Now that we've heard the clip...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Honestly, from listening to this clip I'm pretty sure it's too early to say something about the direction U2's music is going to take.

All I hear are soaring vocals by Bono and I love that. I want the new album to be strong vocally. And I honestly don't think (and don't hope) this will be a B-side. U2 should do what they feel like doing and what I've heard and read so far, it all sounds very good to me.

I love U2 fans. So much excitement over a barely discernable clip that could be for anything and may not ever surface in any form. There is no doubt most of are very passionate about U2 and the music. I love that.

That being said to try to come up with a feel or context for the next album based on this barely audible sound byte is a stretch to me. But some posts make for an enjoyable read. Will be interesting to compare some of them when the album does come out.

I love U2 fans. So much excitement over a barely discernable clip that could be for anything and may not ever surface in any form. There is no doubt most of are very passionate about U2 and the music. I love that.

That being said to try to come up with a feel or context for the next album based on this barely audible sound byte is a stretch to me. But some posts make for an enjoyable read. Will be interesting to compare some of them when the album does come out.

it's not a stretch to be able to tell that the vocal and chord patterns are different than their last two albums though.

it's not a stretch to be able to tell that the vocal and chord patterns are different than their last two albums though.

Sure it is, it may not even be for the new album. No one knows what was even being played and the quality is so bad. Its one clip. Even if its is on the album it could be the song that is different from the rest.

Sure it is, it may not even be for the new album. No one knows what was even being played and the quality is so bad. Its one clip. Even if its is on the album it could be the song that is different from the rest.

that's why i just commented on the song, and not how it would fit in with the album. just commenting on what i heard from the clip.

I listened 3 times to this clip then I erased the whole thing off of my computer. If it was still on my computer, I'm sure it would of hit a 100 listens within 48 hours. Some part of me doesn't want to know this too well just yet.
But the clip did its job for me. I'm excited. Damn excited! :rockon:

that's why i just commented on the song, and not how it would fit in with the album. just commenting on what i heard from the clip.

I'm confused, because my comments specifically were in regards to the thread in general and stated it was about the context of the "album" and you quoted those comments. Oh well, no big deal. :)

I'm confused, because my comments specifically were in regards to the thread in general and stated it was about the context of the "album" and you quoted those comments. Oh well, no big deal. :)

my bad, i guess we were having two different conversations, haha! :)

Ok...I've listened to it dozens of times now and have convinced myself that parts of the guitar solo were heard in the Irishteen clips that were posted a while back. Anyone else think the same?

What clip? :grumpy: It was removed before I could download it. :scream: Now that's just frustrating. Can someone at least post the lyrics?

You can't tell anything from the clip. But you can tell quite a bit about people who think they can.

I agree. This is a golden opportunity for super optimistic diehard fans to come out of the woodwork and let their imaginations run wild. I was the same before HTDAAB and thought I KNEW it was going to be one of U2's best albums. A lot of people agreed with me too. Well, we can all see how that turned out. I've learned to expect the worst from U2. Yeah that sounds depressing, but I'm never let down anymore like I was with Atomic Bomb. I didn't like WitS before it came out and I liked it even less when I finally heard it. Same with that "All My Life" song. At first I thought it sounded GREAT. But after a few listens I realized it was going to get old really quick, and it did. Now I dread the thought of that song being on a future album. I'm actually able to think rationally now and say to myself "ok, despite how excited I am this still sounds like stereotypical U2 and it's nothing new".

Basically unless the band does something totally out of left field and suprises the crap out of me I don't think I'll be too excited.

Sorry, I think some of us forgot for a while that being positive and optimistic is not allowed on this board.

I apologize for breaking the rules.

:huh:

Sorry, I think some of us forgot for a while that being positive and optimistic is not allowed on this board.

I apologize for breaking the rules.

:huh:

Sometimes I think posters like shart1780 would be devastated if U2 released another masterpiece. Without the outlet to incessantly moan they probably wouldn't even come on here. :shrug:

I agree. This is a golden opportunity for super optimistic diehard fans to come out of the woodwork and let their imaginations run wild. I was the same before HTDAAB and thought I KNEW it was going to be one of U2's best albums. A lot of people agreed with me too. Well, we can all see how that turned out. I've learned to expect the worst from U2. Yeah that sounds depressing, but I'm never let down anymore like I was with Atomic Bomb. I didn't like WitS before it came out and I liked it even less when I finally heard it. Same with that "All My Life" song. At first I thought it sounded GREAT. But after a few listens I realized it was going to get old really quick, and it did. Now I dread the thought of that song being on a future album. I'm actually able to think rationally now and say to myself "ok, despite how excited I am this still sounds like stereotypical U2 and it's nothing new".

Basically unless the band does something totally out of left field and suprises the crap out of me I don't think I'll be too excited.

I almost completely agree with you.
Accept for the 2 tracks almost everybody dislikes here (AMAAW & Yahweh) and Vertigo I think every track on HTDAAB gets old very fast. Some of them have the "instant-appeal" effect, but then turn out to be very one-dimensional and don't stand the test of time. HTDAAB just doesn't have that lasting power that you just can't get enough off, like UF, JT, AB and even Zooropa do..

Now, I also wasn't blown away wth the beach-clip AND the end-result of WITS. Nice tune, but no more than that.. very HTDAAB.
And "All My Life" is as exciting as a common "Youth-For-Christ"-song. Or the little brother of "Stuck ..."

The first signs that this album with it's tracks might blow us all out of our socks still have to happen for me... U2 still seems stuck in their own HTDAAB-cage for now! (although I still have hope..)

The first signs that this album with it's tracks might blow us all out of our socks still have to happen for me... U2 still seems stuck in their own HTDAAB-cage for now! (although I still have hope..)

'No Line on the Horizon' doesn't sound in the least bit HTDAAB to me. :hmm:

I didn't hear the clip but if it sounds like U2 I don't like it
U2 shouldn't sound like U2
they should sound like the band who's chopping down Bono
forever, always, on every album

:up:

I fear the day when U2 won't sound like U2 anymore.

I cannot understand how some people here can make such ridiculous statements like: U2 shouldn't sound like U2.

Ever thought about yourself sounding stereotypical and predictable in your constant whining, just like a broken record?

Why are you here, seriously? If you want a band NOT to sound like U2, go to another band's board. This is getting annoying.

speak for yourself! we don't "all" agree with that. I love the album. to each his own ya know?

Yes the arrogance of these serial moaners is astounding. Take Gibson Girls post earlier on this thread as a typical example. When reflecting upon her original review HTDAAB she states:

"I was young. And stupid. Very stupid."

How utterly condescending is that.....and yet very typical of the vocal minorty.

Yes the arrogance of these serial moaners is astounding. Take Gibson Girls post earlier on this thread as a typical example. When reflecting upon her original review HTDAAB she states:

"I was young. And stupid. Very stupid."

How utterly condescending is that.....and yet very typical of the vocal minorty.

:happy:

We all got caught up in the hype. I honestly thought that HTDAAB was the best U2 album since Achtung Baby, as I desperately wanted to believe the words coming out of Bono's mouth prior to the release of the album. As time went on, I realised that my initial thoughts had been clouded by the excitement of the occasion (i.e. my first time witnessing a new U2 release since becoming a fan in late 2000) and Bono's hyperbole machine. Those initial reactions of mine, in retrospect, are rather embarrassing.

I've learned to take new album news with a very large grain of salt, especially if comments from :bono: are somehow involved. I have also learned to listen to new material with a critical ear, not a purely fanatical one - and I don't mean "critical" in a negative sense. Regarding this new clip, I can barely hear anything underneath all of the background noise, so I am not ready to form any sort of opinion on U2's current direction. I'm interested to see what they come up with on the new album. If I like it, I like it...if I don't, I don't. How I personally feel about it shouldn't bother you in the slightest. :shrug:

I don't think I'd ever say I felt embarrassed about LIKING any of U2's music. I actually NEVER feel embarrassed about liking anyone's music. :tsk:

I don't think I'd ever say I felt embarrassed about LIKING any of U2's music. I actually NEVER feel embarrassed about liking anyone's music. :tsk:

I'm not embarrassed by the fact that I liked HTDAAB. I'm embarrassed by my over-the-top comments written in the heat of the moment.

Yahweh better than Love Is Blindness? I mean, really. :yuck:

:happy:

We all got caught up in the hype. I honestly thought that HTDAAB was the best U2 album since Achtung Baby, as I desperately wanted to believe the words coming out of Bono's mouth prior to the release of the album. As time went on, I realised that my initial thoughts had been clouded by the excitement of the occasion (i.e. my first time witnessing a new U2 release since becoming a fan in late 2000) and Bono's hyperbole machine. Those initial reactions of mine, in retrospect, are rather embarrassing.

I think your missing the point entirely. I don't have a problem with people changing their minds regarding how great HTDAAB is or isn't; that's just opinion. What I do mind is the condacending attitude of people like yourself who like to pronouce as 'fact' your opinion regarding the album and who by treat people who like it as stupid.

I think your missing the point entirely. I don't have a problem with people changing their minds regarding how great HTDAAB is or isn't; that's just opinion. What I do mind is the condacending attitude of people like yourself who like to pronouce as 'fact' your opinion regarding the album and who by treat people who like it as stupid.

Roy, almost everything we post about at Interference involves personal opinion. I shouldn't have to add "IMO" to the end of every sentence I write, as it is implied the moment I hit that "submit reply" button. How does "I was young and stupid, very stupid" translate into "all people who like HTDAAB are stupid," anyway? That's your interpretation of my comment. I was mocking myself, not anyone else.

Back
Top Bottom