Pre-Show Lineup Thread Part 2: Check In Every Four Hours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't pay attention per se, in the sense that I certainly don't seek the info out as to who was it and is this their first time, but it seems like I know someone who knows someone for most people pulled up this tour, so pictures and names just appear in my feed or in the couple groups I am in. But yeah, it is a strange obsession for some people.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I'm 40 but I look 20.

Ok, maybe more like 35. ;)

I still sort of hold out hope of being pulled on stage. But not enough to wait in line and deal with the politics.

Well, and anyway, I met Bono in Vancouver the night before the first show and had 90 seconds of bliss in which we exchanged a few words and he hugged me. So really I think that was worth any moment of getting pulled on stage (in which I would probably be terrified anyway).

So I'll just enjoy the show from further back. Haha.

And your Bono encounter sounds lovely.

I guess the point being - I can't understand people who obsess about these things, to the point that they would complain. Good lord.

I think the complaining comes from experiences people have had with a particular individual who has been up there most. There's another fine gent from Toronto who has been up there twice, and because he isn't a fucking prick to other people, we are happy for him. What goes around comes around.

I can't even be bothered to read all these posts. I can't believe it's a thing. I'm sitting here laughing on the tram because there won't be a single issue come their tour here.

So, not GA drama, but if anyone is bored, go to Twitter

@ontheroadwithu2

That fills me with rage. I remember the Kickstarter so that she could follow them on tour paid for by other people, and write a book about it. My eyes nearly rolled right out my my head at that one.

My popcorn moment at GA last night was seeing one of the rail grabbers and her cohort get her huge pink I've-seen-U2-5752-times sign pulled and torn by someone behind her during Mysterious Ways or Desire, and the ensuring indignation and argument. How dare you touch my huge sign that is completely blocking the view for everyone behind me.

The sense of entitlement goes beyond the line and rail spot. It also covers the air space just above said spot. Although, this being NYC, air space is indeed a hot commodity.

That said, it it was a #ASOH or #ShineLikeStars sign, I would have defended her.

That must have been a lovely sight to behold. :love:

I think the complaining comes from experiences people have had with a particular individual who has been up there most. There's another fine gent from Toronto who has been up there twice, and because he isn't a fucking prick to other people, we are happy for him. What goes around comes around.

I know the other "fine gent," I'm from the Toronto area. :lol: Complain about the other one all you want, I suppose. It's not going to change Bono's fascination with him, and I still maintain that I don't get why people care so damn much.

I know the other "fine gent," I'm from the Toronto area. :lol: Complain about the other one all you want, I suppose. It's not going to change Bono's fascination with him, and I still maintain that I don't get why people care so damn much.

Because seeing mean people get something amazing fucking blows? Pretty easy to understand, no? :hmm:

Damn it, VP! You posted that FB thread and now everyone in this thread knows I have special hoedown shoes. :angry:

And your Bono encounter sounds lovely.

It was. To be honest, if that's all I get the rest of my life, then fine. I suppose that's the difference between me and some of the rail rats. I'm good with my one experience. I don't now need to meet Bono 100 more times. (Frankly, I don't want to taint or ruin this memory!)

Your statement about standing back from the e-stage because you were afraid you'd get accused of trying to get on stage again (for a 3rd time, I take it?) reminds me of what happened to me the day of the second show in Vancouver. I was in the GA line (we waited day of from 1pm until doors open) and I left to go drop something off at my hotel. And on the the way to the hotel, at the spot where U2 was getting into and out of the venue, there was Bono on the sidewalk talking with another group of chill fans (not a huge crowd).

You know what I did? I continued walking to my hotel!! Why? I was afraid I would be too much of a hog of his attention if I tried to go there again. And I actually thought, "Well, this gives other people a chance like I had the day before yesterday."

I also did kind of wonder what people would think, too, if they found out I'd met him a second time in one trip like that.... Yeah, it was my last thought. I hope, though, that someone else got to meet him who never had before, like me. Cuz it was awesome and I will have it the rest of my life. :heart::heart:

Because seeing mean people get something amazing fucking blows? Pretty easy to understand, no? :hmm:

Again, it's not something you or anyone else can control. I wouldn't spare the mental energy to give it a second thought. U2 drama can be amusing from a distance, but I don't get all worked up about it, and walk away when I tire of it. Just my point of view. :shrug:

It was. To be honest, if that's all I get the rest of my life, then fine. I suppose that's the difference between me and some of the rail rats. I'm good with my one experience. I don't now need to meet Bono 100 more times. (Frankly, I don't want to taint or ruin this memory!)

Your statement about standing back from the e-stage because you were afraid you'd get accused of trying to get on stage again (for a 3rd time, I take it?) reminds me of what happened to me the day of the second show in Vancouver. I was in the GA line (we waited day of from 1pm until doors open) and I left to go drop something off at my hotel. And on the the way to the hotel, at the spot where U2 was getting into and out of the venue, there was Bono on the sidewalk talking with another group of chill fans (not a huge crowd).

You know what I did? I continued walking to my hotel!! Why? I was afraid I would be too much of a hog of his attention if I tried to go there again. And I actually thought, "Well, this gives other people a chance like I had the day before yesterday."

I also did kind of wonder what people would think, too, if they found out I'd met him a second time in one trip like that.... Yeah, it was my last thought. I hope, though, that someone else got to meet him who never had before, like me. Cuz it was awesome and I will have it the rest of my life. :heart::heart:

You are a nice person and speak a lot of truths here. I strongly believe that people trying to constantly surpass their best U2 encounter is what turns some fans into entitled, bitter shitheads. Meanwhile, you have people that cherish their one moment and appreciate it so much more than the people that have had 20 times the experiences.

I did go crazy during Vertigo and saw something like 18 shows in 3 countries. I did a lot of front rails. I ran some very mellow lines where people wrote their own numbers stayed in line and police themselves. I also raised some ruckus in a couple of other lines where shady stuff was going on. I had some amazing moments. And towards the end of my shows, I told my friends that I would be crazy to try and top those experiences and that I hoped I was in different place in my life by the next tour where I didn't want to and couldn't do the same thing.

For 360 I did 3 shows with only one front row, one back of ellipse and seats for another. This tour I did 4 shows but I didn't line up for any of them via the fan lines. I was happy with my middle of the catwalk rail while watching those awesome dudes do their thing.

Again, it's not something you or anyone else can control. I wouldn't spare the mental energy to give it a second thought. U2 drama can be amusing from a distance, but I don't get all worked up about it, and walk away when I tire of it. Just my point of view. :shrug:

Bono gets worked up about injustice he can't change all the time, and people love him for it. Lol.

Is this where I check in to get put on a list to get on stage with Bono?

Yes. Step right up. You are number 29,876 for next leg. Good luck!

You are a nice person and speak a lot of truths here. I strongly believe that people trying to constantly surpass their best U2 encounter is what turns some fans into entitled, bitter shitheads. Meanwhile, you have people that cherish their one moment and appreciate it so much more than the people that have had 20 times the experiences.

I did go crazy during Vertigo and saw something like 18 shows in 3 countries. I did a lot of front rails. I ran some very mellow lines where people wrote their own numbers stayed in line and police themselves. I also raised some ruckus in a couple of other lines where shady stuff was going on. I had some amazing moments. And towards the end of my shows, I told my friends that I would be crazy to try and top those experiences and that I hoped I was in different place in my life by the next tour where I didn't want to and couldn't do the same thing.

For 360 I did 3 shows with only one front row, one back of ellipse and seats for another. This tour I did 4 shows but I didn't line up for any of them via the fan lines. I was happy with my middle of the catwalk rail while watching those awesome dudes do their thing.

Aw, thanks! I think I'm where you are at. I went nuts at 360, saw a lot of shit, then found myself incredibly chill during i+e when I saw that the line bullshit was starting up again where it left off on 360 (and the last show on 360 I saw was the last show, Moncton). I have seen 5 shows in i+e (2 Vancouver, 3 Chicago) and, honestly, have had the best time! Didn't mess with the line and still got rail on the e-stage (at the back) in Vancouver. The rest of the shows, I was pretty much the second row from the stage. I did the RZ rail for one night in Chicago to see the screens (the night they played Gloria for the first time, too, so awesome). And for Chicago 2, I was about five rows back from the main stage and 2-3 rows from the catwalk. I had the most fun in that spot. Or maybe it was because they played Bad and Volcano that night. Either way, I had fun and I'm so happy for the experiences I had at the 5 shows. I'm honestly just glad I can still see my favorite band live and I will appreciate each moment of that while I can. I've taken the approach at each show that it could be the last U2 show I ever see. Everything else just melts away and I live in the moment...

I have met some fantastic people through U2 concerts..life friends..just the best people...none of which are crazy nut balls dying to get on the stage, none of which have ever been on the stage....but..we have been shoved, elbowed, glared at, pushed and yes, hit in the head by the entitled bullies being discussed in here because we like to be up close to see the band up close, to enjoy the band up close ...and we try not to let the few bad apples spoil the show.

I'm honestly just glad I can still see my favorite band live and I will appreciate each moment of that while I can. I've taken the approach at each show that it could be the last U2 show I ever see. Everything else just melts away and I live in the moment...

:applaud: :love: :applaud:

I was with Michelle (who I believe you hung out with in Vancouver along with Beth) for Chicago 3 and 4 and we had an absolute blast. Some of my very favorite shows energy wise. :love:

I have met some fantastic people through U2 concerts..life friends..just the best people...none of which are crazy nut balls dying to get on the stage, none of which have ever been on the stage....but..we have been shoved, elbowed, glared at, pushed and yes, hit in the head by the entitled bullies being discussed in here because we like to be up close to see the band up close, to enjoy the band up close ...and we try not to let the few bad apples spoil the show.

:yes: :yes: :yes: on all counts.

Ok. Maybe not all counts cause if someone had elbowed me in the head on purpose to get me to move or whatever, I would probably be in jail.

Good for you. People. Harrumph.

On the Road With U2 | My Musical Journey

Hours of cringeworthy lulz. And her lurking in the background while he takes a picture with another fan. Creepiest thing I've ever seen. :yikes:
The #U2ieTour hashtag can also result in hours of cringeworthy lulz.

I would love to see as many U2 shows as the fans that fall into the creepy, obsessed sheeple category, but I feel bad for the fans who can only attend one or two shows. Someone might want to line up and meet the band before the show, only to have their experience ruined by the group of fans who think they are entitled to meet the band before every show, must have a spot on the rail every night and feels the need to get noticed by the band.

If someone gets Larry's drumsticks, let them have the fucking drumsticks! Don't claim that no one got anything when it was most likely the opposite.

A short work of fiction, from my daughter, who has also been enjoying the over the top drama. What I wouldn't have given to have had this prepared last night to post in the FB group. :lol:

Do not read if you're anti-Amp and/or easily offended. :)

One day Bono gets a letter from the Saddest Little U2 Fan saying that it hurts them whenever Amp gets pulled onstage because he's a meanie and gets into lines early and goes to a lot of shows and is sometimes rude and also someone saw him steal medicine from children with AIDS in Africa whereas Saddest Little U2 Fan has never done anything bad or mistreated anyone and doesn't WANT to go onstage but nonetheless feels that they are responsible for Righting This Wrong. Bono, realizing how wrong he's been this tour, breaks down crying. Then him and the Edge get into their U2mobile, defeat Amp in epic combat, and at the next show they pull up Saddest Little U2 Fan, who (spoiler alert) was You, The Person Reading This Right Now. And they beg your forgiveness, and serenade you with obscure b-sides and rarities, and establish a new, just Line Protocol, and throw out copies of Songs of Experience (which Amp had stolen from them!!!) to the loving crowd, who recognize how you have saved all of U2 fandom, and they hoist you up and declare you their monarch, and finally, yes finally, Larry Mullen Jr. smiles.

A short work of fiction, from my daughter, who has also been enjoying the over the top drama. What I wouldn't have given to have had this prepared last night to post in the FB group. :lol: Do not read if you're anti-Amp and/or easily offended. :)

One day Bono gets a letter from the Saddest Little U2 Fan saying that it hurts them whenever Amp gets pulled onstage because he's a meanie and gets into lines early and goes to a lot of shows and is sometimes rude and also someone saw him steal medicine from children with AIDS in Africa whereas Saddest Little U2 Fan has never done anything bad or mistreated anyone and doesn't WANT to go onstage but nonetheless feels that they are responsible for Righting This Wrong. Bono, realizing how wrong he's been this tour, breaks down crying. Then him and the Edge get into their U2mobile, defeat Amp in epic combat, and at the next show they pull up Saddest Little U2 Fan, who (spoiler alert) was You, The Person Reading This Right Now. And they beg your forgiveness, and serenade you with obscure b-sides and rarities, and establish a new, just Line Protocol, and throw out copies of Songs of Experience (which Amp had stolen from them!!!) to the loving crowd, who recognize how you have saved all of U2 fandom, and they hoist you up and declare you their monarch, and finally, yes finally, Larry Mullen Jr. smiles.

Fantastic. :applaud:

A short work of fiction, from my daughter, who has also been enjoying the over the top drama. What I wouldn't have given to have had this prepared last night to post in the FB group. :lol:

Do not read if you're anti-Amp and/or easily offended. :)

Just for this, you and Sarah are bumped to #'s 2 and 3 on the list. :kiss:

The #U2ieTour hashtag can also result in hours of cringeworthy lulz.

I would love to see as many U2 shows as the fans that fall into the creepy, obsessed sheeple category, but I feel bad for the fans who can only attend one or two shows. Someone might want to line up and meet the band before the show, only to have their experience ruined by the group of fans who think they are entitled to meet the band before every show, must have a spot on the rail every night and feels the need to get noticed by the band.

I am cognizant of the fact that my criticism of certain aspects of the fandom can only go so far because of some of the things I have said before (multiple shows, lots of front row, stage appearances, running lines) but I do agree with you in regard to the meet and greets (I am still not mature enough to not want to be somewhere in the rail so long as it doesn't entail shitty behavior or signing onto a list days and days before a show). Once or twice per tour, ok go ahead and knock yourself silly waiting around if you want. But there really is no need to go to every single one and inflate the numbers of people there, therefore making it less likely that the band will stop or diluting the already short period of time each person gets. I have personally only done it twice, during Vertigo. Was going to try to go during Chicago to get one of my pictures with Bono signed but we could't be assed to show up at the ridiculously early time needed to have a shot at it.

I am cognizant of the fact that my criticism of certain aspects of the fandom can only go so far because of some of the things I have said before (multiple shows, lots of front row, stage appearances, running lines) but I do agree with you in regard to the meet and greets (I am still not mature enough to not want to be somewhere in the rail so long as it doesn't entail shitty behavior or signing onto a list days and days before a show). Once or twice per tour, ok go ahead and knock yourself silly waiting around if you want. But there really is no need to go to every single one and inflate the numbers of people there, therefore making it less likely that the band will stop or diluting the already short period of time each person gets. I have personally only done it twice, during Vertigo. Was going to try to go during Chicago to get one of my pictures with Bono signed but we could't be assed to show up at the ridiculously early time needed to have a shot at it.

Awesome. :up: You know what? You had an epic adventure on Vertigo. You were at a time and place in your life where you could do that, and good for you! :) My Vertigo adventure wasn't quite so epic, I saw 8 shows that tour, but again, I was at a time and place and circumstance where I could, and I doubt I will be able to repeat that any time soon, nor do I really feel the need to. And that tour, I met 3 of the 4 of them...just an amazing meeting (actually got to chat with each of them for a few minutes!), that I don't think anything else will live up to, so I've never tried again since. Not that I never will again, but like you, I'm more than content with what I've had, and would prefer that others have that experience, rather than me having it again and again and again, and it becoming less special to me. I would eventually like to have Adam sign the print that the three others did, so I can finally get the damn thing framed and up on a wall, but like you mentioned, I haven't been bothered enough about it to actually go to the effort of hauling a cardboard tube all around outside of concert venues. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom