Poowong, Victoria Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No. And after the latest single, I can't bring myself to listen to it. I mean, have you heard that monstrosity yet?

I'm pretty sure it's almost entirely hers. I know she writes the lyrics.

I listened to it last night and I'm giving it a generous 3.5 right now, because it just didn't stick to me at all when I heard it. HOWEVER, I was sick as a dog and exhausted when I heard it so...

No, no I haven't. Avoid at all costs?

Ah, cool. It's too easy to be skeptical these days, hence the question.

I'm going to give Clinging To A Scheme a couple more spins before settling on much of an opinion. It didn't blow me away but it seemed like there were some nice songs, and some passages that could really grow on me with more than just a cursory listen. Fucked if I know why it's on the 2010 chillwave chart on RYM at present though.

The second half of High Violet (let's count Bloodbuzz as part of it) >>>>>>>>>>>> first.

And other National albums >>>>>>>> High Violet anyhow.

I has a sad since "terrible Love" is my favorite song on there.

oh I'm passing out.

But look, it' 9:30, finally an ok time for me to go to sleep

It's not bad or anything, quite capable really, but ... I don't know, I think it's mainly that I think the vocals are rather a weak point. We'll see how I go with this.

Heh, sleep well. :wave:

Travis,I'm too tirde, tell him about how Bruno Mars will take a bullet to his brain.

Good night folks.

The second half of High Violet (let's count Bloodbuzz as part of it) >>>>>>>>>>>> first.

And other National albums >>>>>>>> High Violet anyhow.

Just up to Bloodbuzz now. Afraid Of Everyone = best song so far.

You got any recs to add to Ashley's?

People? No.

Bands? Yes. Unfortunately, the music side of MySpace remains the best form of social networking (or page in lieu of a proper website) for many bands. For all its failings, it's still a good way to find out about a band's recent activity and forthcoming gigs.

Ah, at least it has something going for it.

I don't know, it's a pretty inoffensive form of crap.

Travis,I'm too tirde, tell him about how Bruno Mars will take a bullet to his brain.

Good night folks.

Oh yeah, she's speaking of Grenade, the twisted sequel to Bruno Mars' sequel to Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows. Turns out the girl he thought was so amazing is a total bitch that doesn't care about him, in spite of his creepy-ass obsession with her.

I'LL WALK INTO A TRAAAAAAAAAAAAAIN 4 YA

Not impressed, Ax? I'm sure you would do that for anyone.

I'LL PUT MY HAND ON A BLADE 4 YA

Emo posturing? OK.

I'LL SHOOT A BULLET INTO MY BRAIN 4 YA

Um, well, I don't see what positive impact that could have on the relationship. Shit.

And it's on the radio all the time now.

Oh yeah, she's speaking of Grenade, the twisted sequel to Bruno Mars' sequel to Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows. Turns out the girl he thought was so amazing is a total bitch that doesn't care about him, in spite of his creepy-ass obsession with her.

I'LL WALK INTO A TRAAAAAAAAAAAAAIN 4 YA

Not impressed, Ax? I'm sure you would do that for anyone.

I'LL PUT MY HAND ON A BLADE 4 YA

Emo posturing? OK.

I'LL SHOOT A BULLET INTO MY BRAIN 4 YA

Um, well, I don't see what positive impact that could have on the relationship. Shit.

And it's on the radio all the time now.

What the hell is that shit. I wonder how morbidly curious I am.

Well, will have to put off that wonderment briefly. Charlotte's stealing me away from the computer for a few.

Well, will have to put off that wonderment briefly. Charlotte's stealing me away from the computer for a few.

Go easy on her now.

So, what's the deal with Chillwave? I heard Washed Out's Life of Leisure EP yesterday and thought it was great, but I can't help but think it's got to be the most accessible genre ever for aspiring songwriters. Play some moody chords on a keyboard, record it to a cassette, put it in the sun for a week and BAM: indie sensation. I would love to hear a Chillwave album longer than 30 minutes and fleshed out with decipherable vocals, but I'm beginning to think it's just not possible, like it's against some code somewhere.

You're meant to get some wet weather and possible storms tonight, aren't you?

And I take it the weather's not much different than when we were up there in November?

The forecast has said "few showers and 28" since we got here, which has been accurate... No sign of any storms, alas!

So yeah, pretty much the same as last month. With the added bonus that I haven't been drenched yet! :D

So, what's the deal with Chillwave? I heard Washed Out's Life of Leisure EP yesterday and thought it was great, but I can't help but think it's got to be the most accessible genre ever for aspiring songwriters. Play some moody chords on a keyboard, record it to a cassette, put it in the sun for a week and BAM: indie sensation. I would love to hear a Chillwave album longer than 30 minutes and fleshed out with decipherable vocals, but I'm beginning to think it's just not possible, like it's against some code somewhere.

Oh yeah, no doubt about that. Look at the genre's leaders; pretty much all of them were just a guy recording lo-fi synthy shit with half-indecipherable vocals in their bedroom (Washed Out, Toro Y Moi, Neon Indian, Ducktails, etc.) and now they're indie darlings doing tours with full bands.

I actually prefer the shorter albums though. I reckon they pack more of a punch just through being concise. Blackbird Blackbird put out a 40 minute album and it's honestly a bit boring ... then again, they (he, I presume) isn't the best chillwave act anyway, and I doubt a 15 minute EP would be much more exciting.

BTW, Ax, I absolutely love the tentative DI list you sent me. Baffled that it's coming from you, but this year of music listening has treated you well. I approve. Count me as the first (and hopefully not last) intending to listen. :up:

Finished 2,138 words on Hemingway. :hyper: Time to knock one more essay out before bed and call it a day.

BTW, Ax, I absolutely love the tentative DI list you sent me. Baffled that it's coming from you, but this year of music listening has treated you well. I approve. Count me as the first (and hopefully not last) intending to listen. :up:

Awesome, thanks. Still some parts really need a tweak, like the noise pop section I think is poorly ordered (the Japandroids song can probably go), and there are still a few songs vying for contention ... I keep getting hooked on I'll Get To You by Seja, which if I include it will just heighten the bafflement. Look it up on YouTube.

You reviewed Women's album, right, Ax?

It's terribly mediocre. Penal Colony is a good track, but even that one is just a touch too slow. The others have just annoyed me.

Listen to Emeralds' new one if you haven't, BTW. Won album of the year from Drowned In Sound, and I found it quite gorgeous, albeit not terribly substantial.

No shit, I'm considering making my own chillwave album for the hell of it. It's incredibly cheap, but at the same time it's the sort of music I feel like I've waited my whole life to listen to, so I love it nonetheless.

I am still contesting whether I'll do anything for the new DI, but it'd be interesting to see your list, Ax.

Gotta agree on Women's album, Travis.

I am still contesting whether I'll do anything for the new DI, but it'd be interesting to see your list, Ax.

Oh fuck, you have to see what I've cooked up. PMing now. Although I'm tempted to post it here since only a handful participating read the Superthread.

EDIT: Yeah, I'll just do that.

You'd better at least vote, Bonnie:

1. Michael Jackson - Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough
2. Funkadelic - One Nation Under A Groove
3. Beastie Boys - Hey Ladies
4. De La Soul - Change In Speak
5. Todd Rundgren - Wolfman Jack
6. Wilson Pickett - In The Midnight Hour
7. The Supremes - Back In My Arms Again
8. The Spinners - It's A Shame
9. Stevie Wonder - My Cherie Amour
10. Smokey Robinson And The Miracles - The Tracks of My Tears
11. The Four Tops - Baby I Need Your Lovin'
12. Aretha Franklin - Never Loved A Man The Way I Love You
13. James Carr - The Dark End of The Street
14. Isaac Hayes - Walk On By
15. Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings - The Game Gets Old
16. Kanye West - Touch The Sky
17. Daft Punk - One More Time
18. The Streets - Blinded By The Lights
19. Madonna - Get Together
20. Gorillaz - DARE
21. Crystal Castles - Suffocation
22. Robyn - Dancing On My Own
23. Cut Copy - Lights And Music (single version)
24. Neon Neon - Raquel
25. Hercules And Love Affair - Blind
26. LCD Soundsystem - Tribulations
27. The Go! Team - Ladyflash
28. Neon Indian - Deadbeat Summer
29. Annie - Heartbeat
30. MGMT - Electric Feel
31. Lupe Fiasco - Sunshine
32. Outkast - ScottieOttieDopalicious
33. Notorious B.I.G. - Big Poppa
34. Common - Faithful
35. Nas - Memory Lane
36. Jay-Z - Feelin' It
37. The Roots - You Got Me
38. Erykah Badu - Window Seat
39. Massive Attack - Unfinished Sympathy

I figured, at the very least, it's the kind of list that no one else has done yet: 100% fun times. If it bombs, I don't give a shit at this point. Winning twice feels obnoxious enough as it is.

You reviewed Women's album, right, Ax?

It's terribly mediocre. Penal Colony is a good track, but even that one is just a touch too slow. The others have just annoyed me.

Listen to Emeralds' new one if you haven't, BTW. Won album of the year from Drowned In Sound, and I found it quite gorgeous, albeit not terribly substantial.

I didn't review it publicly, but this my comment on it in a private list that'll probably never see the light of day: "Most tracks struck me as mediocre indie rock with a post-punk influence. Drag Open wasn't a bad track, but otherwise ... I got bored." So in other words, I totally agree with you and Bonnie.

And I've been meaning to get around to that Emeralds album. It looks interesting. Though that Drowned In Sound top albums list was tremendously hit-and-miss.

I share LM's logic, so I'm posting my draft list for anyone interested. Some sections don't flow terribly well and will be tweaked, and it's eight minutes long so a couple of things are going to have to be cut by necessity.

LM, I ... am skeptical about your list. It'll be an interesting listen for me, that's for sure.

My list:

1. The Chameleons: Don't Fall
2. Amesoeurs: Les Ruches Malades
3. Swervedriver: Last Train To Satansville
4. Whipping Boy: Users
5. Tamaryn: The Waves
6. Soundpool: Mirrors In Your Eyes
7. Blue Hawaii: Dream Electrixra
8. The Depreciation Guild: My Chariot
9. Built To Spill: Else
10. Cloud Control: My Fear #2
11. The Go-Betweens: Was There Anything I Could Do?
12. The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart: Stay Alive
13. The Church: Electric Lash
14. Alpine: Villages
15. Adorable: Sunshine Smile
16. Les Discrets: L'échapée
17. Crocodiles: Mirrors
18. Hüsker Dü: Girl Who Lives On Heaven Hill
19. Japandroids: Art Czars [on the verge of being cut]
20. Dinosaur Jr: Kracked
21. A Place To Bury Strangers: Don't Think Lover
22. Ceremony: Marianne
23. Maybeshewill: How To Have Sex With A Ghost
24. Kyuss: Demon Cleaner
25. Beaches: Horizon
26. Phantogram: Mouthful Of Diamonds
27. Memoryhouse: To The Lighthouse
28. Salmonella Dub: Longtime
29. Neon Indian: Psychic Chasms
30. Toro Y Moi: Blessa
31. Washed Out: Feel It All Around
32. Headless Chickens: Cruise Control (Eskimos In Egypt Mix)
33. Manic Street Preachers: If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next
34. Film School: Heart Full Of Pentagrams
35. Sugar Army: No Need For Lovers
36. Surfer Blood: Anchorage
37. Pearl Jam: Once [on the verge of being cut]
38. These New Puritans: White Chords
39. Silversun Pickups: Common Reactor

I didn't review it publicly, but this my comment on it in a private list that'll probably never see the light of day: "Most tracks struck me as mediocre indie rock with a post-punk influence. Drag Open wasn't a bad track, but otherwise ... I got bored." So in other words, I totally agree with you and Bonnie.

And I've been meaning to get around to that Emeralds album. It looks interesting. Though that Drowned In Sound top albums list was tremendously hit-and-miss.

The post-punk influence is just pointless. It's an excuse to sound bored and not give a shit. They hit on the best of their sound when they focus on pop melodies. Not that you can hear them over the willfully awful production.

Emeralds is like post-rock video game music. Don't set your expectations too high and you'll probably get something out of it. Doesn't hold a candle to Four Tet's amazing new album, but it occupies similar territory.

3. Swervedriver: Last Train To Satansville
18. Hüsker Dü: Girl Who Lives On Heaven Hill
27. Memoryhouse: To The Lighthouse
29. Neon Indian: Psychic Chasms
30. Toro Y Moi: Blessa
31. Washed Out: Feel It All Around

I'm not ashamed to admit that the quality of these songs alone could push me to vote for you, particularly if you get rid of Pearl Jam. Since when did you get into Husker Du?! I was going to use Psychic Chasms too, that or Terminally Chill.

Obviously a great list as well, LeMel. Honestly, both of your lists have a bit of overlapping with mine, so I'm not sure what option I'll take.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom