Pearl Jam Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've never understood how someone can fit an album they just got one day ago into rankings amongst albums that have been out for a decade, sometimes two. It's one thing if you all of a sudden heard them all at once, but even though I essentially did that with depeche mode earlier this year, I still felt really weird claiming something from delta machine for a top 10.
I am skilled at ranking my music and am able to establish an order no matter how new or old an album is . I use my own personal points system which helps me easily rank my music. This album was so enjoyable that it really was a no brainer.

Well, that was fucking awesome. I wish I was coming back tomorrow. Now to get out of this parking garage.

(First the tip of the day...next time you go to Worcester, find a metered spot on Main Street, I parked in front of the Palladium, cost me $1.50 in quarters to fill the meter till they stopped tagging, no traffic exiting aside from a couple of light cycles)

The show was fantastic got about 3rd person deep in front of McCready:

Great set, 3 hours, GA crowd was well behaved, just got a little cuckoo when I was in the middle of a McCready guitar pick shower(got 2 picks, different styles) during Whipping and during Porch when Mike jumped off stage into the camera pit in front of us. Highlights were numerous, Whipping into Corduroy, Leash, Porch, Fatal, Sonic Reducer amongst them.
New material was good live though I agree that Yellow Moon was kind of boring.
Working on 4 hours sleep, can't wait to do it again tonight.

i saw a number of hipsters tonight that clearly didn't get the memo that p4k says the new album sucks. :shrug: someone should probably go revoke their idiot glasses and cardigans (or the scarf the one in the tshirt was wearing).

That's highly upsetting.

Based on the pitchfork score I was thinking I'd have a private show in Brooklyn. I don't know how I'll be able to hear eddie's shot voice over all those people now.

Well, I feel like an idiot. I didn't even realize the palladium was around the corner. Told you I don't know Worcester at all.

Porch was epic. The pot was more a bit overwhelming (i thought in states where it's medically legal, one of its uses has to do with combating nausea. Yet it's a smell that's always made me nauseous), and i was a little freaked out at first that i was imagining the bug zapper light ball things moving around.

The kid next to me didn't seem to know Leash (and i had already migrated a bit to move away from the lifeless lumps i was actually seated near) and sat down. The fact that anyone could chose Corduroy as a song to get up and go get another beer is beyond baffling to me. People who talk during Just Breathe deserve to have their skulls instantly crushed.

That was the first time I've heard nothing as it seems in probably 10 years, and it's just as boring now as it was then. But still covering the dead boys makes up for that tenfold.

I like spin the black circle, I don't really care what laz says. Even if I totally knew it was coming with that banter set-up.

Red mosquito. Fuck yes. On the subject of no code songs, if I come in here and read you got off he goes tonight, I'll... I'm not even sure what.

How can the live version of Nothing as it Seems be boring? McCready demolishes that one.

Well, I feel like an idiot. I didn't even realize the palladium was around the corner. Told you I don't know Worcester at all.

One of my pet peeves is paying to park (like George Costanza. "Its like sex, why pay for it when if I apply myself I can get it for free"), plus my wife is from Shrewsbury so I spent some time in Worcester when we were dating and know downtown well enough. But for future reference there are a fair amount of metered spots on Maiin Street ( a block up from the CentrumDCU) and the side streets that lead to Main Street.

The kid next to me didn't seem to know Leash (and i had already migrated a bit to move away from the lifeless lumps i was actually seated near) and sat down. The fact that anyone could chose Corduroy as a song to get up and go get another beer is beyond baffling to me. People who talk during Just Breathe deserve to have their skulls instantly crushed.

Wish I could have gotten you into GA with me, but they weren't even my 10c tix last night, missed the lottery and went with a buddy who had seen a few shows with my seats in the past. Crowd in GA (at least in McCreadyville) was great and I know how a bad crowd can sour the experience to an extent (I'll never get over being asked to sit down last year at Van Halen at Mohegan Sun, moved to another/better section post haste).
Not sure how anyone could have been lifeless last night and how one sits during Leash of all songs, no words for that.

From where I was, it literally looked like I was standing in the middle of the only pocket of lame in the entire place. It seriously looked like everyone was rocking out except the people near me, which is awesome for everyone else...and I've long ago shed any sense of embarrassment about being that one person rocking out next to a bunch of seated fools. It's still a bummer, though.

How can the live version of Nothing as it Seems be boring? McCready demolishes that one.

it was better than i recalled it being. i'm just not a huge fan of that song.

i really, really fucking regret googling the setlist for the show tonight. i knew i'd be pissed off if i did. but holy fuck.

Far from lame, one of the best I've seen, I haven't had that much fun at a show in a long time.

yeah, i'm joking, just because you've seen everyone a bunch of times. someone else's opinion of a show won't change mine. i had a blast, i would have loved to go back again on night 2 but it wasn't in the cards. down and baba o'riley alone, man. so jealous. at least i got corduroy and red mosquito and hail, hail, and just an all-around great show. but goddammit.

I had a bunch of people with lightning bolt-printed tickets near me (the hipster twins with their matching glasses, cos I saw them and thought ha! Those tools did no better than I did) unless those were just what all actual tix looked like (I thought hewson mentioned something about the 10c tix specifically being printed like that), and my seats weren't all that awesome. They were ok, and much more awesome than I'd expected (mainly because of the size of the dcu center).

Turns out I was right in waiting til after the show to hear the new album. I probably like it lot more because of post-concert withdrawal than I would otherwise (although there are a number of really good songs I'd probably like a lot anyway).

:lmao: Oh god I hear you totally. Cannot stand people who show zero enthusiasm at a rock concert. It's a rock show for crying out loud, not the opera!! And don't get me started on people who start talking/lose interest/try to make their way to the exit hence blocking your view.. whenever slow songs or lesser known material gets played! Of course, from what I've seen these idiots are much more present in the seated sections than standing room. I'd rather be in GA with the more hardcore fans. But it comes with its own set of personal inconveniences.

There are lame people everywhere. GA, nosebleeds, behind the stage, douchebag seats. This is going to be misinterpreted, as if I'm saying everyone needs to be singing song to every song and rocking out/some manner of dancing at all times--which isn't true at all. It's really just the people who act like they're hanging out at a really expensive bar with a PA cranked entirely too loud. Those people need to go away (or stay back at the concession stand/beer tent/bar/what have you per the type of venue it is). It's annoying enough when it's a show with multiple bands, maybe they're just there to see the headliner or whatever. But when the headliner is the only band?

I had a bunch of people with lightning bolt-printed tickets near me (the hipster twins with their matching glasses, cos I saw them and thought ha! Those tools did no better than I did) unless those were just what all actual tix looked like (I thought hewson mentioned something about the 10c tix specifically being printed like that), and my seats weren't all that awesome. They were ok, and much more awesome than I'd expected (mainly because of the size of the dcu center).

Turns out I was right in waiting til after the show to hear the new album. I probably like it lot more because of post-concert withdrawal than I would otherwise (although there are a number of really good songs I'd probably like a lot anyway).

Interesting...

My tickets were always pretty good at MSG. Never got on the floor but had some good lower bowl seats. Was hoping with the split between GA and reserved that my reserved will be even better.

Can't make both nights cause I'm out of town Saturday. Actually pushed my flight back from Friday night to Saturday morning just to make it work. Gonna need to find another show(s) to get to.

My main thought listening to this album...it's scary how much better Pearl Jam are at weepy ballads than rockers at this point of their career. Sirens and Just Breathe are major standouts on their respective albums.

i still think yellow moon is kind of dull. sirens, however, i like quite a bit and don't care if laz thinks it's generic. i like the first half of the album a lot better than the second, though.

then after i listened to it a couple times, i went and listened to backspacer. zootsmelonsky was the one a few pages back who was talking about the catchy, poppiness of that album being what makes it so good, right? i hate to agree with the guy who once called me a republican, but he has a point here.

My main thought listening to this album...it's scary how much better Pearl Jam are at weepy ballads than rockers at this point of their career. Sirens and Just Breathe are major standouts on their respective albums.

Pearl Jam's late 90s to early 2000s work was very much influenced by Ed's fear of becoming Kurt Cobain and sticking a shotgun in his mouth.

His modern work is very much influenced by his fear of dying and leaving his family.

The tenderness of the later really shines in those songs you mentioned, especially Sirens. I liked Sirens before I read all the lyrics. I love it once I understood the real meanings behind it.

The End is another song in this vein.

Getaway is great. Much better than Gonna See My Friend, which was Pearl Jam on autopilot in the worst way possible.

Backspacer starts out incredibly suspect. I like the fixer onward, but those first two...what the hell. If I had mt's weird ability to rank songs I've only heard a half dozen or so times alongside songs I've loved for more than a dozen years, I'd possibly put just breathe and amongst the waves up there with corduroy, off he goes, other favorites. But I can't in good conscience do that.

I for the life of me cannot see the appeal in Just Breathe. A corny country-lite song with a laughable vocal melody that never should have been a Pearl Jam song in the first place (rather an Eddie solo track). Plus it was a momentum murderer on all the concerts I've seen.

On the other hand, Got Some is one of the few Backspacer songs I really like.

got some was fun live. i'll give it that. but not something i care to listen to often.

:shrug: i thought just breathe sucked when i heard it on the radio. can't point to anything that made me change my mind, i just did.

it was 8:15 or 20-ish for start time here, no idea about your other question.

Back
Top Bottom