Pearl Jam Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes!

I must get some sleep. And probably go pick up color ink before I leave for Wistaah, cos I'm always concerned venue security will give me a hard time whenever my printed tickets are in black and white. The bar code and the actual ticket text is good, it's just some of the ads on the page aren't really visible.

I hate those stupid ticketfast tickets. Always opt for hard tix, they make better souvenirs.
Plus the 10 club tickets (at least Pittsburgh) were cool looking Lightning Bolt themed tix.

I hate them too, but at least I don't have to worry about them never showing up in the mail (that's happened twice). Or if they do show up, misplacing them when they turn up 2 weeks before the show (that was only temporary, but I spent more time frantically searching than I'd like to again). Have had will call issues before, too.

Can't say I disagree with the assessment of their career.

This is still higher than No Line On The Horizon. But of course U2 is held to a higher standard.

Reviews elsewhere have been pretty strong, though. The only seasoned artist to whom Pitchfork has ever been kind is Tom Waits.

I'll give it a listen later on tonight. I remain a big fan of the band but have not really liked a full album of theirs in a while...but I keep buying the albums and I always find at least a few songs that I like a lot.....and their shows remain amazing, at least to me.

Still a top 10 band for me.

Had I not spent 20 bucks to park, I probably would have bought a tshirt. Definitely would have. My seat is kind of awesome, though. Or is now, I'm sure ill wind up behind worlds tallest man like I usually do.

Well, that was fucking awesome. I wish I was coming back tomorrow. Now to get out of this parking garage.

Had a really nice first listen to the album today, driving fast in my car.

The vocal on My Father's Son is fierce and youthful.

Future Days is one of the most beautiful songs the man has written. I embrace the fuck out of this side of Eddie's songwriting, with that melody and those lyrics so openly warmhearted. It's a gorgeous love letter to his family, and one of the band's best album closers.

I teared up a bit listening to Sirens.

Infallible and Let The Records Play both feature styles of instrumentation that we've never heard anything close to in the band's 20 + year career, for as much as anyone wants to talk about them taking it easy and not "experimenting" or whatever the fuck.

What they did with Sleeping By Myself is really cool and it makes me wish they would do the full band treatment to all of the songs off of Ukulele.

Yellow Moon didn't do anything for me on first listen. I feel like Getaway has a chance to grow on me a lot. I dug Eddie's cadence in the verses of the latter but didn't get much of an overall payoff. They've never had anything close to a bad album opener, though.

I see a lot of you guys are digging Pendulum. It didn't grab me much, but I've only listened to it once and I hate to even judge as much as I already have based on only a single spin.

The title track might be a bit lame. Swallowed Whole is another song about surfing.

Glad you liked the show, IWB.

title track was kickass live, really enjoyed it. i still haven't heard the album yet, though. yellow moon kinda bored me, though.

That's a great setlist some of you had. I don't think Release and Long Road were ever played back-to-back. Good to see the live shows are as surprising as ever.

Too bad his voice is shot and they aren't worth seeing anymore hey!

Exactly! I had more fun spending my money at the time to see The National, Hold Steady and Sigur Ros in intimate venues. :up:

Reviews elsewhere have been pretty strong, though. The only seasoned artist to whom Pitchfork has ever been kind is Tom Waits.

Nothing you just said is true. It has a 63/100 on AlbumoftheYear and a slightly kinder 72/100 from Metacritic (a site that incorporates review sources that are gentler to mainstream acts). The latter score wouldn't even put it in the Top 100 for the year. Maybe even 200.

Meanwhile, Pitchfork has given very generous reviews to all sorts of older artists. Waits is hardly the exception. Pearl Jam is just putting out bland albums, that's all.

i saw a number of hipsters tonight that clearly didn't get the memo that p4k says the new album sucks. :shrug: someone should probably go revoke their idiot glasses and cardigans (or the scarf the one in the tshirt was wearing).

That's a great setlist some of you had. I don't think Release and Long Road were ever played back-to-back. Good to see the live shows are as surprising as ever.

i haven't looked at a pearl jam setlist since going nuts years ago on acquiring official bootlegs when they were touring riot act, so "do you guys wanna hear red mosquito?" was like the best thing ever. especially since i'd already gotten hail hail.

where's hewson? he needs to come along and tell me how this show was lame compared to the other 9 million he's been to? :lol:

Just got "Lightning Bolt" yesterday and have been thoroughly enjoying it! Eddie and Co really seem to be enjoying their status as a "classic rock " band and that's a good thing. They no longer feel the need to prove anything to the world.

The album has a great flow to it with a excellent mix of rockers, mid tempo and ballads. Brendan O'Brian is a consummate producer who is clearly at home with this genre and band.

The songs have a nostalgic edge to them but a fresh sound amongst all the auto-tune processed pop juggernauts infecting the music landscape today.

Pitchfork was a little harsh in their review of the album, but they are elitist and really only care for "indie" anyway.

Considering this is the bands 10th studio album, I would say that they have earned the right to do as they please including writing a beautiful ballad like "Future Days".

My top tracks are: Getaway, Mind Your Manners, Future Days, My Father's Son, Yellow Moon and Lightning Bolt.

"Lightning Bolt" and "Backspacer" are what I think are the groups strongest albums since "No Code" back in. 96.

PJ Discography Ranked:

#1 Ten
#2 Vs
#3 Vitalogy
#4 No Code
#5 Backspacer
#6 Lightning Bolt
#7 Riot Act
#8 Pearl Jam
#9 Yield
#10 Binaural

I've never understood how someone can fit an album they just got one day ago into rankings amongst albums that have been out for a decade, sometimes two. It's one thing if you all of a sudden heard them all at once, but even though I essentially did that with depeche mode earlier this year, I still felt really weird claiming something from delta machine for a top 10.

Back
Top Bottom