Photographers' Union Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
_DSC0121_edited-1-1.jpg

_DSC0185_edited-1.jpg

I came across this photographer's work the other day and I wanted to show you guys. Her name is Amy Adams (which makes it really hard to google her work) and her images are similar to Philip Lorca DiCorcia's photos that I posted a while back, in that her subjects have no idea they're getting their pictures taken. She set up a video camera in her apartment window across the street from an outside subway platform in New York. She then isolated the faces from the tape, enlarged them and produced a negative to make a print from. Theres a spooky, ghostly feel. I love them
Sorry I couldnt find more individual shots

Amy Adams:

AmyAdams03.jpg

6a00d8341c76e453ef0115702ff0ab970b-pi

6a00d8341c76e453ef0115702ff0f1970b-pi

My brother's girlfriend just got the Nikon D40. Had a little go on it, but there's so many menus and settings :crack:

I came across this photographer's work the other day and I wanted to show you guys. Her name is Amy Adams (which makes it really hard to google her work) and her images are similar to Philip Lorca DiCorcia's photos that I posted a while back, in that her subjects have no idea they're getting their pictures taken.

Interesting concept there.

I thought I'd mention a cool photographer as well.

Mario Testino - photographed Princess Di, and now photographs royalty, celebrities, magazine covers, and fashion ads. Charges around 100k a day. Has been featured on CNN (videos on youtube). I really like his composition, lighting, and color skills - wish I knew how to get that look in my photos.

I thought I'd mention a cool photographer as well.

Mario Testino

He's a favourite of a friend of mine who shoots fashion. His stuff is a little on the slick side for me, but hes got crazy skill none the less (I'm jealous). You guys should post more photographers that inspire you. I like seeing where people are coming from in terms of who they look up to, what they like in a photograph, etc. But keep posting your own stuff too :up:

He's a favourite of a friend of mine who shoots fashion. His stuff is a little on the slick side for me, but hes got crazy skill none the less (I'm jealous).

Yeah, he's definitely very commercial. The technical aspect of his stuff really caught my eye, and I'd like to pick up some of those skills and techniques. I'll have to read up and view more on other photographers. I do like the Crewsdon, etc you posted earlier.

Also found this video on his recent shoot with Cameron Diaz:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6AHjc1vHzU&feature=fvw

Another celebrity/performance photographer I like is Kevin Mazur (he also shoots a lot of U2, including the Bono/Edge image currently on the u2.com home page).

I'm more of a landscape/wilderness kind of guy, one of the photographers who's work I love is the late Peter Dombrovskis, from Tasmania & is the only Australian to be inducted into the International photography hall of Fame.

Sadly he passed away while photographing the Tasmanian Wilderness in 1996.

Rock_island_bend.jpg

I'm also getting a lot of inspiration lately from one of my local Flickr Groups too :)

Flickr: Newcastle Sundance

I'm more of a landscape/wilderness kind of guy, one of the photographers who's work I love is the late Peter Dombrovskis, from Tasmania & is the only Australian to be inducted into the International photography hall of Fame.

I want to get more into landscapes as well. A couple of Australian photographers I like are the Fletcher brothers, who have taken great videos/images of Western Australia.

One brother shot this video on a Canon 5D Mark II dslr:
Images Of Western Australia's Kimberley on Vimeo

And his brother's photos:
New Images - Photographs - Christian Fletcher Photo Images - Landscape Photography

I'm obviously a band /event photographer more than anything else, and I don't really have a favourite photographer - I'll just have a quick look at album covers, magazines, etc to see how people are shooting. I do really like Anton Corbijn's stuff, though.

So randomly, did anyone go on the Annual Photowalk? I sure did, and it was great fun:

5371_106564918694_705953694_2097059_890491_n.jpg

5371_106564993694_705953694_2097074_3893917_n.jpg

5371_106565038694_705953694_2097083_6312457_n.jpg

5371_106565103694_705953694_2097094_7075144_n.jpg

5371_106565123694_705953694_2097097_954533_n.jpg

5371_106565128694_705953694_2097098_958282_n.jpg

5371_106565143694_705953694_2097101_6976630_n.jpg

5371_106565043694_705953694_2097084_8001295_n.jpg

For those interested, most of these were taken with an old manual focus M42 screw-mount 135mm f/2.8 lens, a Photax-Paragon from the 70s or 80s. It's a bit soft wide open, but at a total cost of $30ish with a Canon-mount adapter, one can hardly complain.

I want to get more into landscapes as well. A couple of Australian photographers I like are the Fletcher brothers, who have taken great videos/images of Western Australia.

One brother shot this video on a Canon 5D Mark II dslr:
Images Of Western Australia's Kimberley on Vimeo

And his brother's photos:
New Images - Photographs - Christian Fletcher Photo Images - Landscape Photography

Thats some great work there...that video is great :up:

major panic, I was going to do the walk, but it was full !

So randomly, did anyone go on the Annual Photowalk? I sure did, and it was great fun:

I went on the Chicago Historical Loop walk. Wasn't exactly what I expected, but it was fun nonetheless. I haven't had a chance to process anything yet, but I'll post once I do.

Sadly he passed away while photographing the Tasmanian Wilderness in 1996.

Rock_island_bend.jpg

Man, I've never really been into landscapes, but THAT is a solid picture. It seems too often that landscapes are all about being beautiful and sprawling, but they dont really hit me on an emotional level. Theres a sense of mystery in that shot and the colours arent overbearing. I really like it. Thanks for posting it

Man, I've never really been into landscapes, but THAT is a solid picture. It seems too often that landscapes are all about being beautiful and sprawling, but they dont really hit me on an emotional level. Theres a sense of mystery in that shot and the colours arent overbearing. I really like it. Thanks for posting it

Its my favourite photo ever.

Peter Dombrovskis did all his work on a medium format camera carrying it & supplies for days walking through the wilderness.

There are also stories that he used to set up for a shot & then wait patiently for days until the light was "perfect"

^Speaking of medium format (which I've never shot with), this is probably my dream camera - a Hasselbad :

Unfortunately it's like $30k. I'd love to spend a week shooting with it somewhere scenic.
Mario Testino (above) uses this brand.

Its my favourite photo ever.

Peter Dombrovskis did all his work on a medium format camera carrying it & supplies for days walking through the wilderness.

There are also stories that he used to set up for a shot & then wait patiently for days until the light was "perfect"

Are you sure he shoots medium format and not large format (4x5 or maybe even 8x10)? Seem kinda strange to go through all that trouble and not even use a view camera, especially when shooting landscape :shrug:

EDIT: I just googled it. He did shoot large format (phew!). Linhof Master Technika 4x5

technika_003.jpg

Not sure if anyone here visits deviantART.com. My daughter had one of her photos featured on their daily deviations today, which was pretty cool. :)
(She's SeaPeny there)

deviantART Daily Deviations for Today

This is the photo

Apollo_10_by_SeaPeny.jpg

now THAT is a class shot, for a minute looked like those ones (sorry, not a photographer so dont know proper name terms) for movements caught in time, or something like that, so many clicks of someone moving.

oh dear. :doh:

now THAT is a class shot, for a minute looked like those ones (sorry, not a photographer so dont know proper name terms) for movements caught in time, or something like that, so many clicks of someone moving.

Multiple exposure :)

thank you dearest. :kiss:

however, I just looked that up, and saw examples of one person in four shots, does multiple still work like they were moving every second, rather than four side by side shots.

understand my dumb struggle to explain what I mean? :D:D:D

well, you can do a multiple exposure where you take a shot of a scene, then take a second shot on the same negative of a person and you get a kind of ghost like this

10196704.jpg

or you can do a multiple exposure of the same person really quickly, so you get a kind of action shot like this (I think this is what you're talking about):

Multiple%20exposure%20450.jpg

It sounds like the examples you were looking at might have been Eadweard Muybridge style shots, where multiple exposures were taken of a moving object or person, but were all exposed on different negatives:

1806152327_50774280d8.jpg

If it looks familiar, its because it was the inspiration behind the Lemon video. Another interesting thing about Muybridge is before his style of photography that captured motion, no one knew for sure whether a horse, while running, at some point in its stride had all four feet in the air at the same time

Thanks I'll tell her :)

And it does look like those multiple exposure shots, I knew what ya meant :D )

That's a very iconic moment (in the ballet world anyways) in the ballet Apollo. Not an easy shot either, as it looks posed but it's not. The 4 dancers are probably in that exact position for less than a second before they are moving again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom