Post your rigs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

If we're talking guitars here's a few. Now I'm one of those nutters who gives names to his guitars. Usually female names as I tend to think of guitars as female.

Production guitars

Faith
SDC10457.jpg

Fender Lite Ash Stratocaster, made in Korea. A very cheap production model, just above Squier, but she plays quite nice. Bought for use in a Radiohead tribute band so equipped with Lace Sensor pickups, Blue/Silver/Red-Red Dually. Fitted with a LP style toggle killswitch in the lower horn, push botton killswitch next to the pickup selector and coil splitter switch. Which I deactivated, because who needs that anyway. ;) Black with black pickguard and a maple neck, so a little touch of the Edge as well.

Buffy
SDC10481.jpg

A 90's MIJ Fender Strat with large headstock. Incredibly thin neck. Modified for use in a Radiohead tribute band with Lace Sensor pickups, Blue/Red-Red Dually, and a Fernandes FSK-401 Sustainer. Push botton killswitch next to the pickup selector, another deactivated coil splitter switch and a non-floating trem, divebombing only. Which allows for easy drop-D detuning.

Laura
20160123_134132.jpg

Fender Lite Ash Telecaster. Most extensively modified of all my production guitars. Fitted with Bareknuckle Mississippi Queen P90 pickups, a LP style toggle killswitch in the lower horn, push botton killswitch between the volume and tone knobs and an Amptone MIDI touchscreen controller. Laura is tuned down to C#.

Angel Eyes
20160123_134351.jpg

An 80's MIJ Fender Strat. Another heavily modded guitar. Painted black, mirror pickguard, Lace Sensor Blue/Silver pickups, DiMarzio hot rail bridge pickup, a LP style toggle killswitch in the lower horn, push botton killswitch next to the pickup selector. Originally I had two of these but I lost one. A great loss as I always considered that one to be the superior instrument.

Tommi
20160123_134535.jpg

A London City Telecaster and for a while my go to guitar in all things in drop-D tuning. If you can find them London City Telecasters are a steal. They usually come around €200 new, €120 to €150 2nd hand and in my opinion for that money they're way, way better then their Squier counterparts. Only mods are a are a push botton killswitch between the volume and tone knobs and a mirror pickguard. Cause I like shiny.

Propaganda
SDC10456.jpg

Squier Telecaster which I got, aside from the awesome artwork because it was reasonably cheap and it had a Humbucker/Sincle Coil instead of the customary dual single coils. And I needed that for that Radiohead tribute band I was in without having to resort to all sorts of routing. Loaded with a Lace Sensor Blue neck pickup and a Red-Red Dually bridge pickup. Just like Jonny Greenwood's Tele. Only with better artwork. For the finishing touch a push botton killswitch between the volume and tone knobs.

Custom builds

Renate
20121006_151134.jpg

After Radiohead came my Muse period and Matt's custom builds inspired me to do my own. In this case the Chrome Bomber.
Manson Chrome Bomber – MuseWiki: Supermassive wiki for the band Muse

20121006_151143.jpg

Renate is a partscaster assembled for me by Basta Guitars in Bemmel, with initial routing being done for me by PKGuitars in Weurt. The Chrome paintjob was done for me BChromed in Dordrecht. Goodies include a Fernandes FSK-401 Sustainer, Lace Sensor Silver/Red-Silver Dually pickups, internal Zvex Fuzz Factory built on a Madbean pcb, LP style toggle killswitch in the lower horn, push botton killswitch next to the pickup selector, Ibanez Edge Pro locking trem with a Göldo backbox trem stabilizer in case of string breakage.

The Axe of Dorn
20141117_092803.jpg

My first attempt at actual guitar building. Self assembled and painted partscaster as part of a guitar building class. Inspired by Matt Bellamy's Delorean guitar.
Manson Delorean – MuseWiki: Supermassive wiki for the band Muse

20141117_092859.jpg

Shoulder piece created by me. Goodies include locking tuners, Fernandes FSK-101 Sustainer, Kent Armstrong Motherbucker bridge pickup (now replaced with a Bareknuckle Pickups Nailbomb), internal Zvex Fuzz Factory built on a Madbean pcb, LP style toggle killswitch in the upper horn and a push botton killswitch between the volume and tone knobs. Purity seal added for added protection against the corruption of the Warp.

Litany of Fury
20150208_144201.jpg

My second guitar build. Inspired by Matt Bellamy's Red Glitter guitar.
Manson Red Glitter – MuseWiki: Supermassive wiki for the band Muse

20150208_144246.jpg

The body was and painted for me by Basta Guitars in Bemmel (who also does the guitar building workshops), neck somewhere off Ebay, shoulder piece created by me. Goodies include locking tuners, Fernandes FSK-401 Sustainer, Fender Texas Special middle pickup, Bareknuckle Pickups Nailbomb bridge pickup, Amptone MIDI touch screen controller, LP style toggle killswitch in the upper horn, push botton killswitch next to the pickup selector, Guitar Fetish non-floating tremelo with a trem stopper, to allow for easy detuning to drop-D or lower. Purity seal added for added protection against the corruption of the Warp.

Rynn's Might
20150807_122113.jpg

My third guitar build. Inspired by David Gilmour's Black Strat.

20150807_122330.jpg

First guitar body I built from scratch, which was fun. Neck still somewhere off Ebay. Goodies include all black chrome hardware, locking tuners, Fender Texas Specials neck and middle pickups with flattened pole pieces mod, a Seymour Duncan SSL-5 bridge pickup, Ibanez cosmo black Lo Pro Edge locking tuner with a Göldo backbox stabilizer in case of string breakage, LP style toggle killswitch in the upper horn, push botton killswitch next to the pickup selector, Guitar Fetish mids booster circuit and a Crybaby wah circuit. The latter is to create David Gilmour's seagull screams by reversing the in- and output of the wah circuit. Purity seal added for added protection against the corruption of the Warp.

Eternal Crusader
20151207_185215.jpg

My fourth guitar build, losely inspired by Matt Bellamy's guitars but not any in particular.

20151207_185243.jpg

Guitar body built from scratch, Mighty Mike neck, Bareknuckle Pickups Mississippi Queen neck pickup, Nailbomb bridge pickup, all chrome hardware, Guitar Fetish non-floating tremelo with tremstopper for easy detuning, LP style toggle killswitch in the upper horn, push botton killswitch next to the pickup selector, internal Zvex Fuzz Factory built on a Musikding board and a Crybaby wah circuit to do the David Gilmour seagull screams trick. The Nailbomb had to be waxpotted because it was microphobic. Purity seal added for added protection against the corruption of the Warp.

Currently I'm working on a 7 string Telecaster. Also the first time I'm building a neck myself as 7 string Tele necks are virtually impossible to get pre-prepared.
20160129_224545.jpg

3 Amps

Behind me you can see my main AC30 plus Tweed Deluxe plus small Fender stage 112 se.
U2 played on this very stage in 1980 my how they have moved on!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 2
Way cool way expensive

This is the one and only time I'm likely to ever hold a vintage guitar that cost 5 figures... 1951 Esquire

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 2
Mixed shots

Mixed screenshots of a rehearsal

My strat plus ultra

1968 plxi and matching cab in the back ground

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 4
Rehearsals

More gear

93 les Paul custom
77 black is strat by the rack
94 strat ultra
Baja cream telecaster
2004 black whate strat

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Muad'zin, you're building 7 string? haven't seen extended range guitars around here, so I'm kinda surprised. I'm a mediocre player so i don't have a courage to go for extended range, though I'm intrigued by baritone guitars.

Muad'zin, you're building 7 string? haven't seen extended range guitars around here, so I'm kinda surprised. I'm a mediocre player so i don't have a courage to go for extended range, though I'm intrigued by baritone guitars.

Well, I do like to operate in the heavier end of the music spectrum. And for some things going low is a plus. Not all the time, that's where I think metal bands have got it wrong. By tuning down all the time that supposedly heavier sound stops being heavier and just becomes a bass heavy sound.

It probably won't be a guitar that's much use for playing U2 songs and it will most certainly take some getting used too. It will be an interesting challenge. I could have bought a cheap 7 string to get into practice, but 99% of all 7 strings on the market are ugly as f*** metal guitars, and at the cheaper end of the spectrum that ratio doesn't improve one bit either. Who knows, maybe if 7 strings didn't have that heavy metal image and companies like Fender offered them then maybe Edge would have picked one up as well?

yeah it is kinda true that 7 string market is dominated by metal; i mean first popular, commercially available 7 string guitar was Universe from Ibanez, which obviously is a metal guitar (though Steve Vai said that some experimental jazz players used Universe). plus the fact that Korn and Deftone using 7 string extensively didnt help the image either. Only 7 string that I saw which looks decent was PRS one and it does not look too much like weird pointy shaped blob. And sound wise, lots of extended range guitars are basically aimed for metal, with EMGs or Dimarzio (even Seymour pups for those guitars are pretty high output with weird name like pegasus). EMG for those application kinda sucks, as low notes aren't really handled well.

only time I've seen 7 string used by non-metal player is Billy Corgan, and he only used it in 97-ish, when playing Bullet with Butterfly wings live. it's very different version from original but pretty cool rendition, I guess.

these days, extended range guitars (especially 8 or 9 string guitars) are pretty much for djent players. but I see some people using it creatively with tapping and low notes as bass line without being metal or just riffing with low notes.

Last edited:
I think it's still hard for a lot of people to find where sound of 7 string guitars fit in sonically. I hate how nu metal bands used those extended range guitars and now low-tuned prog metal bands are using in much more worse ways these days (i know you should be familiar with djent bands). they just drop the lowest string by whole step to tune them drop B or even lower. Sure Tosin Abasi is kinda using it differently but still it's just tool for extra wankery. not too tasty in my opinion. It's hard for me to imagine Edge using extended range guitar, unless they're baritone or regular 6 string that's extremely detuned (virtually same things). Hey, Edge hasn't even used drop D, I believe.

Love & Piece or Else was in drop-D. I know that one at least for sure.

I think its also a question of whether or not you got a guitar at the ready in drop-D. If you don't and you're writing new music chances are it will be in standard tuning. If you do have a drop-D tuned guitar at the ready you're far more likely to write stuff on it. I find it even hard not to because of that.

Love and Peace was in Open-D tuning I believe.

Edge tuned all 6 strings down 3 half-steps for With a Shout and Rejoice on the October tour and obviously the same on SBS on the Elevation tour. Now SBS and Pride are in D tuning.

UF live is DADADF from memory (I worked this out a few year ago...)

However the only 'drop' tuning I know (when the lowest string is tuned down only) is drop-D for the album version on In God's Country and also I believe C'mon Everybody from the JT Tour was drop-Db.

oh yeah SBS was quite low in some tours. so C# standard? that's like tuning in Master of Reality.

I still wonder what he thinks of these modeling guitar after all of these years. I know he quite liked them during Vertigo tour but afterwards, there's no evidence of him using one (though I remember someone saw new Line 6 Variax electric delivered to Edge during 360 tour).

Last edited:
oh yeah SBS was quite low in some tours. so C# standard? that's like tuning in Master of Reality.

I still wonder what he thinks of these modeling guitar after all of these years. I know he quite liked them during Vertigo tour but afterwards, there's no evidence of him using one (though I remember someone saw new Line 6 Variax electric delivered to Edge during 360 tour).

Love and Peace was a J200 for the studio. So it made since to go with the Line 6 Variax for the tour. (Feedback issues)

The experiment must have inspired his use of the Line 6 for 'The Fly'.

But as Line 6 no longer makes them, I can see that as one of many possible reasons he stopped using them.

The other? They have played 'Love and Peace'. So why not use it for 'The Fly' during 360? They didn't play it until later in the tour and that said, as they were prepping for Glastonbury and 20th anniversary AB release, it made since to return to a Strat for 'The Fly'.

Speculation? Sure.

It might be that he just found that the Variax was fine for the moment but after reflecting, he didn't love it - Same as the Clapton Strats. He gave them a fair trial (all of Love Town) but in the end, other than 2 songs on the Zoo tours... they've not been seen since.

Of course he does have a constant supply of new guitars, both vintage and new, coming in. Since he can't keep on playing all his guitars its only natural that some of them are falling by the wayside and are now gathering dust.

As for the Line6 guitar not being used for The Fly on 360, they seem to have taken the decision to play The Fly again when they were on the road. With that guitar probably sitting in some storage in Dublin and them in the US they probably used what they had among Edge's already considerable collection of tour guitars. And if that reason won't hold up, didn't that guitar have Vertigo artwork? Making it something to be created and used specifically for that tour?

Of course he does have a constant supply of new guitars, both vintage and new, coming in. Since he can't keep on playing all his guitars its only natural that some of them are falling by the wayside and are now gathering dust.

As for the Line6 guitar not being used for The Fly on 360, they seem to have taken the decision to play The Fly again when they were on the road. With that guitar probably sitting in some storage in Dublin and them in the US they probably used what they had among Edge's already considerable collection of tour guitars. And if that reason won't hold up, didn't that guitar have Vertigo artwork? Making it something to be created and used specifically for that tour?

One had the Vertigo artwork and one silver sparkle, mostly used for Love + Peace, although I think I remember seeing a. Idea of the silver sparkle being used for The Fly, at least once during the Vertigo tour.

I agree one reason it might not have seen 360 use was that it was in storage but they knew Glasto was coming up, AB 20th Anniversary box was coming up, and they'd be doing more AB tunes during the 2011 shows. So it could have been packed up and added for the tour. But I think more likely Edge wanted to lean toward. Stratocaster (similar to the Zoo tours) and more thanthT, like the Clapton Stratocasters, the Variax fell out of favor.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

EzeciH2.jpg

Updated pedalboard. The 5 in the DPC-5 loops can be substituted for any of the pedals I have that are not on my board as they're all 125B enclosures.

Not on the board are:
Lovepedal Red Dot Zen Drive rehoused in 125B
Lovepedal Beardsman chorus rehoused in 125B
Lovepedal Gold Amp11
Lovepedal Eternity Burst Handwired
Wall Of Sound Colorsound Overdriver clone with independent boost
JHS Morning Glory V3
JHS Angry Charlie Handpainted edition

oh yeah Muad'zin i was going to ask, what pickups are you going to use for 7 string? just wondering.

A Bareknuckle Pickup Nailbomb with ceramic magnets and a 7 string Sustainiac. Which will be my first one as I'm more used to the Fernandes Sustainer. But only Sustainiac has a 7 string model. It was quite interesting ordering from them, almost akin to ordering soup from the Seinfeld Soup Nazi. You had to be really meticulous in your ordering.

I'm really lusting after your Eventide H9. I wouldn't mind having one myself. :drool:

I see more and more Sustainiac in stock models now; I guess Fernandes still want to keep associate their own guitar with Sustainer, not others.

Yep Db / C# for SBS on the Elevation and Vertigo Tours. Edge used the white Tele - I presume for the brightness of the tele's bridge PU to offset the lower tuning somewhat. Wonder what strings he used... 12s probably! :D

Yep Db / C# for SBS on the Elevation and Vertigo Tours. Edge used the white Tele - I presume for the brightness of the tele's bridge PU to offset the lower tuning somewhat. Wonder what strings he used... 12s probably! :D

Tony Iommi used 8s for C# standard guitar. (yeah it was because he injured his fingers but still)

So what is the tuning he's using Pride and SBS? just whole step down?

Back
Top Bottom