Not impressed by the set-list!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry dude, but, you need to attend a show, and see 75,000 people going berserk for songs you are bored of, and maybe then weigh in on the set lists. We represent a tiny minority.

I think the people on this forum have no perspective whatsoever and that leads to threads like this. Sure, I could craft a 23 song set list that includes not one song played this tour so far, and it would be an amazing show....but I can also draw pictures of a horse with wings on it but that does not mean a fucking pegasus is going to show on up at my doorstep any time soon.

When you find yourself complaining about a thing more than you compliment it, maybe it's time to divest yourself of the source of your complaints.

And for anyone that thinks U2 should waste one second of thought on people that follow the tour via internet only, sorry, you have lost touch with reality.

Hey, it's good to be back on interference!

that's why i said on paper. at the show itself it's a completely different story and i should have acknowledged it a bit more obviously for those with reading comprehension issues.

People are still going to see U2 in concert given the chance, whether or not they pore over 1500 setlists or whether they have no idea what they're going to play. Because a) they love U2; b) they're pretty darned sure it's going to be a great show no matter what they play.

Absolutely.

I think we represent the hardcore fans here, and we want the more obscure stuff. It's a rational desire to have.

I'm sorry dude, but, you need to attend a show, and see 75,000 people going berserk for songs you are bored of, and maybe then weigh in on the set lists. We represent a tiny minority.

I think the people on this forum have no perspective whatsoever and that leads to threads like this. Sure, I could craft a 23 song set list that includes not one song played this tour so far, and it would be an amazing show....but I can also draw pictures of a horse with wings on it but that does not mean a fucking pegasus is going to show on up at my doorstep any time soon.

When you find yourself complaining about a thing more than you compliment it, maybe it's time to divest yourself of the source of your complaints.

And for anyone that thinks U2 should waste one second of thought on people that follow the tour via internet only, sorry, you have lost touch with reality.

:bow: :up:

:love: it's good to have you back

i will say that on paper the setlists are starting to get pathetic even for u2.

funniest thing i've read in a while... :D

on paper, a setlist is meaningless, it's just like a shopping list ffs...

at Paris I, some of the songs that have been slagged off in here were some of the most awesome moments in the set :shrug:

i really wish U2 would play "Touch" today. it would really help my concert experience from my home computer.

A few things:

I can't speak for everyone, but I'm not expecting Bruce-like sets here. Honestly, all they have to do please virtually everybody is make 7-8 of the slots of the current setlist rotational with 2(or sometimes 3) songs each. That's it. For example:

Breathe
No Line On The Horizon
Get On Your Boots
Magnificent
Beautiful Day
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For/A Sort Of Homecoming
Angel Of Harlem/If God Will Send His Angels/Desire
In A Little While/Lemon
Electrical Storm/Gone/Mofo
Unknown Caller
The Unforgettable Fire
City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
Sunday Bloody Sunday/Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me/Until The End Of The World
Pride(In The Name Of Love)/New Year's Day/Discotheque
MLK
Walk On/All I Want Is You
Where The Streets Have No Name
One/Please
Ultraviolet(Light My Way)
With Or Without You/Bad
Moment Of Surrender

Could you imagine the suspense every night after I'll Go Crazy as the crowd waits to hear if they're getting SBS or HMTMKKMKM or UTEOTW, and after that, whether they're getting Pride or NYD or Discotheque, whether they're getting Walk On or AIWIY, whether they're getting One or Please, whether they're getting WOWY or Bad?

And these are NOT 'obscure'. That word is overused in this discussion. Just because a song is more than a decade old and not an all-time hit for the band doesn't mean it is obscure. Songs that were released as singles and videos and songs that were regulars and live favorites on at least one tour are not obscure. Luminous Times(Hold Onto Love) would be obscure. Wild Irish Rose would be obscure. Treasure(Whatever Happened To Pete The Chop) would be obscure. Holy Joe would be obscure. But, imo, Please is not obscure(single, video, live favorite). Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me is not obscure(single, video, live favorite, one of their biggest hits of the 90s). A Sort Of Homecoming is not obscure(live favorite back in the day). Until The End Of The World is not obscure(live favorite, video later on). Lemon is not obscure(single, video). If God Will Send His Angels is not obscure(single, video). I mean, they rehearsed Drowning Man, which is FAR more obscure than the songs many of us are looking for(wasn't a single, no video, never performed live, is 26 years old). Party Girl was performed and it is arguably more obscure than anything else I've mentioned. There has to be a middle ground between 'all-time hit that everybody and their mother knows that's been played at every single gig since its release' and 'obscure b-side from 20 years ago that's never been played live' or 'Acrobat'.

So, why is my quickly-put-together setlist above so unrealistic, such a product of a fantasy-land?

Also, I think we'd be remiss to not recognize that a lot of this discussion is probably a 'U2 should perform Zooropa and Pop stuff live' discussion incognito. It's just that I'd give a lot to go back in time see a Popmart show or a fifth-leg ZooTV show(ok, any ZooTV show). No, U2 shouldn't cater to people that follow setlists only and don't go to any show, that's silly. But they could think of people who have gotten into U2 in the past 10-12 years who have never gotten a chance to see HMTMKMKM or Discotheque or Please(full band) or Mofo or Lemon live. They don't even have to play all of them, but a few would be nice.

But yes, as others have said, I'll go to my one show in New York and it will be amazing, whether the set is what it is now or whether it has changed in any way, and I'm very excited for it, I'm really looking forward to it, especially since I've never seen them in a stadium before. :up: :rockon:

Could you imagine the suspense every night after I'll Go Crazy as the crowd waits to hear if they're getting SBS or HMTMKKMKM or UTEOTW, and after that, whether they're getting Pride or NYD or Discotheque, whether they're getting Walk On or AIWIY, whether they're getting One or Please, whether they're getting WOWY or Bad?

You don't get it.

There would be NO extra suspense at any one point. Don't you realize how small of a minority we here are? The vast majority of the fucking crowd has NO IDEA what was played the night before, or the week before, or the month before.

For the average concert go-er, the pause between each song provides the same amount of suspense.

I really don't think anyone on this board actually expects a Springsteen type experience, and if they do, well they are delusional. Everyone here knows exactly what kind of a band U2 is and I think most here acknowledge and are not "ignoring" that the current format is the type of show of U2 obviously wants to perform. Alot of people on this board are simply expressing that they would like to see some variety.

Great post! These points hit the nail right on the head! Variety is Good!

Exactly. We're not asking for Springsteen - hell, the setlist could even stay static, or have the same structure, if you catch my drift. It's just criminal that there's brilliant songs out there that aren't being played, when they easily could.

There are bands playing in Bars every Saturday night who do it. So why cant a band who demands $250.00 per ticket do it as well?

Rag-Tag Bar Band plays the show they want to play.

U2 plays the show they want to play.

Thats great but I think what alot of people here are asking why does a band with a song catalog of 30 years play the same setlist everynight? Theres alot of great music between Boy and the Unforgettable Fire that could be played.

yay!! :D

was such a great concert wasn't it! :)

whereabouts were you??

I was in Sector B, Tribune Haute. Pretty high but great view from the entire stadium :drool: I didn't take a lot of photos because I was jumping and singing. My girlfriend tried to do that job but she, too, started jumping and dancing. :heart: I managed (and U2) to convert her to U2 fandom :up:

Thats great but I think what alot of people here are asking why does a band with a song catalog of 30 years play the same setlist everynight? Theres alot of great music between Boy and the Unforgettable Fire that could be played.

The simple reason is, that a very small minority of people go to more than one concert per tour, but I take your point.

You don't get it.

There would be NO extra suspense at any one point. Don't you realize how small of a minority we here are? The vast majority of the fucking crowd has NO IDEA what was played the night before, or the week before, or the month before.

For the average concert go-er, the pause between each song provides the same amount of suspense.

Fair point, you're right. I got a little carried away with the suspense thing; it doesn't even matter that much to me. If I knew for sure that they were going to play Please and Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me in advance of the show, the lack of suspense wouldn't matter at all to me.

But I still think the rotation idea with the warhorses is do-able.

yeah, I was obligated by them to go see them at Paris :angry:
Greedy Bastards! :angry:

I never wanted to see Paris, that hateful city:censored:
Shame on you, U2! Shame on you! :|:rant:

Demanding, really? :wink:

The simple reason is, that a very small minority of people go to more than one concert per tour, but I take your point.

You make a great point here but I think what I'm trying to say is everybody has their favorite THING to do. For some it may be a NASCAR race, Football or baseball game, Concert of a different band, golf or whatever.

Now say your a U2 fan and every 3 to 4 years you save money to go to several shows. I love U2 and live in Pennsylvania everytime they tour I try to see them in NJ, Philly and NY or whatever is in driving distance. Now I'll be honest I think it sucks if after 3 to 4 years of waiting to see my favorite band play that after I see them for 5 shows its the same setlist night in and night out.

Then what do I do only see one show or take up Golf? Theres alot of great music from Boy, October, War and so on that may never be played again. And in all honesty thats a shame.

koolaid-large.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom