Photographer's Union Part Deux

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was lucky enough that my school had a dark room, and let me just tell you that it is pretty terrifying at first, the thought of being so at risk of completely messing everything up. But once you learn how to do it, developing/printing your own photos is the most amazing experience. I suggest it to anyone who loves photography, if they have the resources!

Also random question for you guys: I'm looking into possibly purchasing my first DSLR camera. I don't want anything too expensive...I found the Canon Rebel T3i...any suggestions/thoughts/ideas on what I should be looking for? Thanks!

My first DSLR was a Canon EOS 450D I bought it from the store ,
but now, you can buy them second-hand for a great price.
I do recommend it for starting out, its very nice, and I learned all of the basics on it. After 2/3 years I sold it and bought myself a better Body. and lenses. But yeah that's just me, I'm sure there are a lot of people out there who might have something better for you.

I really want to play with film but I'm terrified of trying anything with a dark room.

Really the only part you have to worry about messing something up irreversibly is when you're developing the negatives (or transparencies, if that's your thing). You've got an infinite amount of tries to get the print right, so you could always have the film developed for you and only start with printing in the dark room. But really, with delevoping your negatives, everything is just timing and making sure your chemistry is fresh; it's not so difficult. Honestly, the hardest part is cracking open and respooling your film canisters for 35mm or unloading/reloading your 4x5 sheet film holders in the pitch black (no red light for negative developing, unfortunately)

Do cameras have problems in the heat? I ask because my camera has been acting up lately. The last two events have been HOT and sunny, 90s and above. When I wasn't using my camera I keep it in the shade, but when I was using it, we were in the sun for 20 minutes or so at a time. At both events sometimes the camera worked fine, other times it would give me a F-- error on the display, and sometimes it would work but sort of choke up and only allow me to shoot 1 picture every few seconds (as opposed to virtually nonstop). When I get the F error I turn off the camera and re-seat the memory card and lens and one/all of those things seem to help. I'm using just an entry level camera, the Nikon D90 and both times had my cheap tele lens (Nikon 55-200 f/4-5.6 VR). I'm not sure if the issue is the body or the lens or both. I know the D90 overheats when shooting video (I think it was one of the first DSLR with video and will only do 4 minutes at a time but usually stops before that because of heat) so I wasn't sure if the same is true for regular photos.

hmm, I would think that 20 minutes of use in the heat shouldn't make a difference; People drag their cameras to much more extreme temperatures than that. I could maybe see if you were leaving it out in the sun in between, but since you kept it in the shade, that's kinda strange. I guess it's possible though

Yeah, I mean it was hot and humid but I'm sure it's hotter in the desert. I'm thinking of bringing it to Norman and see if they can just give it a once-over. Something fell off the viewfinder and I couldn't get the piece back on because it got run over by a lawn mower before someone found it and gave it back. Also I read that the F error can be a communication error between lens and body and that the contacts on the body can start to corrode over time which I suppose could be the case given the humidity here. Even when inside or in the shade the camera is not always in "dry" conditions since we don't have AC so it's always hot and humid even indoors. I try to take good care of it and am not dropping it or slamming it around but I'm not all that gentle with it either.

To be honest I'd be surprised because I took an even earlier model (D60) with me to Africa and used it for sometimes a couple of hours in blaring sunshine (there is no shade in most of Namibia) and the temps were well into the 40 Celsius + range (104F +). And I did this pretty much day in and day out for over a month.

My first DSLR was a Canon EOS 450D I bought it from the store ,
but now, you can buy them second-hand for a great price.
I do recommend it for starting out, its very nice, and I learned all of the basics on it. After 2/3 years I sold it and bought myself a better Body. and lenses. But yeah that's just me, I'm sure there are a lot of people out there who might have something better for you.

Thank you! :up:

Yeah, I mean it was hot and humid but I'm sure it's hotter in the desert. I'm thinking of bringing it to Norman and see if they can just give it a once-over. Something fell off the viewfinder and I couldn't get the piece back on because it got run over by a lawn mower before someone found it and gave it back. Also I read that the F error can be a communication error between lens and body and that the contacts on the body can start to corrode over time which I suppose could be the case given the humidity here. Even when inside or in the shade the camera is not always in "dry" conditions since we don't have AC so it's always hot and humid even indoors. I try to take good care of it and am not dropping it or slamming it around but I'm not all that gentle with it either.

At work we have a Nikon D700, and it has the exact same problem you described above here.
We use it in the sun and even in the rain sometimes. So it might be weather related. But it never seemed to be in my experience.

Also I had a classmate wrecking one of the Nikon DSLR at my school.
The focus motors have a lot of weak points (little kind plastic rods is the best way i can describe) which tend to snap with a good blow, or at least weaken by time. I actually removed on of these and it fixed the focussing problem, and more incredible it didn't give any problems becuase of the missing part.

I just encourage you to find someone who can check the focus mechanism. It can fix a lot of issues, and can use a bit of love if you had a camera for several years, even if you take good care of it.

I think you are right, I have noticed lately that the lens I've been using sometimes has trouble with auto focus, like the motor goes nuts for a few seconds and I just pick something else to focus on. I had this same problem with my kit lens but it was because that lens was dropped and the autofocus never worked the same after that. I used it for a few more years and just dealt with it until my dog knocked it off something and it broke for good. It fell while attached to the body and the threading on the lens chipped, luckily it was the lens thread that broke and not the body. I can actually still use it but I have to hold it onto the body myself, and since the autofocus no longer works at all it's pretty worthless trying to hold your camera together *and* manual focus!

Wow that sucks! I feel for your kit. But its recognizable to me, work in animal husbandry as well (seems you do to, with your awesome shepperds) so I def. don't treat my camera as well as I probably should, but sometimes you just don't have a choice. I wrecked a zoomlens at work by litteraly dropping it. Luckily it was one of those cheap ass Tamron plastic shit lenses (got it included with my 450D). But I got that fixed for free :lol:

But again, if you have an "older" Nikon camera, try to get the mechanism checked out. If its not to expensive. If not I would go looking out for a new body.
I'm sure it must have passed trough your mind already. But we all try to find a cheaper solution first.
I'm so happy to hear that I'm not the only one having problems with the focussing.
And funny enough even tough I worked with two different generations/models of Nikons, both had the focussing problem.
One becuase of a good blow to the lens, and the other... I still don't know.
You just never know.

Not looking for another body right now, I wouldn't even know where to begin with all the gazillions of new models and don't have the $$$. It's like a third hand I use it so much and would really hate to have to switch! Based on how I use it, I don't need to be spending thousands on new equipment.

As someone who used to sell cameras, and as a photographer, I cannot stress the importance of prioritizing money on lenses than the camera body. There's not much point in buying a top of the line camera (for example) and then cheeping out on the lenses.

-Lisa

As someone who used to sell cameras, and as a photographer, I cannot stress the importance of prioritizing money on lenses than the camera body. There's not much point in buying a top of the line camera (for example) and then cheeping out on the lenses.

-Lisa

That mentality was true before digital came along when bodies were little more than light tight boxes, but doesn't hold up anymore. These days, the body is at least just as important as the lens. Your body and lens should be on the same level, quality wise.

Here's a couple from Monday :

_MG_4681.jpg

_MG_4696.jpg

As you can tell, not captivity. (14,000 feet actually)

And here's some 9-week old puppies... Because everyone loves puppies and if you don't then you're just evil. This is where I make most of my money - animal and pet photography.

_MG_4443.jpg

_MG_4501.jpg

_MG_4540.jpg

That mentality was true before digital came along when bodies were little more than light tight boxes, but doesn't hold up anymore. These days, the body is at least just as important as the lens. Your body and lens should be on the same level, quality wise.

Still is unfortunately. I have seen many people with more dollars than sense that would quite happily spend three or four grand on a camera body (5D or 1D series in Canons for example) then cheap out on the lenses, and then wonder why their images aren't that great.

As much as technology is wonderful when it comes to image quality, there's always a scarifice. It's like throwing a $30 UV filter on a $2000 lens.

Although, I did just spend money on this sucker : Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : EF 17-40mm f/4L USM

Still is unfortunately. I have seen many people with more dollars than sense that would quite happily spend three or four grand on a camera body (5D or 1D series in Canons for example) then cheap out on the lenses, and then wonder why their images aren't that great.

As much as technology is wonderful when it comes to image quality, there's always a scarifice. It's like throwing a $30 UV filter on a $2000 lens.

This is what I'm saying. If you're dropping money on a 5D mkiii or a 1D mkiv, it's definitely worth the money, but only if you're also buying high quality lenses. The camera bodies are more important now than ever

Apologies - I've not been well of late and my brain isn't functioning as it should. Which is scary since school starts for me again next week.

I'd say lenses are still more important than a body. Photoshop, lightroom, aperture et al has made post processing a hell of a lot easier than the old darkroom days. Of course, the only thing I missed about darkroom was the damn chemical smell ;)

Apologies - I've not been well of late and my brain isn't functioning as it should. Which is scary since school starts for me again next week.

No need to apologize :)

Lenses are definitely very important and probably more overlooked than bodies. I can't even count the amount of times a friend has sent me a link and asked "is this lens any good?" and it's like a $200 lens.

No need to apologize :)

Lenses are definitely very important and probably more overlooked than bodies. I can't even count the amount of times a friend has sent me a link and asked "is this lens any good?" and it's like a $200 lens.

Because most people think "Oh, it's a $2K body, it MUST be good"

I want to slap everyone that says to me, "what a great photo, you must have a really good camera"

My usual response is "what a great cake, your oven must be really good"

The cheapest lens I have bought is the 17-40 L, which for $850 is a bargain.

-Lisa

Well I'm not a professional photographer so I tend to cheap out on both. If my body doesn't work at all, it doesn't matter if I have a 10K lens. Photography is a hobby for me but not one that breaks the bank since 90% of my disposable income literally goes to the dogs. There are probably people here that wouldn't see the point of spending $5500 on the purchase price of a dog but the argument is the same either way. I can enjoy taking pictures with a $1500 body/lens combo just as much as someone can enjoy their pet for $100 from the local shelter. :shrug:

Liesje said:
Well I'm not a professional photographer so I tend to cheap out on both.

See? You're sticking to the rule at least. Same quality body and lens :up:

Well I'm not a professional photographer so I tend to cheap out on both.

Which is fine, my point really was don't spend more on a body then get all cheap on a lens. Get within your budget (I started off with a $700 body and a $500 lens), but don't expect to get images like you'd see with SI / NG photographers when you don't spend the money.

You've got a good head on your shoulders. You'd be fine. Personally if it were me I'd go canon over nikon, but it's all preference really. I find the color in canons to be a little better than nikons, especially with skies. But, that's just my opinion. Each to their own.

/L

Which is fine, my point really was don't spend more on a body then get all cheap on a lens. Get within your budget (I started off with a $700 body and a $500 lens), but don't expect to get images like you'd see with SI / NG photographers when you don't spend the money.

You've got a good head on your shoulders. You'd be fine. Personally if it were me I'd go canon over nikon, but it's all preference really. I find the color in canons to be a little better than nikons, especially with skies. But, that's just my opinion. Each to their own.

/L

I don't expect NG level photos. My original complaint was that the camera was not taking pictures at all, not that it was taking bad ones. It basically locks up and errors out. The pictures that it does take are fine, exactly what I want and expect given the subject matter. Since I have all Nikon stuff and some of it was given to me (why I bought a Nikon body in the first place, at the time I was borrowing several lenses and testing Nikon equipment for someone who publishes photography manuals) I don't see any reason to ditch it and switch to Canon if the body can be repaired fairly easily and inexpensively.

Agreed, I'm noticing my body can't keep up with the quality of my lenses.
I have a "simple" 500D right now, which for me is a starter model DSLR,
This year I bought two great Canon lenses, but they would perform much better with a newer, and more professional body..
You can be amazed just see the difference in sharpness between this body, and for example a 5D MKIII.

Nice architecture, ntalwar! I assume you corrected perspective in the second one? Did you try with the first as well? I just always prefer the lines to be true on shots like that, but I guess with all the geometry in the foreground, it might not be possible.
The mixed lighting works really well too. You bracketed like crazy?

Thanks - I need to straighten the lines a bit more - didn't spend too much time. Photoshop can be frustrating with all the transform options, etc (still learning them). Yeah, hdr on most of them.

nice work everyone. I am hoping that Nikon Releases the D600 soon at a reasonable price (Full Frame at a supposed consumer price) I am loving my D7000 still and if I get the D600 I will most likely be selling my D200.

some recent work. Landscape which I havent shot in a while.

RAP-61612-16-L.jpg

RAP-61612-18-L.jpg

RAP-61612-7-L.jpg

random611-12-10-L.jpg

random611-12-26-L.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom