*POSSIBLE SPOILERS* Rehearsals In Vancouver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If U2 play SOI in it's entirety, the headlines would be "U2 forces it's mediocre Songs of Innocence on us again!!" A sentence in that article would read "An audience anxious to hear their favorite classics were instead forced to spend $300 to listen to U2 play an album none of them wanted to hear!".

TWO WEEKS!!! I'm almost as excited for opening night as I am for my shows in Chicago! I was gonna try to hold off setlist watching until my Chicago shows, but it's just too damned fun! To me, setlist parties and rehearsal reports are an integral part of the fan experience. Back in 2001 I worked 2nd shift in a horrible shithole factory. I loved coming home, getting online, and seeing the setlists posted from the evening's U2 show. Setlist watching has always been a nice hobby for me ever since, and not just for U2 either.

If U2 play SOI in it's entirety, the headlines would be "U2 forces it's mediocre Songs of Innocence on us again!!" A sentence in that article would read "An audience anxious to hear their favorite classics were instead forced to spend $300 to listen to U2 play an album none of them wanted to hear!".
I doubt they would play SoI from start to finish. Too many new songs in a row, in my opinion. People would start walking out.

To me, setlist parties and rehearsal reports are an integral part of the fan experience. Back in 2001 I worked 2nd shift in a horrible shithole factory. I loved coming home, getting online, and seeing the setlists posted from the evening's U2 show. Setlist watching has always been a nice hobby for me ever since, and not just for U2 either.

Nice! See you in Chicago, btw.

I doubt they would play SoI from start to finish. Too many new songs in a row, in my opinion. People would start walking out.

There's some fans that still want this to happen every time they release something new, but obviously, it's not that simple. Weirdly enough, this probably would have been the album to do it for considering the release method and songs attached, but alas...

If it were advertised as such, it could be a different story. But it seems like they will be drawing from both new and old this time around, as usual. That's fine by me.

I have seen several bands play an album start to finish, and they were all albums I love, but it's actually not as good as varied set. Totally kills the surprise effect and there is something missing not having different albums next to each other.

Other than jt, ab and maybe UF I don't care to see a whole u2 album start to finish. Even all of those I would prefer a varied set. I am a fan of SOI but I certainly don't want to see the whole thing start to finish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using U2 Interference mobile app

Bloody hell guys, it's not Mysterious Ways if it doesn't have the slide solo.

And I was starting to wonder where Streets had got to...

It's MW as long as it's played.

And truthfully, Streets is probably being rehearsed just for lighting and such. That's one of the staples and quite possibly the band's signature. They could pull it out and play it cold if they had to. Probably also explains why Still and One haven't reared their heads yet. We're still a few weeks out so I bet more staples arrive closer to show time as opposed to rarieties that havent been played in years and therefore need more tweaking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

They're not doing SOI from start to finish.

They may do every song from SOI over the course of a night or (more likely) the tour as a whole, but they are not doing the whole album in sequence. I can state that for certain.

(This statement has nothing to do with my personal opinion on playing SOI or any other album in full. It's just a comment on what's actually [not] happening.)

It's MW as long as it's played.

No, without the slide solo it's just some sad and unrecognisable neutered bastard.

Mysterious Ways, at its peak, is stellar and I'd be happy for it to be in every show. The version they played on 360 belongs in a 'worst U2 live moments' discussion. For every awesome thing that happened on 360 there seemed to be an inexplicable decision to counter it. Hopefully it's a bit more relaxed on this tour.

The only MW I liked on 360 is when they had the extended Tryin To Throw Your Arms snippet.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

non-u2 day for me today

-One was rehearsed on Monday. Edge electric guitar with Bono singing only for most of it then the band comes in for the final coda. Like EBW/WOWY I think these are 3 of the 5 songs that will feature strings.

-I have also heard California get a full run through on Monday which was missing from Axver's site

-I'm thinking they may split some of the deeper cuts between A/B shows. Sorta like how some 2005 shows got Yahweh and the next night it was swapped out for Original of Species, so there's some minor precedent.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/03/arts/music/u2s-flight-to-now-turbulence-included.html
-That NYT piece has a group photo that's definitely under the distinct stands at the PNE Coliseum since Bono going blonde coincided with his arrival in Vancouver and they all look like they had a loooong rehearsal day. First group photo I've seen on them in close to 6 months, and first time seeing Edge/Adam since the Coldplay/Springsteen TV gig. I'm still wondering where the live action video screen will be it doesn't appear that the "video wall" will have them form my limited vantage point - or maybe that will be in place during the final week of rehearsals.

CANOE -- JAM! - U2's manager offers tour preview
-Any forum members here know how to find my original post from 3rd week of March in 2005 when I dropped that rehearsal setlist?

Thanks for your contributions to this thread U2FP, and all others that have posted...I just finished reading the whole thread and I am getting psyched for the shows in Montreal! Looking forward to following the thread now as we get closer to opening night!

Sent from my GT-N5110 using U2 Interference mobile app

I would actually enjoy One if it was done with strings. I've never been a fan of the song, but the version from Modena in 1995 is one of their best performances ever.

I may be a big critic of One and think it should have been dropped a long time ago, but I have always said that if it must stick around, it needs a reinvention because by any measure it has got stale. Making it one of the orchestral songs would definitely be a good idea, and I would be perhaps a little less bummed by its constant setlist presence.

I may be a big critic of One and think it should have been dropped a long time ago, but I have always said that if it must stick around, it needs a reinvention because by any measure it has got stale. Making it one of the orchestral songs would definitely be a good idea, and I would be perhaps a little less bummed by its constant setlist presence.

:up: Agree 100%

-Any forum members here know how to find my original post from 3rd week of March in 2005 when I dropped that rehearsal setlist?

Go to the search feature, search just your posts, and select it to only search the Vertigo Tour forums, sorted from oldest to newest, and the posts show up. Some samples:

This post includes RTSS, Zoo Station, and The Fly: http://www.u2interference.com/forum...youre-killing-me-here-118410.html#post2205175

Here's a massive one that's basically a full setlist: http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f274/fri-march-18-any-rehearsals-118502.html#post2209213

Was just sent an email from another big fan that it was a short 4 song "set" tonight. All repeats, but starting the same SOI song 3 nights in a row looks like they decided their opening song well in advance for the first time since 2001. I'll keep in under wraps for a few more days but I've told Axver PM.

2 nights in a row have had the Better/Desire transition(Larry on kit for both) which is going to a be a killer 1-2 punch early in the set.

Time for a U2Gigs update

2 nights in a row have had the Better/Desire transition(Larry on kit for both) which is going to a be a killer 1-2 punch early in the set.

Sounds incredible. Thx for the updates!

So are EBTTRT/Desire #3 and #4 in the set list?

Was just sent an email from another big fan that it was a short 4 song "set" tonight. All repeats, but starting the same SOI song 3 nights in a row looks like they decided their opening song well in advance for the first time since 2001. I'll keep in under wraps for a few more days but I've told Axver PM.

Time for a U2Gigs update
Thanks Peter! I wish it was opening night already.

U2 played 8 songs from Achtung Baby to open the first leg shows of the ZOO TV tour. No one walked out and some even said these were the best shows of ZOO TV.

U2 played 8 songs from Achtung Baby to open the first leg shows of the ZOO TV tour. No one walked out and some even said these were the best shows of ZOO TV.

You do understand that Achtung Baby and 1992 was a completely different kettle of fish to Songs of Innocence and 2015, don't you?

You do understand that Achtung Baby and 1992 was a completely different kettle of fish to Songs of Innocence and 2015, don't you?

Actually, I see more of a reason for doing this with Songs of Innocence than Achtung Baby. Achtung Baby was already a massive seller and hit before the first ZOO TV show even happened. Songs were getting played all over the radio in America. It was already the center of attention.
Unfortunately, Songs of Innocence has been dead in the water since October. Radio and other media won't even touch it. A heavy focus on the album during the show is probably the only way the band is going to get fans and others to focus on it, notice it, play it, talk about it, etc.
I heard originally they felt the new songs were so strong that they could kick out a lot of the old stuff from the set list. I was hoping that would still be the case. I've seen U2 23 times and while I love the old stuff, it is the new songs that I'm foaming at the mouth for.

Do you even go to many concerts? Play a long run of songs the crowd doesn't know, and you don't persuade them to buy or care about an album - you lose their attention entirely.

You can sometimes get away with a lot of unfamiliarity in really small club venues when you're an underground band and everybody in attendance is either a total music nut in general, a total nut for this little obscure band in particular, or both. But when you're playing to 20,000 people, many of whom are there to hear their favourites and only know the hits, you have to be judicious in how you present the deeper cuts. You can win them over - see The Electric Co. on Vertigo - but you don't do that by belting them around the head with an hour of unfamiliar material.

But let's not get too off-topic here. This is not perhaps the right thread.

New York Times: Intermission confirmed.
Fixed first half set, followed by a changed up second half.

Wow that New York Times article was great, new song titles from songs of experience as a bonus!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom