No More AB Love?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Numb1075

ONE love, blood, life
I'm noticing a trend w/ this tour as it makes it's way through the 3rd leg.....

Songs from Achtung Baby appear to be dwindling.

We were hearing Zoo Station every night, The Fly every night, One every night, Mysterious Ways in rotation, WGRYWH is making some nights, UTEotW a few nights in Europe....

But now, it's pretty much One and maybe 1 other song from this landmark album.

This is suprising because it has so many strong tracks that sound fantastic live and just about everyone at the show owns the album.

Could they be bored of playing them?

It just seems that out of all their albums, AB would be featured a lot more.

Anyone have any thoughts on the lack of AB LOVE?

It's called 'variety'. I thought that's what everyone wanted.

I'm all for variety and am certainly not complaining. I just think it's a bit odd to almost "ignore" AB lately.

Axver said:
It's called 'variety'. I thought that's what everyone wanted.

Ahh, but it's not the RIGHT kind of variety.

All is right with the world, after a short break complainers are back, even though we got a Zooropa and a Pop song,
just
people
wanted.

sorry, but there's something really sad about the band playing 4 songs on a nightly basis from The Joshua Tree, and now the AB selection has been whittled down to two. shameful.

you can ask for variety and a little common sense as well. There's NO REASON With or Without You needs to be played nightly--and it wasn't at the beginning of the tour.

We all have different opinions, but poll after poll on this site has proven that Achtung is the favorite among fans (and probably second fav among the general public). It seems obvious that this album should be represented by more than one song.

Hey, yeah, only one Achtung song was in last night's setlist. That's historic - first time since the release of Achtung that a set has had less than two Achtung songs.

Some of you may not like that record (I certainly do, though), but it's evidence of some variety.

Also of note is that EBTTRT never turned up, even if it was on a rehearsal setlist.

Variety is good, but it can be sobering to see what songs are expendable and which ones are not.

u2fp

gosh i love Achtung, i have hope they'll return with a great fervor to strike powerful feelings into the hearts of those in doubt of its greatness.

Axver/Miroslava - you mistook my thread as a setlist b!tch thread...it is not. I am happy w/ the songs chosen for the most part and U2 can do no wrong in my book. I am just stating that it is suprising that such a landmark album is off the radar recently.

i'm not complaining, i love what their doing on this leg.

the AB songs were incredible, but at the same time I saw them 4 times on the first leg, I got plenty of "Zoo Station", etc.

I too hope for the return of the Achtung Encore, the one recently seems weak and dull, more like the acoustic sets from previous tours that I didn't care much for. What's next? Acoustic Staring at the Sun?

Screw that, I either want a ZooTV encore or Popmart Encore. I must have The Fly and/or Discotheque to be satisfied. :(

Most U2 songs need to be rotated out for a while to stay fresh. I'm OK with Zoo Station going away for a bit and EVEN ok with the majesty of The Fly alternating with some other stuff.

What I don't get is why they aren't still playing that awesome new version of Discotheque anymore!?!?!?!?

Niceman said:
Most U2 songs need to be rotated out for a while to stay fresh. I'm OK with Zoo Station going away for a bit and EVEN ok with the majesty of The Fly alternating with some other stuff.

What I don't get is why they aren't still playing that awesome new version of Discotheque anymore!?!?!?!?

After watching the bootleg video of it, I have to say that the new arrangement needs more work. I like the "harder" feel the '05 version has, but to me, it was obvious the band wasn't 100% comfortable with the arrangement. Larry seemed to really be drumming like a mofo through that song.

Me, give me a Vertigo/Fly/Discotheque 1st encore or opening 3 songs and I'll be happy.

T.B.

Not everyone wants variety, especially if you really only care about the concert you are going to. If you like want to hear THE FLY and you get THE FIRST TIME, well then you may be disappointed. Personally, I feel the group had it right with the Achtung encore and now the new encores seems disjointed and boring IMHO. Maybe they are bored too.

Partyslammer said:

After watching the bootleg video of it, I have to say that the new arrangement needs more work. I like the "harder" feel the '05 version has, but to me, it was obvious the band wasn't 100% comfortable with the arrangement. Larry seemed to really be drumming like a mofo through that song.

Me, give me a Vertigo/Fly/Discotheque 1st encore or opening 3 songs and I'll be happy.

T.B.

wait there is video of them performing discotheque!? where?

Ahh, but it's not the RIGHT kind of variety.

All is right with the world, after a short break complainers are back, even though we got a Zooropa and a Pop song,
just
people
wanted. [/B]

one song from zooropa and one song from pop...songs that were played what...a combined 10 times?

that
is
not
what
we
wanted

but of course, reasonable thinking isn't something some of us are known for is it...

at least stuck in a moment's back in fine form!!! OMG did any of you see it on conan?!?!?! there was SOOOOO much soul!!!! that is an amazing soul song, totally helps me through rough times!!!!!

:happy:

plus the way bono moves... :drool: he's SO into that song, you can SEE IT!!!!

swing your hips babyY!!!!!! get stuck in MY moment, bono!!!!!!!

The should be playing Discotheque in the first encore slot every night. Zoo Station is cool, but the return of Discotheque....oh baby. Then just have the Fly in the second spot as usual, or alternate it for something else.

If you want variety, drop the tired stuff that no longer packs a punch live... Still Haven't Found, Bullet, WOWY, SBS. God, how many steps tuned down are they playing SBS these days anyway, 5?

I really like the variety U2 brings at this moment of the Vertigo Tour, but I really am glad I've seen the second leg of the tour with the AB encore. I'd rather have zoo station and the fly over the first time and with or without you. But still...I really like the 'variety' at this moment.

AB is my favourite album but it has been very well represented in the past so I'm not too disappointed to see it being but down to just 1 song at present. I'd like to see some more Pop songs on Leg 3 (Mofo, Disco as a regular and Gone would be great), as well as Exit perhaps.

OF COURSE, if they were going to bring back UV then I would have no objection at all. Also, I like having Wild Horses in the set as they haven't played it much and because I'm really digging this song these last few months :up:

I don't object to dropping the AB encore *if* they replaced those songs with equally up-tempo rockers.

Replacing Zoo Station with Discotheque was fine. Switching Mysterious Ways with Until the End of the World or even a full band Wild Horse is fine.

But swapping out the 2 lead 1st encore rockers with a relatively simple, slower song like "The First Time" and an acoustic version of "Stuck" smacks of musical laziness, imo.

The whole point is now the shows have a completely different (and not for the better, imo) feel once you get past "One" even though they are mixing up the encores a bit from night to night.

T.B.

yeah, what happened to Mysterious Ways?

I really love that song live

I'd also prefer they keep that AB encore part of most shows. Zoo Station is so powerful as a lead-in to a show (or encore) and that album was absolutely great with so many tracks that sound awesome live.

And, btw, just reading through the posts I don't think anyone here is complaining about variety. In fact, I think the variety has been a strength of this tour. I just think a lot of people would like to see more AB songs in the rotation of variety on this leg. (I hope that made sense ;) )

Back
Top Bottom