RA D IOHE_AD IN/RAINBOWS" continuing discussion thread part V

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All I Need climax is indeed one of the most impressive sonic wonders I've heard.

I see quite a bit of Joy Division influence in In Rainbows...Atrocity Exhibition, Eternal, Interzone, to name a few. So far, I'm really digging the album, but time will tell whether it makes it to the pantheon of OKC and Kid A.

i like this album a lot more than i first did. little things about it have grown on me.

... and some pretty big things, too. namely, videotape.

Zoomerang96 said:
i like this album a lot more than i first did. little things about it have grown on me.

... and some pretty big things, too. namely, videotape.

There's a lot to love here. And Videotape is one of them. It's kind of stuck in my head today. Each song is getting stuck in my head one by one. Today is Videotape's turn.

There are at least three exquisite songs on the album, and Videotape is certainly one of them, All I Need and Reckoner being the other two.
In a random thought, U2Man's release date of August 6 was not as inaccurate as many thought.

I find Reckoner boring. :reject: Videotape has grown on me too. And All I Need and House Of Cards are still my favorites here! :love:

Maybe it's because it's the only song on the album besides maybe Fuast Arp that's doing something different, as well as featuring the only interesting acoustic percussion on the whole album.

For the first four or five days, I thought Reckoner was easily the best song on the record...but over the past two or three days it's suddenly become less interesting to me...less great....:shrug:

cdisantis83 said:
U2Man's release date of August 6 was not as inaccurate as many thought.

Yet, in so many other ways, he remains a revered musical prophet, wherever he may be. :sad: :pray:

tomtom said:
So far, I'm really digging the album, but time will tell whether it makes it to the pantheon of OKC and Kid A.

I think "time" is the keyword. :up:

OKC and Kid A are easily two of the best albums in the history of modern music. It's hard for anything to measure up to that. Just like those albums, all great music has that 'setting in' period, where the 'greatness' eventually surfaces and becomes something brilliant and distinctive...I've got a feeling this album is no different. Where does it rank? Check back in a few months...or maybe more! What I know for sure is that it's one mother of an album, emotionally. In that aspect, it may be the densest, most challenging thing they've ever done. On top of that, it's full of abject contrasts--in that it's dark, yet warm, hopeful, but full of melancholy. Weird Fishes/Arpeggi is completely amazing in that way.

I think that's the story of the album: the complete spectrum of emotion...a Rainbow? :hmm:

i hated reckoner at first. now . . . i tolerate it. which is an improvement. to some degree, many of the other songs have grown on me. except for arpeggi, which i think is easily the worst song on the album.

xaviMF22 said:

what the hell do people see in that song

I mean over atease...everyone is having an orgasm about it :banghead:

reckoner :mad:

It's the falsetto!
Angelordevil's point about a spectrum of moods is well-made. House of Cards is even, dare I say it, warm- quite unlike anything else I have heard from them.

cdisantis83 said:

It's the falsetto!

:yes:

It also comes at a point in the record where I can't believe how many breathtaking songs I've just heard in a row and now here's another one, and it kind of pushes me over the edge.

But yes, the falsetto is what it's all about. It's sexy.

angelordevil said:

I think that's the story of the album: the complete spectrum of emotion...a Rainbow? :hmm:

:yes: this is the first time Radiohead have made an album with such a broad emotional spectrum. My main criticism of them has been that their music is pretty much always on the negative end, but on this album they've discovered joy and also nuance - it's not just doom and gloom; there is a range of emotions even in one song, like you said with Weird Fishes/Arpeggi.

this puts them up there with U2 imo, which I never thought I'd say :up: of course they'll never beat out U2 in my heart, but so far I love this record in very much the same way I love a U2 record, if that makes sense. There's some music I listen to because it's fucking awesome (like, say, Rage Against the Machine), or it's catchy and enjoyable or whatever, there is music I identify with emotionally...but U2 is like the combination of all these and something else. Some special spark that takes their music to some higher level of uplifting. I think Radiohead have tapped into that sort of energy with In Rainbows.

as for Reckoner...beautiful song. Not my favourite, but it's far from boring. House of Cards is the only track that can sometimes bore me :shrug: it reminds me very much of the U2 that made Miss Sarajevo, The First Time, One Step Closer...those sort of relaxed, almost VU style ballads.

Coming home from work this evening, I looked over and saw a rainbow. I instantly thought of this and chuckled:

inrainbowsalbumcover.jpg

The Bends is a bad album....

Jigsaw still ain't doing anything for me yet.....

...but Wierd Fishes is still blowing my mind relentlessly....i can't comprehend how awesome that song is.

Why's there a fair bit of hate for Videotape?

I don't know, I like Videotape, but the drumming in the end just kinda freaks me out.

I really love the album and listen to it a lot, though I freely admit that I'm not a great fan of the band's last few albums, they just don't seem very accessible to me. I love OKC and I love The Bends, it contains a couple of my very favourite songs ever. And I'm pleasantly surprised by their new album, the songs really capture a lot of emotions.

intedomine said:

Why's there a fair bit of hate for Videotape?

Because a lot of people listened to bootlegs from the last tour and fell in love with that version and are disappointed with how they changed it, especially the drums (which I happen to love and think are brilliant).

And I agree with everyone about the emotional landscape on this record. I keep tearing up at various points, whether it's a lyric, a vocal, a chord change...this record is both accessible and deep, imo.

joyfulgirl said:

Because a lot of people listened to bootlegs from the last tour and fell in love with that version and are disappointed with how they changed it, especially the drums (which I happen to love and think are brilliant).

And I agree with everyone about the emotional landscape on this record. I keep tearing up at various points, whether it's a lyric, a vocal, a chord change...this record is both accessible and deep, imo.

All perfectly said.

I saw the Pony cover first on Atease, which I figure is where it originated.

Thanks again for the invite btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom