Plock, Poland Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope to see you soon, Renato! I've really missed talking with you. :wave:

Not much. Thinking of starting on my epic mission to catalogue every instance of Hear Us Coming.

(I've decided to simply title it Hear Us Coming rather than Do You Hear Us Coming?, since it's shorter and doesn't require a question mark.)

Not much. Thinking of starting on my epic mission to catalogue every instance of Hear Us Coming.

(I've decided to simply title it Hear Us Coming rather than Do You Hear Us Coming?, since it's shorter and doesn't require a question mark.)

I've told you before I'd do it if it came down to it. I want to know how often it occurs.

I'm just digging up all my discs of bootlegs ... some seem to have taken a walk. I'll see how I go. I will probably need some help. Any you can point out saves me time!

I'm just digging up all my discs of bootlegs ... some seem to have taken a walk. I'll see how I go. I will probably need some help. Any you can point out saves me time!

righto!

So would you count that first night of the tour, out of curiosity? It was, I believe, and attempt, one in which he completely FORGOT the lyrics, of course.

Didn't he sing some lyrics about Barcelona to Hear Us Coming's melody? I don't think I'll count that.

Just checking early Zoo boots, and I'd forgotten that at the first few shows, he sung some OTHER extra lyrics, really passionate stuff.

Didn't he sing some lyrics about Barcelona to Hear Us Coming's melody? I don't think I'll count that.

Just checking early Zoo boots, and I'd forgotten that at the first few shows, he sung some OTHER extra lyrics, really passionate stuff.

REALLY? Any shows from that time period you'd reccomend?

These other extra lyrics are definitely a Hear Us Coming precursor. I just caught "do you hear me knocking?" in Atlanta, 1992-03-05, but pretty much everything else is different.

REALLY? Any shows from that time period you'd reccomend?

The show I just mentioned, 1992-03-05, Atlanta, has one of the most passionate Bullets ever. Sound quality is lacking, but the band goes off. Bono loses his shit at the end.

Outside it's America!
Outside it's America!
Outside it's America!
Outside it's America!
??? [screamed lines I can't make out - maybe "push it up, America/Atlanta, Georgia, America/that's you!"?]
Alright, check it out!
Shut the fuck up!
Shut the fuck up!
Shut the fuck up!
Shut the fuck up!
Bring down that sucker!

I think probably the only Bullet that tops Atlanta is 1993-08-11, London, during the Bosnian crisis.

Outside it's America!
Outside it's America!
Americaaaa, where the fuck are you?
United Kingdom, where the fuck are you?
Fuck you, France!
Fuck you, Germany!
Zoonited Nations!
Zoonited Nations!

OK, even by the "Pizza For Everybody" Detroit gig on 1992-03-27, Bono wasn't doing Hear Us Coming, but the earlier, less well formed verse (though I don't seem to have anything between 07/03 and 27/03). However, he does it quite identifiably in Minneapolis on 1992-03-30, although it isn't as fully formed as we normally know it.

I think probably the only Bullet that tops Atlanta is 1993-08-11, London, during the Bosnian crisis.

Outside it's America!
Outside it's America!
Americaaaa, where the fuck are you?
United Kingdom, where the fuck are you?
Fuck you, France!
Fuck you, Germany!
Zoonited Nations!
Zoonited Nations!

:sigh: It'd be redundent to say I miss that side of Bono, but I'll do it anyways.

OK, even by the "Pizza For Everybody" Detroit gig on 1992-03-27, Bono wasn't doing Hear Us Coming, but the earlier, less well formed verse (though I don't seem to have anything between 07/03 and 27/03). However, he does it quite identifiably in Minneapolis on 1992-03-30, although it isn't as fully formed as we normally know it.

I see a "History of a Snippet" article coming :wink:

:sigh: It'd be redundent to say I miss that side of Bono, but I'll do it anyways.

Wouldn't it be great if they took the stage in London and did a big "fuck you Burma!" Walk On?

I see a "History of a Snippet" article coming :wink:

:laugh:

That could be entertaining. I'd also be tempted to chronicle YEAAAAHHHH WE'LL SHINE LIKE STARS IN THE SUMMER NIGHT!

Wouldn't it be great if they took the stage in London and did a big "fuck you Burma!" Walk On?

:laugh:

That could be entertaining. I'd also be tempted to chronicle YEAAAAHHHH WE'LL SHINE LIKE STARS IN THE SUMMER NIGHT!

have they made any comment since she was sentenced?

Simply state that it needs LWTUA and walk away.

OK, Ashley, 1992-03-31, Chicago - doesn't have Hear Us Coming, but it doesn't have the early verse either. It has a bit of improv.

1992-04-07, Austin is my second confirmed Hear Us Coming sighting. It's early.

Do you hear me coming?
Do you hear me call?
Do you lift me lover or make me crawl?
Do you hear me coming luh?
Do you hear me call?
Do you hear me breaking down the door
Breaking down, breaking down

I'm going to be so fucking sick of even Hear Us Coming when this is done.

It's alright at the moment, especially because it's interesting noticing how the verse evolved and some of the early lines.

But I remember how things ended the last time I did a big batch of snippet-checking ... :crack:

The LA and Vancouver gigs in mid-April 1992 mention "Lord".

OK, just found my 1992-03-20, New York boot ... I don't know whether to count this or not. Ah yes, this has to count. It's very, very early, but it does have "do you hear me coming?" and is sung to the correct melody, correct timing, correct amount of lines.

This is my best transcription of the New York verse:

Do you hear me coming?
Do you step outside?
??? love
To the end of the line
Do you hear me coming?
???
Do you make ??? [my soul?]
???

God, what a mess. But if I had a more identifiable Hear Us Coming dated earlier, I wouldn't hesitate to call this, so why should I now, just because it's the earliest? There are heaps of other shows between 1992-03-07 and 1992-03-20 that I need to find and check anyway.

All it makes me think of is a book by Venedikt Erofeev, Moscow To The End Of The Line.

Oh god, 1992-05-09, Gent. Another one almost impossible to call.

Hahaha, he fucks up his timing in 1992-05-11, Lyon, but it's closest so far to the Hear Us Coming we know.

This is the Gent motherfucker:

???
And we'll knock it down
And yeah we'll break it
Break it down
Do you hear me singing ???
Yeah we're singing higher
Do you hear me banging Lord?
Banging at your door

I think I'll count it.

Woah, 1992-05-22, Milan, he goes back to the early verse rather than Hear Us Coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom