PLEBA Misc News and Articles #7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
not everyone sits around waiting for them to come out. Some people just want to see their houses just for fun. I've been to Bono's in Dublin and Edge's in Malibu but I would have died if either had come out of the house. I would never approach them or bother them in anyway or even take pics for that matter. I just wanted to see the houses but that's it. If I want to meet them then I'll find a way before a U2 concert when they expect their fans will want to meet them.

Well exactly, that's all I did when I visited Bono's home in Dublin back in 2001. My friends and I had gone to Ireland for the Slane Castle concerts and also had a couple of days to do some sight seeing and one day my friends said, lets go for a trip in the country, not letting on where we going, and we got on the Dart going south, got off at Dalkey and it wasn't until I saw that we were walking on the coastal road towards Killeney that I realized where they were taking me!! :wink: It's lovely walk and I recommend it. And when we got there, we just took a few pics and chatted to the security guy who come out the side door, he told us it was the day of Bono's Dad's funeral and as soon as we saw the black cars coming, we were off! Didn't want to intrude!!

i don't understand why people feel the need to go hang out outside their homes - i think it's a real invasion of privacy - it would totally drive me nuts... must be horrible to feel trapped in your own home knowing there's folks outside who want something from you the whole damn time, even if it's just to catch a glimpse of you in your private space! but i guess that's one of the downsides to their lives...

And Bono is really pissed off people recording music because he always listen to music loud, since years, he makes parties etc.... he's home! Fans have to understand that! Time has changed... They are not quite there as they used to be...

You know that because he told you so, right?

Come one, Bono knows very well that people might listen and record if he plays stuff too loud. When the beach clips leaked, he was the only one that did not seem pissed. It's all tactics, he's not naive. He knows that people put it on the net and discuss it there, so U2 quickly know how fans react and respond to the songs. You make it sound as if Bono is totally stupid.

And yes I DO know that they had to do a lot of work at the houses after they bought them and had to wait years for them to be finished. Bono said in several interviews and books that there was much work in the early 2000s still to be done. I've been there, it's lovely, and I hoped to see B or E there, but I didn't wait or stalk them or spy on them because I considered it a waste of time. When I go to a lovely place I want to enjoy the landscape and atmosphere and not hang around some houses for hours.

Anyway, since you know so much about B and E's life in Eze, I guess you hang around there a lot.

You know that because he told you so, right?

Nope, but better than that he told it on tv to a talkshow host, Michel Denizot at the "Grand Journal" in 2009, maybe you can find it on youtube... The journalist told him that it was his fault if some songs has leacked:huh: Bono answered, pissed off, that when he listens to music with his friend on holydays he couldn't prevent people to record it with cellphones...
I was disgusted to hear that....
When the songs leacked, it was known that the clips have been recorded AT NIGHT, what people doing there at night ?? if not stalking uh?

When the songs leacked, it was known that the clips have been recorded AT NIGHT, what people doing there at night ?? if not stalking uh?

Yeah, because people don't walk around by night in the South of France.

Seriously, I'm really all against stalking and I don't think it's right to hang around the house and invading the family's privacy, still I'm quite sure that Bono is very well aware of people hearing and seeing him, taking pictures and recording stuff, this has been going on for many years.

He didn't sound pissed off to me when he talked about the leaks, more amused, but he said the record company and management weren't happy which is understandable.

Yeah, because people don't walk around by night in the South of France.

Seriously, I'm really all against stalking and I don't think it's right to hang around the house and invading the family's privacy, still I'm quite sure that Bono is very well aware of people hearing and seeing him, taking pictures and recording stuff, this has been going on for many years.

He didn't sound pissed off to me when he talked about the leaks, more amused, but he said the record company and management weren't happy which is understandable.

Ever been there seriously? Walking a tiny stoney beach at night?! I'm talking seriously here, so please...
You'll see, one day they'll move out!!!
Sometimes i imagine myself , tanning in my garden (for example) with a bunch of tramps looking at me from behind the hedge... Same thing here.

i don't understand why people feel the need to go hang out outside their homes - i think it's a real invasion of privacy - it would totally drive me nuts... must be horrible to feel trapped in your own home knowing there's folks outside who want something from you the whole damn time, even if it's just to catch a glimpse of you in your private space! but i guess that's one of the downsides to their lives...

This is something I can relate to. It wasn't because of who we were but because of the house we had moved into. Apparently our house had been planned by some fancy architect. I have no idea who this was but whoever this architect was it must have been someone important enough to get the tourists flocking around our house. :ohmy:
We don't have a fence, a gate and a security guard.....but we have French windows....hurray. It's utterly bizarre to sit by your dinner table and see busses stopping three meters from your (French) windows and then see people coming out taking snapshots.

Thankfully our house is yesterday's news nowadays and frankly it's a boring house. Must have been a boring architect. :scratch:

Ever been there seriously? Walking a tiny stoney beach at night?! I'm talking seriously here, so please...
Sometimes i imagine myself , tanning in my garden (for example) with a bunch of tramps looking at me from behind the hedge... Same thing here.

I can imagine it must be a drag having to always watch out for potential stalkers. I guess it could be either way when it comes to the leaked recording, Bono might have been a bit sloppy not thinking someone might be snooping around at night, or he knew that a leak could increase the publicity and interest.

This is the last time I'll react to your posts.

I think the whole "They're moving out"-stuff is just doom and gloom and totally exaggerated.

And no, it's not the same if you're taking a sunbath in your garden. Why? Because you're not famous. If you were, you could afford to have a house and garden without people looking in.

Looking for news here not arguments!

Here's some:

'Spider-Man' producers, Taymor's union reach deal - Yahoo! News

NEW YORK (AP) — Producers of "Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark" have agreed to pay the Broadway musical's former director and co-book writer Julie Taymor hundreds of thousands of dollars in royalties as part of a settlement that ends one chapter in the two sides' bitter legal dispute.

The Stage Directors and Choreographers Society and the show's producers, 8 Legged Productions LLC, announced the deal Thursday. No amount was officially disclosed but Taymor is owed at least $600,000 so far, based on estimates.

Under the deal, producers have agreed to pay Taymor full royalties as director from the beginning of previews in November 2010 through until the end of the Broadway show, however long that is. According to industry estimates, she would qualify for royalties of about $10,000 per week.

The Tony Award-winner for "The Lion King" was fired in March 2011 after years of delays, accidents, critical backlash and ballooning costs that all pushed the show's price tag to a record-setting $75 million. The settlement also grants Taymor royalties as a collaborator from November 2010 to March 2011, but defers payment to when the production pays back its investors.

The settlement does not end a federal copyright infringement lawsuit brought by Taymor against the producers and a countersuit filed by them against Taymor and her company, LOH Inc.

"The litigation between us is over, and we are hopeful that any remaining issues between the producer and Ms. Taymor regarding her role as author can also be resolved to the satisfaction of all," Karen Azenberg, president of the SDC, said in a statement.

In the settlement announced Thursday, both sides pulled back from litigation just as they were undergoing arbitration proceedings. Producers withdrew claims Taymor had breached her contract as director and agreed to no longer challenge the union's jurisdiction on antitrust grounds in the case.

The two sides also agreed to a compensation package for Taymor if any subsequent productions of "Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark" are staged. Producers have mulled the possibility of touring the show or mounting a production somewhere else, such as Las Vegas.

In a statement, producers Michael Cohl and Jeremiah Harris of 8 Legged Productions, said: "We are very happy to have reached an amicable compromise with the SDC that will allow us all to move on."

In the still-ongoing legal dispute between the two sides, Taymor is seeking half of all profits derived from the sale or license of any rights in the original "Spider-Man" book. It also seeks a jury trial to determine her share of profits from the unauthorized use of her version of the superhero story, which the lawsuit said was believed to be in excess of $1 million.

The producers, for their part, responded that she "caused numerous delays, drove up costs, and failed to direct a musical about Spider-Man that could open on Broadway." Her version of the superhero story, they assert, bears little resemblance to the show that is currently playing at the Foxwoods Theatre.

Charles Spada, an attorney for Taymor, had no comment on Thursday's settlement.

After Taymor left the show, Philip William McKinley, who directed the Hugh Jackman musical "The Boy From Oz" in 2003, was hired to take over. He was billed as creative consultant when the musical opened. Only Taymor will be considered eligible for the show's Tony Award for the best direction of a musical category.

The stunt-heavy show has been doing brisk business ever since it opened its doors with Taymor at the helm in 2009 and most weeks easily grosses more than the $1.2 million its producers have indicated they need to reach to stay viable. Over the Christmas holiday, the show earned the highest single-week gross of any show in Broadway history.

Laura Penn, executive director of the Stage Directors and Choreographers Society, hailed the settlement as one that frees Taymor from the headache and cost of another lawsuit. "She should be making art, not litigating," she said in an interview Thursday.

:applaud:
___

:up: great news for Taymor, but a little concerned about:

but defers payment to when the production pays back its investors

because exactly how long is that going to take?

Good for Edge to take part in such a project, but personally I just hate tv formats like that, simply because our channels are full with stuff like that and it's very controversial because they are basically making use of poor and disadvantaged people's fate to gain ratings. Some of it is pretty much staged and not authentic at all. There is a very emotional discussion going on in my country about a programme that is dealing basically with the same issues than the one that MTV is producing and most people say it's not about helping the young people who come from troubled backgrounds, but about putting on a show by making use of their personal tragedies. There are people who are not therapists or professionals who could really help and assist those people but instead only people interested in ratings, fame and money who are actually exploiting them. I am kind of allergic to these kind of shows because there's so much crap going on on tv and I don't think you can help someone in trouble by dragging them in front of a camera.

Nothing against Edge, I'm sure he has the best intentions and a good heart,he's a great person, it's just the format that I'm questioning.

:up:Ya, I know what you mean. Reality tv shows here in the US are like train wrecks. People watch them even though they are staged and situations are provoked for reactions and "drama".
I do think here in the US there is a difference between "reality" freak shows and the true documentary where serious journalists/activits convey a story that may never see the light of day here in America, on our evening news save for a quick 2 minute clip and then the subject is changed. Documentaries are looked at seriously, like the ones on PBS. (Public Television)
I do agree though that there are shows that exploit people and use the situation for monetary gain via ratings. Shows here like Toddler and Tiaras or Hoarders ( people that live in filth that can't throw anything away) are very exploitive and morally questionable IMO.

I think this documentary The Break sounds like a good egg. It doesn't seem to be exploiting people, rather it seems from the clip to be informative and enlightening. People in this country don't know what's happening unless it's on TV and that can good and that can be bad propaganda wise. But if it takes MTV to get the message out there about troubled youth in this nation than so be it! :) I know MTV has had other documentaries that have won acclaim in the past. I was surprised to see, after watching the trailer that it was going to be MTV. I was expecting HBO or something like that!

Back
Top Bottom