Question about MacPhisto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2bpbear24

War Child
we all know and love Mr. MacPhisto...but i dont understand where he comes from exactly...i read somewhere that he is a "aged rock star" and that he is a liar/devil.

so what exactly is he supposed to represent?

It's a combination of a number of things.

Part of it is Bono's 'Fat Elvis' period - symbolising the excess of rock and roll.

Another side of the character grew out of the 'Mirrorball Man' character of the first US leg of the ZooTV tour - the Mirrorball Man was more of a satire on Televangelists, Bono decided to change the character for the European leg.

Part of it is Bono taking the piss out of rock and roll in general and the media's perception of it.

And part of it is a representation of the devil himself - interesting in this context that the MacPhisto character was killed off at the end of the HMTMKMKM video, with C.S. Lewis's the Screwtape Letter's depicted in the last frame.

He's supposed to represent all that is beastly in this world of ours. And he does a damn good job of it.

I heard the fly washed up thing too...

macfly2-vi.jpg

MattFromNYC said:
i'd like to sic macphisto on that evil jick wannabe "walkontheedge" forum member who threw their zooropa album in the trashcan. :mad:

whaaaa? i love zooropa!!

:scream: they threw it away?!?!?!!

i'd like to sic Macphisto on him too...thats just..crazy....

:huh:

:mad: i read the thread...what he did makes me angry and sad...:sad:

zooropa is my fave album..how can u just throw it away???

*sigh* sometimes i just dont understand people...

MattFromNYC said:
beastly? macphisto seems like a sweet, gentle dude if you ask me.. a little crazy, but sweet.

By beastly, I meant it in the same way that Steve Nash is a beast, or Johnny Depp is a beast. Beast is just another way of saying someone or something is fucking awesome.

understand INMYPLACE!!! I miss Mcphisto too:( ...Call me crazy but I think Bono was hot in all that make-up:tongue:

Carmelu2fan said:
understand INMYPLACE!!! I miss Mcphisto too:( ...Call me crazy but I think Bono was hot in all that make-up:tongue:

I definately agree with you on that one, Macphisto was very hot. :drool:

:love: :heart: :love:

U2bpbear24 said:
:mad: i read the thread...what he did makes me angry and sad...:sad:

zooropa is my fave album..how can u just throw it away???

*sigh* sometimes i just dont understand people...

yup, it made me sick, too. but oh well.

zooropa's one of the best ever.

inmyplace13 said:

By beastly, I meant it in the same way that Steve Nash is a beast, or Johnny Depp is a beast. Beast is just another way of saying someone or something is fucking awesome.

Hehe, oh okay. My bad.

I agree.. fucking awesome is what MacPhisto was. Actually, thats an understatement. :wink:

And The Fly, too. Style-wise.. The Fly was perfect.. But MacPhisto seems to cover all bases.. style, charm, personality, sense of humor. I think he's turning me gay. I swear. I sound just like the ladies here now.. and I'm a guy. :huh:
See what U2 does to people? lol.

u2fly1 said:

If I remember that is the pic of Bono as the fly and Gavin Friday as Macphisto.?

That is cool.

Nah, I think both are actually Bono. Just they cropped two separate pics together like that. Mac looks just like Bono in that, so I doubt that's Gavin. But if it is.. :huh: :eyebrow:

Ya, you might be right.

It's that I saw a pic in the, at the end the end of the world book where they are facing each other and they looked remarkably similar.

They're both our man Bono. No doubt it my mind.

macmovie.gif

Best. Jack-o-lantern. Ever.

Off with the horns, on with the show.

youtwohearts said:

Bono as 'the fly' has got the mask or something from macphisto in his hand. What's that supposed to mean? That macphisto gives the mask to the fly and the fly will change into macphisto? ....:huh:

MattFromNYC said:
i'd like to sic macphisto on that evil jick wannabe "walkontheedge" forum member who threw their zooropa album in the trashcan. :mad:

:lol: :lol: :up:

What an excellent picture that is ^^^^

POP-ROMANCER said:

Bono as 'the fly' has got the mask or something from macphisto in his hand. What's that supposed to mean? That macphisto gives the mask to the fly and the fly will change into macphisto? ....:huh:

What are you talking about, he's looking in a mirror, there's no mask or anything in the Fly's hand except a cigarette.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom