PLEBA Misc News and Articles #4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U2’s Bono Jokes About Medvedev’s Taste in Music

24 August 2010
The Moscow Times

Irish group U2 will fly down to Sochi to meet President Dmitry Medvedev on Tuesday, a day before their first concert in Russia.

The group is set to discuss their anti-poverty campaign Red with the president, although frontman Bono joked about canceling the meeting after hearing that Medvedev was a Deep Purple fan.

“What kind of music does he like? They say he is a Beatle-maniac … Is that true?” Bono asked at a news conference late Sunday, national newspapers reported.

“That’s it. I’m gone,” Bono said, pretending to stand up and go when told by journalists that the president was a big Deep Purple fan. “I’m canceling the meeting.”

At the same time, the rest of the group started humming the riff to “Smoke on the Water,” the veteran rock group’s most famous song, Kommersant reported.

“No, we prefer The Beatles,” Bono said. “I think even Deep Purple prefers The Beatles.”

When asked about U2’s constant campaigning on various issues and the public’s sometimes limited appetite for the group’s causes, Bono said, “I understand the people who respond with, ‘Shut up.’”

“I’m really good at rescuing cats from trees,” bassist Adam Clayton noted at the time.

The group flew into Vnukovo-3, the state airport usually reserved for the government and official foreign guests, on Sunday evening together with their families.

“We want to go shopping, go to the popular places and the war memorials,” Bono said in an interview on Ren-TV. “You’re the lads who saved Europe. And I am proud that we are performing in front of such people. I have always liked the bravery of the Russian people.”

The group headed for a news conference at the Kamin restaurant at Chistiye Prudy, where Bono tried to order a local beer. But when told the place had none, he drank a Guinness and flattered the home audience with the words, “We pretend that we are a great rock group, but as long as we had not played in Russia, that is not true.”

Bono said his wife and children had gone to see the ballet, “Sleeping Beauty.” Organizers said the group planned to visit the Tretyakov Gallery, Red Square, the Kremlin and Dasha Zhukova’s modern art center, Garazh.

The U2 concert, part of their “360” tour, involves a circular stage that looks like a giant alien spider robot — and one of the largest sets in rock history. More than 200 trucks are needed to transport the set.

Part of the concert, Bono promised, will involved a linkup with the international space station and in particular with cosmonaut Roman Romanenko. The group previously spoke to him at a concert last year.

“He had such an amazing haircut,” Bono said.

During the live linkup, Romanenko said: “I want to ask you see something. If you see David Gahan from Depeche Mode, say a big hello from me.”

Local U2 fans who have been waiting for the group to come for more than two decades have prepared a green welcome for the group. “I bet all of us know that the green color and the shamrock are international symbols of Ireland. We in Russia want to welcome our favorite Irish band with these symbols and create a green shamrock field at the stadium for the opening U2 song,” fan organizers wrote on the U2 fan site, U2.ru. “If you have seats or aren’t planning to stand close, you are encouraged to just take something green with you and wave it from the moment [drummer] Larry [Mullen Jr.] appears on stage till the end of the first song.”

Fans will have a party at Radio City near the Mayakovskaya metro station on Tuesday, the eve of the concert.

U2 plays the Luzhniki stadium at 7.30 p.m. on Wednesday. 24 Luzhnetskata Naberezhnaya. Metro Sportivnaya. Tel. 730-7300. Tickets cost 1,500 to 8,000 rubles.

U2�s Bono Jokes About Medvedev�s Taste in Music | Arts & Ideas | The Moscow Times

“That’s it. I’m gone,” Bono said, pretending to stand up and go when told by journalists that the president was a big Deep Purple fan. “I’m canceling the meeting.”

At the same time, the rest of the group started humming the riff to “Smoke on the Water,” the veteran rock group’s most famous song, Kommersant reported.

:lol: *tears*

I tried putting this page through Google translate but it came out pretty bad still, so I'll just include the link. Maybe someone can actually translate or find a better one than Google. Sorry!

PrimeMinisterMariKiviniemiandForeignMinisterAlexanderStubb.jpg

Bonon illalla tavannut Kiviniemi: Tunnen U2:n musiikkia - HS.fi - Kulttuuri

Just noticed this and I'll tranlate it later today when I get back from work, but just a quick note the woman Mari Kiviniemi is our (Finlands) primeminister and the guy Alexanter Stubb is our foreign minister. :wink:

I have a small pile of newspaper articles that I'll able scanning and uploading and some translating as soon as I can get round to it! Still trying to come down off cloud 9 here!! :love:

stubbbonokiviniemi.jpg

Bono met Kiviniemi this evening "I know U2's music" claims Kiviniemi

Prime Minister Mari Kiviniemi, Minister and Foreign Minister Alexander Stubb, met with U2's front man Bono before their gig. The meeting had been organized by Bono's One organization that seeks to encourage industrialized countries to drop the debt of developing countries.

Prime Minister Kiviniemi was going to the band's gig after the meeting and has publicly promised "to party hard!"

"I'm a champion partier" as Kiviniemi describes her partying style and she often went to rock festivals, when she was younger, but since she only listened to classical music and the Finnish-rock bands, she usually didn't know any of the foreign performers.

"I'd party like grazy during the shows and then afterward's, asked my friends, what was the name of the band that was just performing," Kiviniemi laughs. However, she declares, that she definitely knows who's performing at the Olympic Stadium tonight.

She claims "I know who U2 is and I know their music pretty well!"

Lovely interview :up: I like what Larry says about sick Bono and how hard it was for him to take instructions. I can totally see that. They all look very well and I'm still happy and relieved that Bono is making such great progress with his recovery. I'll keep my fingers crossed for him that everything continues to work out fine for him.

Amnesty International activists were arrested in U2's concert in Moscow
published today at 2:53, last updated today at 4:34

The Russian police, the Militia, have arrested five members of human rights organization Amnesty at the rock group U2's concert in Moscow on Wednesday. :ohmy: The Irish band had also invited the famous Kremlin and Prime Minister Putin critic up onto the stage during the gig.

Activists distributed flyers advertising Amsnesthy and erected a placks during Luzhnikin stadium in Moscow. According to Interfax news agency, the reason for the arrest was because it was an unauthorized demonstration by the Amnesty organization. :shrug:

During final stages of U2's concert, the band invited a Russian rock musician Yuri Shevchukin platform. Shevchuk is a well known harsh critic of Putin's administration.

Reuters, YLE News

I hate to say this but this is just so typical of the Russian authorities! :tsk:

That just sucks :|

I hope Bono finds some clear words to say about this incident.

However, it was to be expected. Things like that usually happen in Russia when there are large crowds.

Amnesty International activists were arrested in U2's concert in Moscow
published today at 2:53, last updated today at 4:34

The Russian police, the Militia, have arrested five members of human rights organization Amnesty at the rock group U2's concert in Moscow on Wednesday. :ohmy: The Irish band had also invited the famous Kremlin and Prime Minister Putin critic up onto the stage during the gig.

Activists distributed flyers advertising Amsnesthy and erected a placks during Luzhnikin stadium in Moscow. According to Interfax news agency, the reason for the arrest was because it was an unauthorized demonstration by the Amnesty organization. :shrug:

During final stages of U2's concert, the band invited a Russian rock musician Yuri Shevchukin platform. Shevchuk is a well known harsh critic of Putin's administration.

Reuters, YLE News

I hate to say this but this is just so typical of the Russian authorities! :tsk:

We don't know shit about Russian authorities. But obviously I'm glad that U2 and Amnesty decided to open yap about those issues. Its sad that people got arrested for it. Russia still has a long way to go and I'm very sure The band will figure out how to find the right words for this story.

That happened in Barca , Dublin , Turin and allot more places. Wich I don't mind becuase they seem to love to break curfews.

U2 to Release "U2

Duals" Collaboration Album

Fri, 27 Aug 2010 14:39:18

U2 have announced that they will release a specially commissioned album called U2: Duals, which will collect all of the band's collaborations spanning their 30-year career. Since the band has enjoyed working with many artists over the past three decades, from punk to country to blues to soul artists, they have accumulated enough collaborative material to release it under one album! The album will not see a traditional release; it will only be available via a subscription to U2 > Welcome.

Will you subscribe to U2.com? Who would you like to see collaborate with U2 in the future? What is your favorite past U2 collab?

—Amy Sciarretto

:hmm:

louisvuitton.jpg

Ali Hewson and Bono in the Louis Vuitton campaign.

Photo By Annie Leibovitz

PARIS — Louis Vuitton racked up a slew of firsts with its latest “Core Values” ad campaign, featuring Bono and his wife, Ali Hewson.

For starters, it’s the first time the U2 front man has appeared in an ad without his band, and the first time a label other than Vuitton is getting a fashion credit.

Instead of Vuitton, the two wear Edun, the ethical clothing label they founded in 2005 to encourage trade with Africa, and in which LVMH took a 49 percent stake last year. What’s more, Hewson totes a handbag co-designed by Edun and Vuitton that comes dangling with a special charm that is the French firm’s first made-in-Africa product. (It’s also sold separately.)

The image of Bono and Hewson disembarking from a small airplane in an arid South African vista — with the tag line “Every journey began in Africa” — is slated to break in mid-September in a range of daily newspapers, October magazines and on louisvuittonjourneys.com. The collaboration also will dovetail with an event during Paris Fashion Week, when Vuitton and Edun will unveil Africa Rising, a temporary exhibition of contemporary African art along with a showcase for the campaign and Edun’s spring collection. Bono and Hewson are expected to attend.

Antoine Arnault, Vuitton’s director of communications, said Edun’s presence in a Vuitton campaign would give the small brand — and its mission to eradicate poverty through sustainable enterprise in Africa — international exposure.

The Annie Leibovitz image of the crusading couple portrays Vuitton’s popular travel-themed ads — which have featured the likes of Mikhail Gorbachev, Keith Richards and Sean Connery — in a new way. “When they go to Africa, they don’t go to see the beautiful landscapes: They’re there to help people,” Arnault said, stressing the Edun ethos of trade, not aid. “Theirs is a for-profit company.”

Bono and Hewson donated their fees to appear in the campaign to TechnoServe, a nongovernmental organization that fosters enterprise in the developing world; Conservation Cotton Initiative, which supports sustainable farming in Africa, and Chernobyl Children’s Project International. Proceeds from sales of the co-designed bag, a keepall style in an embossed, monogram leather, will go to TechnoServe and the Cotton Initiative. The retail price has yet to be finalized.

A major U2 groupie during his teen years, Arnault said he was surprised to recently have Bono in the passenger seat of his car as they drove out to Asnières on the outskirts of Paris, where Vuitton has its museum and a leather goods workshop. Stopped at a red light en route, a woman spotted the rock star and activist behind the smoked windows, tapped on the glass and when Bono extended his hand to greet her, she kissed it, saying, “Thank you for everything you’ve done,” Arnault marveled.

The Africa Rising exhibition is slated to open Oct. 5 and run until Oct. 17 opposite Vuitton’s headquarters on the Rue du Pont-Neuf here. The centerpiece will be works from Jean Pigozzi’s collection, including some by artists Seydou Keita and George Lilanga, along with videos and photos about Edun’s mission in Africa.

And if that weren’t enough for fashion week, Vuitton also will inaugurate an exhibition of exceptional trunks at the Carnavalet Museum here, which is dedicated to the history of Paris.

Bono, Hewson to Appear in LVMH Campaign - Media News - WWD.com

More gossip:

U2place this morning have posted this!

Its in Italian, so to briefly translate, it says "various members of the tour crew have told members of u2place, who are in Vienna preparing for tonights show, that the tour will likely finish in 2011 in Europe. A new album in the last months of 2010 is almost confirmed, specifically November/December. Meanwhile the 360 tour should finish in Europe with some dates in England and other locations, with Paris and Belfast being talked about. With regards a date in Ireland, they are in search of a location outside of Dublin, seeing as the last shows at Croke Park had various logistical problems" It then goes on to say-treat as a rumour etc...

:hyper:

Hey, Flavia!:wave: Thanks for posting this. I'm not mad about the song (a bit on the whiny side for me), but Eve is lovely. Such beautiful blue eyes!
I have a feeling we'll be seeing a lot more of her in the coming years.

:wave: Hi biff..long time... etc :D
and thanks Flavia for this little piece of news (well, it was to me)

I'd say Eve's star is definitely rising :up:

More gossip:

U2place this morning have posted this!

Its in Italian, so to briefly translate, it says "various members of the tour crew have told members of u2place, who are in Vienna preparing for tonights show, that the tour will likely finish in 2011 in Europe. A new album in the last months of 2010 is almost confirmed, specifically November/December. Meanwhile the 360 tour should finish in Europe with some dates in England and other locations, with Paris and Belfast being talked about. With regards a date in Ireland, they are in search of a location outside of Dublin, seeing as the last shows at Croke Park had various logistical problems" It then goes on to say-treat as a rumour etc...

:hyper:

Oh with any luck this might mean, yet another trip to Ireland next year! :hyper: My last one was in 2001 to see U2 at Slane. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom