No More AB Love?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jeez, half the damn album has been in constant rotation since it was released. For a while, the band forgot they recorded anything else during the nineties. It's hardly a crime that there's slightly less of it around these days. Most of it could use the rest. It still regularly gets more songs played than Boy, October, The Unforgettable Fire, Rattle and Hum, Zooropa, and Pop.

U2FanPeter said:

Variety is good, but it can be sobering to see what songs are expendable and which ones are not.

Man I couldn't agree with this statement more. During the first leg they felt Zoo Station was one of the most expendable spots and it would get the axe when a new song would appear. Now both Zoo Station and The Fly are getting the axe. I know I don't speak for everybody, but those two songs were one of the, if not the, best part of the show. And now last night, they wanted to throw in I Will Follow. That's fine, but what song do they decide to take out? Electric Co! If Zoo Station/The Fly wasn't the best part of the show, then it would definitely be Electric Co.

Variety is great, but when they take out the absolute best songs of the set it just makes you scratch your head. If you want to put in I Will Follow early in the set, why not take out a song like Elevation? I know Elevation is decent live, but would you rather hear Elevation or Electric Co? Or hell, here is a crazy idea, how about take out Bullet for a show? But now that's just crazy talk.

Last edited:
<<take out Bullet>>

What's weird is that Pride and Bullet have been removed from shows in the past 18 years. Why are they now staples?

Another thing that irks me is that the lyric of Bullet should be altered for inflation. Bono has already fixed the global time error in Pride. Or can major politicians still be bought off for US$400 these days?

u2fp

Well said typhoon. AB could hardly get any more love as it is: 4 songs on Popmart, 5 on Elevation and now 6 songs - half of the whole album - on Vertigo tour.

Of course, some people won't be happy till we get the obscure (the less known the better) songs from Zooropa and Pop.
Having a single played and a song that didn't even feature on the Zooropa tour just won't cut it.

Last edited:
Ehm, I would say that "The First Time" is a pretty obscure choice from Zooropa.

Nisse said:
It's on the Best of so it's not that obscure.

See, I beg to differ. I can't tell you how many of my friends have both Best Of CD's, buy tickets to concerts and never listen to the B-sides, appart from Sweetest Thing, who would not have a clue what the Frist Time is. I think it's pretty obsure. :shrug: It's just one of those songs.

U2Man said:
Ehm, I would say that "The First Time" is a pretty obscure choice from Zooropa.

Exactly, that's an exception to the U2 tour rule that if a song doesn't make it on its "first" tour (that promotes the album that it's on, Zoo TV in this case) it won't get played at all.

I'm saying even this (acoustic versions suck don't they?) won't keep them happy.

Last edited:
The "obscure" First Time is on THREE u2 albums!!!!

Zooropa, MDH Soundtrack and the 2nd Best of.

I've never heard any live version of the song, but I think it does hold potential. I think it's quite hard to legitimately bitch at the 3rd leg setlists so far.

u2fp

I think the point is The First Time is not known by most casual fans and I would say thats a pretty accurate statement.

This thread is further proof (if there was ever a doubt) that it doesnt matter what U2 plays. People are not going to like part of it. Each their own, I would expend my energy though in more constructive pursuits.

the 9/20 show was the perfect setlist (for this tour at least)

if they were still doing shows like that id be a happy camper

U2 can please some of the fans all of the time,
and all of the fans some of the time,
but U2 cannot please all of the fans all of the time.

I think fans should remember this.

Chizip said:

OK, so you are saying that if they did that exact setlist, every single night you would be happy?

Somehow I doubt that judging by your prior entries on this topic. I KNOW the bitchers would be going nuts if they did it also. I agree, it was a good setlist. Nothing wrong with Chicago 2 third leg either or Milwaukee, or Minny, etc....

Axver said:

That's very sad.

Sounds like common sense to me. How dare they leave out Discotheque; after teasing us with it for two nights. It better get played again; or I won't be responsible for my actions. :wink:

Chizip said:

Nah, they may repeat the setlist of MSG 7-10 in Boston in December. :wink:

The Ocean, The First Time, Fast Cars and Crumbs From Your Table, that's all I'm asking for. :)

packcrush said:

Sounds like common sense to me. How dare they leave out Discotheque; after teasing us with it for two nights. It better get played again; or I won't be responsible for my actions. :wink:

Discotheque is dead if it isn't played in NY this week. People have said it didn't go over too good when it was played except for tour regulars who loved it. Bring back some up tempo rockers during the encore is all I want. They've slowed it down too much IMO.

Yeah, I thought the encore was supposed to be up-tempo part of the setlist before leading into the closing songs.

Doesn't the First Time kill the momentum of the show? I mean, the fans are all anxious to see the band come out, and they're greeted with.....whaaaa?

(10-09-2005) NYC MSG 2 - U2.com*
NYC MSG 2

City of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Elevation
I Will Follow
All I want is You
Beautiful Day
Miracle Drug
Sometimes you can’t make it on your own
Love and Peace or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky
Miss Sarajevo
Human Rights
Pride in the Name of Love
Where the Streets have no Name
One

The First Time ----------------> The Fly
Wild Horses ----------------> Mysterious Ways or The First Time
With or Without You ----------------> Ultraviolet

All Because of You
Fast Cars
Original Of The Species
“40”

Canadiens1160 said:
Yeah, I thought the encore was supposed to be up-tempo part of the setlist before leading into the closing songs.

Doesn't the First Time kill the momentum of the show? I mean, the fans are all anxious to see the band come out, and they're greeted with.....whaaaa?

:hmm: let me consult my setlist encore law here. Oh wait, there isnt one!! :laugh: Sorry couldnt resist. But where are these set rules you are indicating from? The band will do what they want. It actually does work very well. They have been doing the 2nd encore with uptempo lately anyway ABOY and Fast Cars. Works for me.

On another note, I think Discotheque will be done this week with a new snippet on the end, just a hunch. Is it going to be a staple for this tour? NO But I think it will appear sporadically.

Personally I haven't been disappointed either of the setlists at my 2 concerts. For me to hear WOWY for the first time live was incredible! Didn't get to hear it the 1st time in Chicago so the 2nd time around was a treat. They did a good job of rocking the encores with Fast Cars and ABOY. It's all about variety and like it was said before U2 can't please ALL of their fans at once! Oh and I agree that they should bring Discotheque back,love that song,lol. Won't do me any good now though since Im done with the concerts,lol.

Last edited:
If it's no good, we can just sell the multitracks down at Camden :lock: if it's no good, we can just sell the multitracks down at Camden :lock: if it's no good, we can just sell the multitracks down at Camden :lock: if it's no good, we can just sell the multitracks down at Camden :lock: if it's no good, we can just sell the multitracks down at Camden :lock: if it's no good, we can just sell the multitracks down at Camden :lock: if it's no good, we can just sell the multitracks down at Camden :lock: if it's no good, we can just sell the multitracks down at Camden :lock: if it's no good, we can just sell the multitracks down at Camden :lock: if it's no good, we can just sell the multitracks down at Camden :lock: if it's no good,

it's not a trick... you can't learn it it's the way you don't pay that's okey 'cause you can't earn it you know you'e chewing bubblegum you know that is but you still want some 'cause you just can't get enough of that lovie dovie stuff LET GO LET'S GO... DISCOTHEQUE GO GO... LET GO... DISCOTHEQUE looking for the one but you know you're somwhere else instead I want to be the song be the song that you hear in your head LOVE but you take what you can get 'cause it's all that you can find oh you know there's something more but tonight, tonight, tonight :lock: BOOM CHA :lock: DISCOTHEQUE :lock: BOOM CHA :lock: DISCOTHEQUE :lock: BOOM CHA :lock: DISCOTHEQUE :lock: BOOM CHA :lock: DISCOTHEQUE :lock: BOOM CHA :lock: DISCOTHEQUE

28112521640.jpg

Edge said when he went back over the 90s albums that The First Time stood out as something they should have pushed more, hence why it's on the greatest hits album, and probably why it's now been added(aside from the fact that it's an easy song to play)

Back
Top Bottom