THE RAINDROPS. very good thom. save that shit for The Eraser plz.

Sail to the Moon though. .. oh my god what a gorgeous song :drool: one of their best.

xaviMF22 said:

more Glockenspiel from Jonny :der:

and they recorded this nice chimes melodic noises which Jonny would play

you can hear it right at the beginning :D

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ad_2j2b5K3o

in fact its all throughout the song :mad:

I think that works well for the live version, but for the studio version it sounds better with more space, more stripped down. I love how fucking bare it is and the way elements are added as the song goes along before the big pay-off at the end...reminds me of another band I know... :wink:

why are you :mad: about it :huh: there is no need for :mad:. All I Need is the opposite of :mad:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom