Opening Night Setlist Predictions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Firstly, I think - and hope - that the days of U2 being wedded to opening a show with a new song are over. Look at how well EBTTRT went on 360. They want the crowd pumping straight away, and surely they've realised by now that there is no correlation between relevance and opening with a new song (or quality). I wouldn't be shocked if they open with a couple of older songs and then some new stuff. In fact, I can see them pairing Vertigo/The Miracle as songs two and three.

Every Breaking Wave is obviously a lock and will probably be later in the set. It'll be one of the more prominent songs, and it's already got live exposure. I'd tip Volcano and/or Cedarwood Road to appear in the first five or six songs, playing a similar role to NLOTH on the last tour - the rockin' non-single album track that really gets the place going. I'd fancy Raised By Wolves to show up mid-set, and not flop as badly as Unknown Caller did in a similar position. People might actually shout out "raised! by! wolves!", for one thing.

I don't see The Troubles getting a run, except for a one-off if Lykke Li does a guest appearance - but I would really like it to appear in an encore, as I reckon Edge could do an amazing conclusion with it live, like he used to do with Love Is Blindness. I hope to god California doesn't get played, but you know they will at the least do it at shows in California and I'm already putting money down on a Barbara Ann snippet.

It's hard to tell with some songs - will Song For Someone be a single and get played, or is it just a bland generic song that will quickly be forgotten? Will they give Iris a go or is it too personal for Bono? Is Sleep Like a Baby Tonight a bit too slow, especially for stadiums, or will Bono make us endure some shitty falsetto every night in a vain attempt to recapture his youth? Do they still give a shit about Invisible and Ordinary Love or are they yesterday's news already (cf Window in the Skies, Electrical Storm, and The Hands That Built America, albeit slightly different circumstances)?

At the end of the day, they're going to have to be selective. They're not getting any younger so the sets aren't getting longer, but there are more and more albums to squeeze into the same 22-24 song space. I'll be pleasantly surprised if they do more than five tracks from Songs of Innocence live. And, of course, if there is a second album, then any guessing we can do now will probably go right out the window.

1. Miracle
2. Invisible
3. Volcano
4. Song for Someone
5. Beautiful Day
6. New Year's Day
7. Every Breaking Wave
8. Magnificent
9. California
10. Ordinary Love
11. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
12. Elevation
13. Vertigo
14. Stuck in a Moment
15. Pride (In The Name of Love)
16. Where the Streets Have No Name

Encore:
17. Raised By Wolves
18. Bullet the Blue Sky
19. Ultraviolet
20. With or Without You

Encore 2:
21. The Fly
22. Mysterious Ways
23. Moment of Surrender
24. If You Wear That Velvet Dress
25. Sleep Like a Baby Tonight

Firstly, I think - and hope - that the days of U2 being wedded to opening a show with a new song are over.

There's nothing that I hope for more than that they open with a new song. I want an Innocence Tour show, not a Greatest Hits how. A Greatest Hits show goes against everything U2 has stood for for most of their career.

A new song announces a bright future. An old song is nostalgic. NO thanks.

^ I could definitely see Raised By Wolves starting the encore.

Oh, and I agree that the reason EBTTRT did well was because of the nostalgia factor, not necessarily because it was a big rocker that got the crowd going. At least my assessment.

There's nothing that I hope for more than that they open with a new song. I want an Innocence Tour show, not a Greatest Hits how. A Greatest Hits show goes against everything U2 has stood for for most of their career.

A new song announces a bright future. An old song is nostalgic. NO thanks.

I've never understood this forum's bizarre idea that "opening with an old song = greatest hits/nostalgia", an idea that has almost become an article of setlist faith for some posters. It's a perspective I've never encountered in following any other band, certainly not to this extent. Surely the amount of new songs in the set as a whole, the quality and passion of their performance, and their reception is more indicative of whether a concert is an "Innocence Tour show" or a nostalgiafest.

It feels as if some people here would suggest a setlist is more "Innocence Tour" if there are only two SOI songs, but one of them is the opener, than if it had eight from SOI but the first three songs were from previous albums.

And let's face it, not every album has a brilliant setlist opener. You can have an album of amazing songs but none of them are ideal openers (cases in point: War and The Unforgettable Fire). SOI may just be another one of them.

Dream setlist #1...I missed doing these.

01 - Invisible
02 - I Will Follow
03 - Volcano
04 - This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
05 - New Year's Day
06 - Until The End of the World
07 - Magnificent
08 - I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
09 - Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
10 - All I Want Is You
11 - Iris (Hold Me Close)
12 - Beautiful Day
13 - Every Breaking Wave
14 - California (There is No End to Love)
15 - City of Blinding Lights
16 - The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)
17 - Vertigo
18 - Sunday Bloody Sunday
19 - Pride (In The Name of Love)
20 - Cedarwood Road
---
21 - One
22 - Where The Streets Have No Name
---
23 - Acrobat
24 - Gone
25 - With or Without You
26 - "40"

And I don't mind greatest hits/nostalgia sets, to be honest.

The Miracle
Volcano
Vertigo
Twilight
Until The End Of The World
New Year's Day
Beautiful Day
Elevation
Raised By Wolves
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Every Breaking Wave
I Will Follow
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky
Bad
Where The Streets Have No Name
Pride
One
___

This Is Where You Can Reach Me
Mysterious Ways
With Or Without You
City Of Blinding Lights

A Sort Of Homecoming
Pride
Wire
The Unforgettable Fire
Promenade
4th Of July
Bad
Indian Summer
Elvis Presley And America
MLK

Bunch of new songs
One Tree Hill
Bunch of warhorses
Streets
More new songs
Rarely played gem (with snippet)
More warhorses
Closer

The End.

I would put a few dollars on the bet that they will only play songs from this (and the soon to be released) album - and the other bonus songs attached to this project...

I've never understood this forum's bizarre idea that "opening with an old song = greatest hits/nostalgia", an idea that has almost become an article of setlist faith for some posters. It's a perspective I've never encountered in following any other band, certainly not to this extent. Surely the amount of new songs in the set as a whole, the quality and passion of their performance, and their reception is more indicative of whether a concert is an "Innocence Tour show" or a nostalgiafest.

It feels as if some people here would suggest a setlist is more "Innocence Tour" if there are only two SOI songs, but one of them is the opener, than if it had eight from SOI but the first three songs were from previous albums.

And let's face it, not every album has a brilliant setlist opener. You can have an album of amazing songs but none of them are ideal openers (cases in point: War and The Unforgettable Fire). SOI may just be another one of them.

Obviously, I didn't suggest they only play 2 Soi songs.

When U2 played the Joshua Tree tour, they opened with Where the Streets Have No Name. It welcomed us into the new sound.

ZOOTV opened with Zoo Station and then a flurry of Achtung songs. It enveloped us in the new sound.

POP began with Mofo. From the start it felt very different from past tours. We were inthe thick of the new sound.

etc.

I think the first track matters. I don't just want to see "A" U2 show. I want to experience the new U2, the U2 which only exists at this moment in time, and will be gone soon. I don't want to feel that U2 is great and they happen to have some new songs. I want to experience the new album, and then half-way through have them remember the identities they used to have at different periods in their career.

I want an Innocence show, not a U2 show.

:up::up::up:

I've always wondered about this, and agree 100%. Playing a new song first doesn't mean you're embracing a bold bright future or some such nonsense. Especially when you go on to play a setlist heavy on warhorses. The setlist should be set by what works...by slavishly adhering to some rule about what the first song should be, U2 is actually being more conservative, not confident. It's not as if playing Breathe first somehow meant U2 was embracing some kind of new future...that tour ended up being a greatest hits tour anyway and the record didn't sell, so much for that. It's silly to pretend they don't have 35 years of history to draw on when choosing the first song. There will be plenty of time to get to the new stuff during the show.

And, let's be real. The vast, vast majority of people at the show will be there to see U2 and hear the old songs, not the new ones. Yes, play the new ones by all means...but that doesn't mean you have to be a slave to them. Though, don't get me wrong, I'm sure they'll open with a new song like they always do, and that's fine. I just don't think there's anything special or meaningful about it.

They should play the song that works best to open the show. Which, of course, means A Short of Homecoming. :)

Wasn't there some article talking about potential album nights or decade nights? I remember people making the assumption that three night stands would be Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby and All That You Can't Leave Behind....

I compiled a list earlier of potential songs they could pull out on a given night with relative ease. I'll try to dig it up.

Wasn't there some article talking about potential album nights or decade nights? I remember people making the assumption that three night stands would be Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby and All That You Can't Leave Behind....

I was joking about that when I suggested playing the complete TUF. While I'd personally love it, when a band starts playing entire albums in order like that it generally means they've jumped the shark and firmly entered legacy band status.

Here was my plan from another thread...

1) Rehearse a half dozen new tracks to perfection. Start by not choosing any of the ambient or low-key numbers from the album. Instead, they should pick forceful ballads and louder rock numbers in order to get the audience's attention. Rehearse these tracks in front of fans a few times before the tour begins in order to gauge the audience's response.

2) Practice the war horses. While U2 could play "Elevation" or "With or Without You" in their sleep, they should be able to have 30 or so songs on call for shuffling over multiple nights. This will require a slight bit of rehearsing for each number in order to have them ready to go.

The songs:

Boy - I Will Follow, Out Of Control (2)
October - Gloria (1)
War - New Year's Day, Sunday Bloody Sunday, 40 (3)
Unforgettable Fire - Bad, Pride (2)
Joshua Tree - Streets, With or Without You, Still Haven't Found, Bullet The Blue Sky, Running To Stand Still (5)
Rattle and Hum - Desire, Angel of Harlem, All I Want Is You (3)
Achtung Baby - The Fly, Until The End Of The World, Mysterious Ways, One, Even Better Than The Real Thing (5)
Zooropa - Stay (1)
Original Soundtracks I - Miss Sarajevo (1)
All That You Can't Leave Behind - Beautiful Day, In A Little While, Walk On, Elevation, Stuck In A Moment (5)
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb - Vertigo, City of Blinding Lights (2)

3) Rehearse to perfection about 8 rarities that you can spread out over two nights (4 a night). Deeper album tracks, b-sides, etc.

U2 would then go on tour with the ability to play roughly 45 songs at will. That would be enough for nearly two complete shows. That doesn't even count numbers they seemed to play with ease on recent tours ("Zoo Station" and "Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me" and "Ultraviolet" and a bunch of HTDAAB tracks, etc.), most of which could also join the rotation. They would only need to play the same ten songs every night (The four that the audience expects - "Streets" and "One" and "Beautiful Day" and "Vertigo" - along with the half dozen new numbers) and thus would have the most varied setlists in their entire history.

1. The Troubles
2. Red Light
3. MLK/Stand Up Comedy (snippet)
4. Things to Make and Do
5. Freedom for My People (extended 12 min edition)
6. Discotheque (Howie B Hairy B Mix)
7. Always/Beautiful Day (snippet)
8. So Cruel
9. Miami/California (snippet)/New York (snippet)
10. Passengers (played in its entirety)

encore:
there's no encore sorry guys

This. Fuck Streets, I sincerely hope they have moved past 25 song mass appeal shows, and even stadiums.

Well, it seems like they want to play arenas. Management talked about it recently and Bono even mentioned it in some later stadium dates at the end of the last tour...I don't know if that will hold water outside of North America though. The rest of the world has a higher per capita demand to see U2. Arena shows already don't meet demand as U2 would need to play about four nights in a major US city to reach the same number of people they'd reach on a single stadium gig (and it's probably even more arena nights than that given how many fans attend multiple arena shows). I can't imagine them trying to play arenas nowadays in a place where there's far more rabid audiences like Europe or parts of South America...they'd need to play week-long stands just to get anywhere close to meeting demand.

But Bono did also mention at those 360 shows that he would want the more intimate arena gigs to also have rarer tracks, b-sides and deep cuts. The band has also toyed with dropping "Streets" before for at least one of their recent tours.

My list of above staples is based on songs that were pulled out for more than one recent tour. Regardless of how often they were played, the band was clearly comfortable pulling them out for more than one tour and played them with considerable ease. I think the one exception above was "Running To Stand Still" but I included it since it was played a ton on the Vertigo and Zoo TV tours, so I figured they could manage it.

I'd be shocked if U2 ever played another show without Streets. It seems almost incomprehensible now, and speaking for myself, I'd seriously feel like any U2 show without Streets would be missing something. To me, it's the only indispensable warhorse...all the others can be rotated in or out.

I think most fans (except for the "I'm sick of it" crowd around here) would be gutted to go to a U2 show and not hear Streets.

I'd be shocked if U2 ever played another show without Streets. It seems almost incomprehensible now, and speaking for myself, I'd seriously feel like any U2 without Streets would be missing something. To me, it's the only indispensable warhorse...all the others can be rotated in or out.

I think most fans (except for the "I'm sick of it" crowd around here) would be gutted to go to a U2 show and not hear Streets.
Streets is the miracle worker - makes shitty crowds better.

I would be as it's my favorite song ever although I think there's one better live track ("Bad")

I don't expect them to have a single setlist that doesn't include Streets, One, Beautiful Day or Vertigo from here on out. It hasn't happened yet and probably never will. There's way too many casual fans that expect to here those tracks. Although it's telling that "Streets" is actually the one they've considered dropping...your average casual fan that attends a show (likely some 50-something white-collar white person) probably would be expecting to hear One/Beautiful Day/Vertigo more than "Streets" as those tracks are bigger hits in the grand scheme of things...

If Invisible wasn't good enough (in their idiotic opinions) to make the album, why would they waste space on the setlist for it?

I highly doubt Sleep Like A Baby makes an appearance, and I'm worried that the same will be true of This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now.

The first four songs are a lock. Same with Volcano.

No way they don't open with a new song. The Miracle is a bit too stop-start, but not sure what else on the album would work.

The more interesting question at this point, to me, is what will the tour be called?

Tour Of Innocence? NO
The Miracle Tour? NO
Tour For Someone? NO

This Is Where You Can See Us Now Tour? LIKING IT

If Invisible wasn't good enough (in their idiotic opinions) to make the album, why would they waste space on the setlist for it?

1) They felt it didn't fit thematically

2) They didn't want to waste space on the record with a track that had been out for more than half a year.

The song was a centerpiece of a big promotional push and had a ton of free downloads. It will be on a future Best Of, especially because it wasn't released on an album. It's also poppier, catchier and more likely to go down well live than most of the Songs of Innocence album. Therefore, I'd expect to hear it on the next tour.

Ordinary Love is probably a bit less likely. Too tied to the film/Mandela and it's not exactly the most exciting thing they've done. Again, another lock for that hypothetical third Best Of.

1) They felt it didn't fit thematically

2) They didn't want to waste space on the record with a track that had been out for more than half a year.

The song was a centerpiece of a big promotional push and had a ton of free downloads. It will be on a future Best Of, especially because it wasn't released on an album. It's also poppier, catchier and more likely to go down well live than most of the Songs of Innocence album. Therefore, I'd expect to hear it on the next tour.

Ordinary Love is probably a bit less likely. Too tied to the film/Mandela and it's not exactly the most exciting thing they've done. Again, another lock for that hypothetical third Best Of.

It DOES fit thematically.

But yeah, the song is not new. I understand why it wasn't there.

Back
Top Bottom