Poowong, Victoria Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The post-punk influence is just pointless. It's an excuse to sound bored and not give a shit. They hit on the best of their sound when they focus on pop melodies. Not that you can hear them over the willfully awful production.

Emeralds is like post-rock video game music. Don't set your expectations too high and you'll probably get something out of it. Doesn't hold a candle to Four Tet's amazing new album, but it occupies similar territory.

I was doing 2010 post-punk as one of my genre listening projects, but I just got bored. The album by Women wasn't the only one out there using post-punk as an excuse to sound bored, put it that way. Honestly it looks like there are some damn good 2010 post-punk albums that I haven't got around to, but there's just so much out there that it's been largely squeezed out, and I've been more excited by new territory like chillwave.

Will give both Emeralds and Four Tet a spin. Listening to Frightened Rabbit now, as far as today's recs go.

I'm not ashamed to admit that the quality of these songs alone could push me to vote for you, particularly if you get rid of Pearl Jam. Since when did you get into Husker Du?! I was going to use Psychic Chasms too, that or Terminally Chill.

Thanks, thought you'd especially like the bit around 27-31. As for HD, I downloaded New Day Rising a while back ... it's still all I've listened to, which is clearly something I need to rectify.

For me, the Neon Indian toss-up was between Psychic Chasms and Deadbeat Summer. Was surprised to hear the latter in the pre-show music at U2!

This dude's pic on RYM is so awful I'm tempted to not even bother.

I can't believe you haven't listened to Causers Of This yet! You barely have any rights to claim the title of elitist hipster scum. :tsk:

Admittedly, the opening duo of Blessa/Minors is far and away the best part of the album.

I can't stand the new Frightened Rabbit. Their earlier stuff had some emotion, and communicated feelings and shit that you could connect with when in the right mood. The new one though...man, it's so slick. It's their "oh, I'm over everything she did to me but because I have to make sadsack music I'll hedge my bets and make a boring album" album.

YouTube - frightened rabbit - the modern leper

This, however, is SO fucking good.

I downloaded New Day Rising a while back ... it's still all I've listened to, which is clearly something I need to rectify.

I love New Day Rising, but can't stand Zen Arcade. Not sure where I fall with this band, so I'm sticking with Sugar. You should check them out; Copper Blue was love at first distorted hook.

Thanks, thought you'd especially like the bit around 27-31. As for HD, I downloaded New Day Rising a while back ... it's still all I've listened to, which is clearly something I need to rectify.

For me, the Neon Indian toss-up was between Psychic Chasms and Deadbeat Summer. Was surprised to hear the latter in the pre-show music at U2!

I think you'll very much enjoy checking out the rest of Husker's back catalogue, in the "I envy you and wish I could experience it again" sort of way. NDR always contests with Zen Arcade and Flip Your Wig as my favourite album of theirs. Candy Apple Grey is their weakest IMO, but it still has two great songs each from Grant Hart and Bob Mould.

Wow, I had no idea about that, but I haven't really been following U2 as of late. Even if they came to Adelaide I probably wouldn't have been able to go anyway due to money situations, so their Aussie tour was a bit lose/lose for me. I've barely listened to them this year anyway, though Party Girl came up on my iPod the other day and I enjoyed it.

I love New Day Rising, but can't stand Zen Arcade. Not sure where I fall with this band, so I'm sticking with Sugar. You should check them out; Copper Blue was love at first distorted hook.

Have you listened to Hart's "Intolerance" and Mould's solo stuff at all? You might like them both if you prefer Sugar to Husker. Mould's is extremely hit and miss, though.

Got to say, the new Frightened Rabbit was solid but unremarkable. Done well but not tremendously affecting. 3/5.

I think you'll very much enjoy checking out the rest of Husker's back catalogue, in the "I envy you and wish I could experience it again" sort of way. NDR always contests with Zen Arcade and Flip Your Wig as my favourite album of theirs. Candy Apple Grey is their weakest IMO, but it still has two great songs each from Grant Hart and Bob Mould.

Wow, I had no idea about that, but I haven't really been following U2 as of late. Even if they came to Adelaide I probably wouldn't have been able to go anyway due to money situations, so their Aussie tour was a bit lose/lose for me. I've barely listened to them this year anyway, though Party Girl came up on my iPod the other day and I enjoyed it.

I think once I'm done with my current 2010 Listening Binge, I'll get onto the Hüsker catch-up. Might as well do it simultaneously, really. I've lately been breaking up 2010 listening with some further exploration of post-punk (goddamn The Chameleons rule my world), and some nostalgia listening ... yes, 1990s Aussie rock is just as bad as you remember it being. Not sure why I bothered but it was a fun nostalgia trip all the same.

I honestly don't feel like you've missed too much this tour, but that's obviously an unpopular opinion on this forum.

So, I am listening to a thrashy death metal band from Port Pirie, South Australia. They have song titles like Live Or Decay, Drowning Yourself In Blood, Buried In Hell, and Whore.

Bonnie, it sounds exactly how you would expect it to sound.

So, I am listening to a thrashy death metal band from Port Pirie, South Australia. They have song titles like Live Or Decay, Drowning Yourself In Blood, Buried In Hell, and Whore.

Worse than Brokencyde?

Worse than Brokencyde?

Nah, not even close.

They can at least write songs, I've heard much worse metal. Problem is, every song's the same, and the song was first made in about 1988 in Scandinavia.

OK, I'm about to pass out now, so I'll be piking.

@ Bonnie, for the Husker-related recs: I expect to like the solo projects more and had no idea where to turn.

@ Ax, I see your post-punk marathon did not take you as far as These New Puritans. Their album from back in January won the NME album of the year distinction, so I listened again and found it has grown on me immensely. Great beats...the drums seem to come at you from all directions, and their woodwinds immerse you. Not sure how I feel about the songs though...so...3.5? I think that's fair.

:wave: Anyways, good night.

I had no idea there was a music scene in Port Pirie, and I'm still not convinced there is one.

LM, did you not notice the second-to-last song in my DI list? :wink:

Hidden is currently sitting on 3.5/5 for me. Quite an interesting piece of work, if not a candidate for "classic" status.

Have a good night! :wave:

So I just found an Aussie black metal band with the best band name ever.

Aasdgoihasdghexekul.

Yep.

Nah, not even close.

They can at least write songs, I've heard much worse metal. Problem is, every song's the same, and the song was first made in about 1988 in Scandinavia.

And that's half the length of time that AC/DC have been releasing the same song for.

Hey, Ashley, whenever you're around, I see what you mean about that Stars album. God, there are some brilliant songs on there (though the guy's rather unnecessary). But also a handful of clunkers, especially We Don't Want Your Body. Wavering between 3.5 and 4.

This new Emeralds album is nice and all, but halfway through and I'm not really seeing the cause for all the hype. I've heard better post-rock and ambient albums.

Re: DI, When I saw Ax and Travis' lists my immediate reaction was, "Those bastards are trying to win Bonnie's vote" :lol:

Finally, North Star :heart:

Part of me really wants to buy a GA for tomorrow (tonight??) but i don't really wanna put up with queenslands bogans again! :nooffence:

Hey, Ashley, whenever you're around, I see what you mean about that Stars album. God, there are some brilliant songs on there (though the guy's rather unnecessary). But also a handful of clunkers, especially We Don't Want Your Body. Wavering between 3.5 and 4.

Just noticed this.

The funny thing about "We Don't Want Your Body" is that I hated it until I saw them live and now it's one of my favorite songs by them.

Here's my post about seeing them live because I think I explained it better here than I did in what I just deleted in this message :lol:
http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f221/stars-178132-4.html#post6888193

Just noticed this.

The funny thing about "We Don't Want Your Body" is that I hated it until I saw them live and now it's one of my favorite songs by them.

Here's my post about seeing them live because I think I explained it better here than I did in what I just deleted in this message :lol:
http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f221/stars-178132-4.html#post6888193

Heh, I get you.

Just wish the whole album was as good as the opening tracks ... I'm still wavering about whether to give it 3.5 or 4. Probably will fall on the side of the latter.

Emeralds had some good stuff at the end, almost good enough to push it up to 3.5.

Oh I agree, though I love the closer.

I didn't hate Emeralds or something, but Jesus, Drowned in Sound!

Vlad n U 2 said:
Are QLD bogans really that bad? :D

They were pretty bad up until a couple of songs into the U2 set..and most of jay-z as well. Meh.

I'm sure the Melbourne ones were just as bad, I just didn't run into any of them!

Oh I agree, though I love the closer.

I didn't hate Emeralds or something, but Jesus, Drowned in Sound!

Yeah, the last two tracks are probably the two best there; it's just there's too much of fairly unremarkable atmospheric stuff beforehand. Don't know what DIS are on about, though still, credit to them for not putting something really cliche at #1.

Are QLD bogans really that bad? :D

Oh you better believe it. The heat up there does funny things to your brain.

I have a migraine. Debating whether to go home or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom