Official "Bitch about the stupid mask" thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I genuinely thought this was a joke, Kunstmuseum style, until about 3 pages in. This is like something from the Chaser.

Nobody ever thinks things through. I wonder how many of those masks were on the ground, covered in beer, footprints, and other trash.

I just saw this from Shepard Fairey of OBEY, most recently known for his Obama poster. He has started a new campaign for Aung encouraging people to download the high res file and plaster the poster around. This is much easier to get behind than the freaky masks! http://obeygiant.com/images/2009/07/AASK-11x17-FINALa.pdf
obeyaung.png

I like this poster.:up:

i do think if this continues to fail, U2 will drop it and just show her face on the big screen, which i'm fine with.

i just don't want every bootleg i listen to containing "Put your masks on!"

This is from Neil McCormick's Twitter today. I had asked him about the masks and he replied "The masks are printed in programme so don't see them being dropped (unfortunately)"
I didn't realize they were printed in the program. :huh:

I survey/inspect natural gas lines near homes to see if there are any leaks near houses can you imagine me wearing one of these masks while working:doh:

I would hope at least one home owner would come out & give me a well deserved Ass Kickin:applaud:

L:huh:L

I had this idea they should play The Fly at EVERY single show this tour & just flash quick messages of everything Bono would love to say to the crowd

Get it done in one song:up:

Sometimes it is quite hard, no matter how hard you try, to defend U2 and your love of them to outsiders, and this is one of those times.

I love this quote.....I nominate it to be the quote of the year.

I appreciate the idea and I understand U2 want to do something in support of Burma, but the masks are just ridiculous. Gotta love stubborn Bono and how he insists on people getting out their masks :lol:

Another thing he doesn't realize in saying 'wear it in shops and pubs, on trains and buses' is that masks are notoriously worn by robbers- try walking into a bank or convenience store in one of those things and they'll push the button and call the cops on you!

Didnt Roger Waters do something like this in the early 90's on the wall tour?

Yeah it looks kinda cool, but to raise awareness come on! bs, Bono could give her a shout out during Walk On, like he did on various songs on the vertigo tour, at this stage we are all aware of Aung San Su Kyi, wearing a mask will do nothing!

I don't even really think there's anything weird about putting on the masks at the concert, if you want to, it makes a statement and it's part of the show. It's the part about him wanting us to wear them to work, the store, etc. that is so stupid and unrealistic.

yea! no one would ever think of going around town in some stupid costume ...

vatican.jpg

The difference here is your picture depicts a well known celebrity who is dressing up in character, and it turned out to be a photo op, plus its ironic as hell given his location. Totally different from some random guy/girl on the street, subway, pub, work, or school who wants to be a freak and wear a mask around.

And if people want to wear them at the concert, fine, but think how ironic it is that the band are printing out 90,000 of these masks per show and passing them out to people....for what? All they are really accomplishing is wasting paper, which isnt good for the enviornment.

If they really want to make a statement, pass out condoms or something to promote safe sex.

If they really want to make a statement, pass out condoms or something to promote safe sex.

and if they really really wanted to make a statement, they would pass out condoms with aung san suu kyi's face on them. The Burmese junta might actually capitulate if they saw that

but i know you wild U2 fans will just start throwing them around the stadium like frisbees, so forget it

Back
Top Bottom